CPU/Mobo Opteron 185 Dual Core Socket 939, Is it worth it?

tcpip

Disciple
I am in process of buying a AMD processor (Opteron 185 Dual Core, Socket 939). Its going to cost me about 5500 INR + shipping from US + any duty that may be applied for a used processor.

Please tell me if its worth the damages?

Don't buy it! It's totally not worth it. It's a very old processor, and the cost is too high for what is being offered. Socket 939 is a dying socket, and it will become increasingly hard to buy upgrades for that hardware.

Plus it's a used processor and there will be no guarantees that it will work. I highly recommend you look in the Member's Market here at TE for a used processor that's not only better, but cheaper.

Good luck!

I agree its an old processor, my requirements are not high enough that I would need the latest hardware like a gaming enthusiast. This upgrade would be the best upgrade, I could give to my PC which basically is meant for far less computing.

@HailStone, @karan812: please let me know what would be the apt price for such a USED processor.

@naveen58: I have not found any so far in India, if you do, please let me know

Thanks all

The point is you can fit in a new platform i.e. mobo + dual-core CPU for the same 5.5k.

Unless you can source a Socket 939 dual-core proc for 2k or less, its not really worth it.

Instead you can buy a BRAND NEW CPU AND MOBO.

5.5K for this crap is pointless.

Go for a CPU like Athlon II X2 240 @ 3k and a basic mobo like one based on AMD 740G chipset for 2.5k or better, extend to 3k and buy a 760G chipset mobo.

Just a simple fact: After a while it never makes sense to upgrade certain motherboards. Just chucking them out along with CPU and RAM for a new one is the best possible action.

Thanks for your valuable insight, I haven't upgraded my PC for a long time and never really knew the prices have gone this low. (My current combo -CPU/mobo/Ram was bought for over 17K brand new condition a long time ago, hence the query)

Thanks a lot: Crazy_Eddy and MHG

Totally not worth it. :)

An 'E5300+Gigabyte G31' combo will cost you 5.5K approx and will insult/embarass/molest/... the opty185+whatever mobo you have for roughly half the max power required by the latter. :)

If you OC the E5300 to even 3Ghz (most take it higher with good cooler,psu,mobo), it will murder/keel the latter. :)

If you still want a used X2 4200+, please do check this>

http://www.techenclave.com/members-market/socket-939-chips-x2-single-core-138673.html

BIKeINSTEIN said:
Totally not worth it. :)

An 'E5300+Gigabyte G31' combo will cost you 5.5K approx and will insult/embarass/molest/... the opty185+whatever mobo you have for roughly half the max power required by the latter. :)

If you OC the E5300 to even 3Ghz (most take it higher with good cooler,psu,mobo), it will murder/keel the latter. :)

Better is Athlon II X2 240 + Biostar 760G which will inslult/embarass/molest E5300+Gigabyte G31 :bleh:

Intel can never beat AMD in mainstream and budget segments. :eek:hyeah:

A used X2 4200+ (or cheaper, X2 3600+) is still a good option because they can be had UNDER 2k. Much better than spending 6k.

Back