New point and shoot: budget 15k

My recommendations based on my research online. (Was myself looking for a slim camera)

Ixus 95 (If you do not need HD) -- ~8k

Ixus 120 (If HD is a requirement) -- ~11k

Pansonic TZ7 (12x zoom) -- ~15k ( Grey Market Price )

my suggestion wud be panasonic TZ6 or TZ7 , tz6 has got 10x optical zoom, in that price range i think u shud not look any further than this , sony one mentioned by u is just ur obsession for overpriced sony products

TZ6, TZ7 are excellent cameras with good optical zoom. So go ahead if you can spend that much money and are okay with their size. Dimensions and weight : 103.3 x 59.6 x 32.8 mm (206g).

I was really impressed by video and sound quality of TZ7 HD videos.

However, if you can do without 12x zoom, and need a more portable solution, go with Ixus 120. Dimensions and weight : 89.5 x 54.9 x 20.0mm (120g)

Why do u need the camera? Normal, tourist, party photography??? CYBERSHOT then is very good for this purpose. Interface, computer compatibility, longevity, lens quality.... in all these depts. , CYPBERSHOT beats its competitors by a mile!

If u r into serious photography... look for CANON. Strong Color depths, fantastic lens... and its my personal fav. :D

computer compatibility? what is wrong with you? Just get a damn memory card reader and pop in the memory card :S

Jesus, being on a tech forum you are talking about "computer compatibility" of cameras. Rather if you've got a Sony, they only support Memory Stick Pro Duo and you don't have the Sony cable, then good luck finding them memory card slots on ANY laptop. On the other hand, SD cards are universal.

@JamPack - Indeed, I own a TZ7 and the video quality is superb! Actually, I'm planning to put mine up for sale since I'm planning to move to dSLRs now.

I also recommend TZ7. It has excellent video capability inits class, and really great performance in low light imaging. Its noise on low light is better than even Canon SX 1 IS. Image quality is almost same as FZ35, with less than half the size. And 12X optical zoom on such a compact body is really great feature.

If you doesnt care about size, then get the FZ 35. :)

Performs an edge better than TZ7 in every aspect + better battery life + 18X zoom + better IS + many others.

TZ7 is an excellent camera but won't fit in budget of 15k, unless OP wants to go grey market way. I didn't want to either, and that along with portability factor, made me settle for Ixus 120.

Yep, if you plan to play catch with your friends with the camera, then you might need warranty, provided one of them is a clumsy catcher.

Btw, I have as good as new TZ7 up for sale, bought it last year in September, comes with 8GB SDHC Card and an extra battery of higher capacity.

Do note, not all third party batteries work with Panasonic TZ7 cameras after the latest firmware update, since the battery has a chip in it that stores the information/settings. I am providing a higher capacity battery ALONG with the original that is fully compatible with Panasonic TZ7/ZS3.

Well if you do want a slim camera rather then the T90,i would recommed the TX1 available for 14k in ebay.This has the sony EXMOR sensor which is quite good,(the updated version of the sensor is used by many camera manufactures such as nikon,canon,fuji,ricoh,casio etc).
What makes panasonic cameras good is the leica lens without them they would be way behind in performance.The T range from sony use an equaly good Carl Ziess lens know for their punchy colors.
Dismissing a camera because its a sony or buying a cameras just because its canon isn't a good decision.In the sony the ones with their G lens are the ones that aren't good.
But if i were you i would go with the panasonic TZ range because of the massive zoom advantage.

I am not a Sony DSC fan.. I am using cannon SD750 for 1.5 yrs and love it. In India SD comes under IXUS.
Try one with more optical zooms, instead of megapixel (7.5mp - 8mp is gud enough).

adder said:
Well if you do want a slim camera rather then the T90,i would recommed the TX1 available for 14k in ebay.This has the sony EXMOR sensor which is quite good,(the updated version of the sensor is used by many camera manufactures such as nikon,canon,fuji,ricoh,casio etc).

I also considered this one along WX1 due to EXMOR sensor. However, I wasn't satisfied with the user reviews posted everywhere.

iq6886 said:
What about Sony W350 : DSC-W350 : W Series : Digital Still Camera : Sony India

Carl-Zeiss, 4x & slimmer than ixus 120is....
Checked this out as well. But build quality isn't very good. It had excellent daylight pictures but low light ones left a lot to be desired.

No idea about the W350 but canon is supposed to be using the same sensor in the IXUS 130IS.

@jampack
The W series cameras never really impressed me except for the W300 which had a jem of a sensor,IQ match even the more expensive canon G10.
the sony T seres camera i feel have better lens then the W series.

Back