OC & Modding northbridge fan

_pappu_

Skilled
hii,
i have a biostar tp35d2-a7
the northbridge really heats up, and i would like to snap on a fan onto it...if possible by using the 2 pushpins already there to hold the heatsink itself

i would like to know what size of fan should i take so that the push pins align with the holes (not at home so cant measure it myself)

is it a pain to do this and should i just get a full heatsink also of just get a fan to put on???

i guess 35mm fans would work for this.. a bit big for a NB.. but would do the work nicely..
Edit : Why dont u go for the thermalright chipset coolers.. they are good enuf to dissipate the heat..

^^thermalright==EXPENSIVE :O

if i had to take a chipset cooler, i would go for something with a fan from akasa or something silent from zalman..... thats all in my range :p

btw, i also have concerns that i maynot be able to get a fan into that space because of my arctic cooling freezer 7 pro

_pappu_ said:
hii,

i have a biostar tp35d2-a7

the northbridge really heats up, and i would like to snap on a fan onto it...if possible by using the 2 pushpins already there to hold the heatsink itself

i would like to know what size of fan should i take so that the push pins align with the holes (not at home so cant measure it myself)

is it a pain to do this and should i just get a full heatsink also of just get a fan to put on???

Remove the NB HS, clean the stock goop/thermal tape and slap a rice-grain of MX2/AS 5; :)

Put back the HS and if possible remove those push-pins and replace them by a pair of screws, washers, springs and nuts [in this order!!!];

Use a 40mmx20mm [Sunon maglevs or the likes; 150~200 INR :D] or a 60mmx20mm [pretty big for the NB HS though] fan and use either a double sides tape [KMD has the stuff] or use rubber push-pins to secure them;

An aftermkt NB cooler is damn expensive and might set u back by 800 and above; :)

^^me is in uk right now.... can buy stuff here :)

i dont want the aerodrome fans :)

i saw this one akasa northbridge heatsink+fan but the thing is that u only have to stick it to the chip with the thermal tape....no screws or nothing

so dont know how that will do :p

_pappu_ said:
^^me is in uk right now.... can buy stuff here :)

i dont want the aerodrome fans :)

i saw this one akasa northbridge heatsink+fan but the thing is that u only have to stick it to the chip with the thermal tape....no screws or nothing
so dont know how that will do :p

And hence I'd suggest this as a better alternative and well if the Akasa is a Copper based HS; it'd be better than this stock NB HS;

Besides the thermal tape is kinda a double-sided sticky tape so once the NB chip gets heated up, it starts melting and ensures a real-tight adhesiveness b/w the HS and the chip; :)

Hope u got that;

gannu said:
screws, washers, springs and nuts [in this order!!!];

NAH !! the joke goes like this...

nut, screws washer and bolts :eek:hyeah:

(sorry - I just could not stop myself from posting this OT post)

I did get screws washers and nuts for just such a purpose (picture attached) - these screws are very slim and they easily went thru the Nothbridge heat sink mounting holes on my A8N-E. The screws are made of stainless steel the washers are fibre and copper and the nuts are brass :)

Attachments

• Screws.jpg
    Screws.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 58
_pappu_ said:
^^nice...but if i get an aftermarket one, they already have those things with it

I got a Thermalrigt HR-05 SLI Northbridge cooler and that came with a plastic push pin with springs, when I attached a 80mm fan to this HSF it was loosing contact with the chip, the spring was not holding it firmly against the chip, that is why I went to a hardware store and got these screws. I never used the screws - I just stopped using the HR-05 and went back to the stock A8N-E Northbridge cooler.

Back