• Custom fan curve with undervolt

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • custom fan curve only

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Stock

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi,

So i had a question come on fb group and there was a huge discussion/debate and difference of opinion, So i am from old era when 50c idle was considered bad in long run and over 80c temp on gpu was also considered bad in general, Now manufacturer's/nvidia/amd have put in various protection so your hardware does not die in event of thermal trigger however it does some kind of damage to the hardware.

Also i have found lowering power target to 80% and doing a slight overclock provides much better results with performance and thermals.

So what does our community think of this ? I would like to hear various views of our members.

Regards

Salman M.

Also i have found lowering power target to 80% and doing a slight overclock provides much better results with performance and thermals.
Not all chips are created equal, so this might not always be the best idea.

My personal opinion is don't bother with anything, all is taken care of for you by default, if fan is too loud just adjust the fan curve.

In electronics every 10 degree reduction in temperature adds few years to the life of silicon. Overclocking on CPU is okay even running on 100 degrees their life span is generally more than GPUs, but graphics card have different story, they are delicate. Keep them cool.

I use power limits + undervolt on Nvidia card and it works well.
Fan curve i tinkered only to reduce fan stop-start.

Last 10-15% of performance can often take a disproportionate amount of power.
ofc, if needed on a demanding game - i will use full power + undervolt and get some extra perf too.

copying my own post
Also the final 10-15% of performance usually takes much more power. So in my case with 3080 i can reduce my power limit by ~100w ( from 320w to 225w - 70% PL ) + under volt a bit and lose only 10-12% performance vs stock. Or reduce power limit to 85%(272w) + under volt with no performance loss vs stock. Or keep my limit at max ( 320w) + undervolt for about 15% more performance vs 70% power limit. So basically 40-45% more power from 225w to 320w only gives about 15% more performance roughly.

I use power limits + undervolt on Nvidia card and it works well.
Fan curve i tinkered only to reduce fan stop-start.

Last 10-15% of performance can often take a disproportionate amount of power.
ofc, if needed on a demanding game - i will use full power + undervolt and get some extra perf too.

copying my own post
Yes this is what I do, have tried since GTX 760 days and always seems to work well.

Back