Budget Above 40k OnePlus 10 dropped in water

I bought a brand new OnePlus 10 Pro 5G two months ago. My kid accidentally dropped the phone into a bucket of water and now its not working. Though the phone came with a one year warranty, the company warranty policy says this will not be covered in that. What can I do about this? Is my phone beyond repair now? Any advise?

If some components have already been shorted then it's dead for good.

Why'd you give a kid your phone in the bathroom? I'm assuming the bucket must be in the bathroom.

You can keep it in the sun also but the battery may not like that. Rice as suggested is a good idea if u can disassemble your device and dry it yourself.

Another point is if the liquid made it into the layers of the LCD then the display is also gone.

OnePlus 10 Pro 5G come with IP68 rating for T-mobile. Although the units are indentical for rest of world, they don't market it with IP rating. But I am still worried how effective that IP rating is in real life scenario.
https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-10-water-resistance/

Anyway I would suggest to get a dehumidifier similar to this and give it a try. I use something similar to keep my camera and lenses fungus free.

https://www.amazon.in/Store2508-Ele...id=1658469063&sprefix=dehumid,aps,883&sr=8-29

I bought a brand new OnePlus 10 Pro 5G two months ago. My kid accidentally dropped the phone into a bucket of water and now its not working. Though the phone came with a one year warranty, the company warranty policy says this will not be covered in that. What can I do about this? Is my phone beyond repair now? Any advise?

Hi Sachin, so sorry to hear that. These things are bound to happen with kids around. I have had a similar experience, but when I purchased my OnePlus 9T, I had also bought an add-on OnePlus Care which came with accidental damage protection plan. This turned out to be a saviour for me, else I would have had to buy a new phone and discard my OnePlus phone. For now, you can try taking it to a OnePlus repair centre and get it checked. But for future, please keep this in mind.

Dry it with a hair dryer and put it in rice box for few days..5-7 days. Then try to power it on.
Hair dryer good. But without heat. You don't want to melt the glue holding it together.

Forget the rice. Use the below instead

If some components have already been shorted then it's dead for good.
That's what you would think but I've heard of people's phones revived in spite of being in water for an extended period of time and the phone has no IP rating. How that is even possible boggles the mind but there are a few anecdotes.

There's a guy in Singapore who restores phones from beyond damaged :)

Last edited:
It used to be with phones and replaceable battery that you'd pull the battery first thing.

With a sealed phone. You switch it off immediately.
I'd think you're good. You just have to be patient and let it dry out. 50-50

This phone has an IP68 rating on T-Mobile, only. The IP68 rating, in case you’re wondering, signifies the durability of the 10 Pro against dust and water. The “6” means the OnePlus 10 Pro is fully dust-tight, while the “8” represents its ability to survive in up to 1.5m of water for up to 30 minutes. This is the same kind of protection offered on the Galaxy S22, the iPhone 13, and more, so we’d say it’s the industry norm in the flagship space.

Last edited:
Back