User Guides Organanize Your Tv Shows (& Movies) Using theRenamer

We all Love our TV Shows and movies,don't we? but often we find that they are unorganized lying here and there in our HDDs because organizing them one by one is too much PITA :p I came across a nifty little freeware which could give your movie and TV show folders,to quote a fellow TEian, a girly level of cleanliness :)

So Ladies and gents (Er..I Meant Neha :bleh: and Gents ) let me present before u - theRenamer

zZGg5.jpg

(Download Link)

Part I - Organizing TV Shows

1.Install (duh!!) and connect to the internet

2.Start theRenamer

3.First Things First - The settings

Code:
We Will be Going For Showname\Season #\ Showname - (season)x(epnumber) - Episodetitle format.e.g. Game of Thrones\Season 1\Game of Thrones - 01x04 - Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things

Click on Global settings at the bottom left corner of the window and make sure everything is same like the following screenshot

U6dqi.jpg

3.Now The TV Show Specific settings - Click on settings on top right corner.change the options to match with the following Screenshot.click close to come back to the original window.

bFHtJ.jpg

4.To Select the database according to which your TV shows will be organized Click the bright green options on the bottom right corner (IMO TVDB is the best)

5.Drag your TV Show files onto the main window.theRenamer searches for the episode titles

ZmyRn.jpg

5.And Finally Displays The Results

DeQWb.jpg

If everything's fine,Click proceed

Code:
Note - in case any file shows the wrong info , uncheck the files for which info had been retrieved wrong or not retrieved at all,Click proceed and try them second Time

6.Thats it!! go Back to ur TV Show archive folder to see them all organized :)

Part II - Organizing Movies

(Step 1 & 2?Really? :p )

3.Click on The Big Hulk-Green TV Show Written at the center of the original window.

It Should Change To Something like the following

SUlCl.jpg

4.Now The Movie Specific settings - Click on settings on top right corner.change the options to match with the following Screenshot.click close to come back to the original window.

Code:
We Will be Going For Movie ((Year) (MPAA Rating) (IMDB Rating)) format,i.e. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998 R 7.6)

RRSAk.jpg

Code:
[B]Fetch Folder[/B] Means the folder from which you will drag and drop the movie files (Maybe your Download Folder?)

[B]Archive Folder[/B] Means The Folder where you Will Finally store The Movie

Selecting the [B]Auto Move[/B] option will move the files after renaming to your Archive folder without asking for confirmation

5.Done !! Now Drag and Drop The movie Files,theRenamer searches for movie info

eLGuq.jpg

6.And Finally Displays The Results

1XLci.jpg

If everything's fine,Click proceed

Code:
Note - in case any file shows the wrong info , uncheck the files for which info had been retrieved wrong or not retrieved at all,Click proceed for other files ,Make Sure The Movie name Spelling etc is okay and try them second Time

7.6.Voila!! go Back to ur Movie archive folder to see them all organized :)

I Will be Glad If this n00b tut could be of any help to my Fellow TEians.

All Hail Dexter!!​

theres one godfather...but its too old not updated...

i liked its functionality...

still use it...

but no automatic online tagging

kestrel5915 said:
I'm not used to MediaMonkey, just tried using it but it kept on searching for I don't know how many hours when I put around 1500 files for auto tag.
Anyway, I'll try this one.
Let us know how it did though i don't ever autotag, always manual tag.

You can never be sure if the others filled the names correctly so prefer to do it myself in my own format. You might want to try manu's suggestion with picard for autotag.

kestrel5915 said:
And what else do you do for organizing and managing your movies and videos, other than renaming and which software is good?
I don't use anything for vids because i dont have many, just audio. The app i suggested earlier won't handle those you would have to use their pay version which is media center.

For 1500 files you can use windows file explorer & your favourite player, dont really need more. Ten times that amount and it gets harder and you need a managing app.
kestrel5915 said:
I'm not talking about a system slow down here and if this MediaMonkey can't even run on i5 then I better use some other lighter software.
Odd it would choke on only 1500 files

Is there any way i can also sync subtitle names to their corresponding episodes using this software ??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Figured out. It does with with subs too. It is the most needed app for me for now. Thanks a ton for this. You saved a lot of efforts for me.

^ But beware its not always correct. For reasons unknown it incorrectly renamed many of my files like Mr. Brooks was changed to 2012! :p

@blr_p: Thanks for the help. I think I must be doing something wrong with MediaMonkey, will spend some time over it and other suggestions.

In terms of low maintenance, cross platform compatibility, managing collections across the network on multiple hard disks etc. nothing beats a sabnzbd+sickbeard+couchpotato set up. Plus it automagically tracks and downloads new episodes and sends you a notification

Is there an application for sorting Music library spread over different folders? My music collection is all messed and I assume there would be lot of dupes in it too, also not all files have metadata or proper song name. I want something which can help me rename all the music files (English, Hindi/Punjabi etc) to their correct title and add missing data in it.

Roxtin said:
Is there an application for sorting Music library spread over different folders? My music collection is all messed and I assume there would be lot of dupes in it too, also not all files have metadata or proper song name. I want something which can help me rename all the music files (English, Hindi/Punjabi etc) to their correct title and add missing data in it.
Well if you use linux then easyTAG may help you through the mess by quite a bit . And to author AWESOME stuff :D thanks for the finding .

In this application while renaming the TV series, is there any way to correct the application to find something alternate as for example when i tried to rename the series House, it listed some other series which had House in its name and not House MD.

Tried this out. The file name needs to start with the series name and should have some indication about the season and episode. If that is there then it finds the data correctly. Honestly I do not care what is the episode named... but then that's just me. And if there is a provision why not use it :bleh:

Great guide but I don't know why people don't use XBMC?!

No need to rename the files, XBMC automatically detects the episode/movie no matter how contorted the name is. The inbuilt subtitle plug-in scrapes the synced subtitles (e.g. if the file you downloaded is by Axx0, then it will find the Axx0 subtitles and show a neat SYNC icon in front to let you know) automatically from your favorites subtitles site (opensubtitles, subscene etc) and there are lots of themes to browse through.

On top on that, there are lots of plug-ins which can be enabled from within XBMC. No need of tweaking the XML files or any other coding required.

1. Tag&Rename for mp3 files (shareware) & MediaMonkey. I find Tag&Rename more powerful for everything other than specifying front cover of the album.
2. BRU - BulkRenameUtility (free) - for all files. I use it to remove all unnecessary additions in the mp3 files. It is good for any bulk modification of file names.
3. Locate32 - this is a different kind of search tool. Uses a database, that needs to be "updated" (it does the same whenever you use it). Very useful even if the ext. hdd is disconnected - will show up in the query as located on "removed/disconnected drive"

Sei said:
Great guide but I don't know why people don't use XBMC?!

No need to rename the files, XBMC automatically detects the episode/movie no matter how contorted the name is. The inbuilt subtitle plug-in scrapes the synced subtitles (e.g. if the file you downloaded is by Axx0, then it will find the Axx0 subtitles and show a neat SYNC icon in front to let you know) automatically from your favorites subtitles site (opensubtitles, subscene etc) and there are lots of themes to browse through.

On top on that, there are lots of plug-ins which can be enabled from within XBMC. No need of tweaking the XML files or any other coding required.

Thank u thank u...thank you so much buddy i have been using movineizer from a long time i got it free from giveawayoftheday

finally i found and alternative in theform of XBMC it is also efficiently tagging my regional language ofcourse a bit of understanding is required

to use various functions but its worth it<i have given the begginers guide link at the bottom>

Beautiful themes , recognizing regional movies, automatically finding subtitles,also have features to use hardware acceleration from external graphic cards,also supports wasapi ,

Also tracking entire movie details like resolution bitrate,format etc... Also a really Good and done in a awesome way i think its the best media center avaliable

Thanks once again Sei for intro-ing this..loving it just completed Organizing my latest HD Collection

Guy i wish everyone gives atleast one try for this fabulous software

http://www.4shared.com/document/-tXnqCN6/XBMC_Beginners_Guide_05.html

One more thing:

XBMC Is basically Designed to work with XBOX 360 after all its called

"X-Box media center"

So Most of the themes are Custom designed to work with XBOX-360

via XBOX controller So, i tried xpadder +XBOX controller on pc

and its working great.

just now Imagine controlling all your Movies,TV shows,Music

Remotely from ur Beanbag or Recliner

if Someone needs my profile for xpadder PM me so that i can provide you. Mine is working Very Efficiently at the moment

On more thing available for efficiently renaming the TV shows. Download this -> RS TV Show Tracker

Thanks to boogeyman for digging this out.

I used it yesterday and it works really well and worked better where renamer failed. Also in had this case where the file name as something like below and still it was able to 'understand' the exact TV series name

Ca1if0r1ca1i0n.1x01.XXX.XXX.XXX

The above too was decrypted by the software.

Hi all,

I'm the developer of RS TV Show Tracker. You can ask your questions here or if you've used the software, tell me how can I improve it more. :)

The reason the software has a much higher detection rate than other softwares, is because the detection engine is much more sophisticated, and when it fails, it'll contact a huge database at lab.rolisoft.net, TVRage, TVDB then Google to recognize the file. That's why the software hangs on some file names much longer than on others.

kestrel5915 said:
^ My Norton detected a threat after I downloaded from that link.

Why would you be using Norton, I don't understand, but I'm pretty sure it detected a "Win32 HackTool" (or something by similar name) which was the bundled handle.exe. It's not a malware, it's a command line utility developed by Microsoft for power users and system administrators. You can download the binary from Microsoft's server.

If it didn't detect handle.exe (which it shouldn't, unless Microsoft develops malware...) then please tell me which file was a "threat"?

VirusTotal report
Jotti's malware scan report

If you're still having doubts, get the source code from GitHub, inspect the code for yourself then compile it and use that.

RoliSoft said:
Why would you be using Norton, I don't understand, but I'm pretty sure it detected a "Win32 HackTool" (or something by similar name) which was the bundled handle.exe. It's not a malware, it's a command line utility developed by Microsoft for power users and system administrators. You can download the binary from Microsoft's server.

If it didn't detect handle.exe (which it shouldn't, unless Microsoft develops malware...) then please tell me which file was a "threat"?

VirusTotal report

Jotti's malware scan report

If you're still having doubts, get the source code from GitHub, inspect the code for yourself then compile it and use that.

Well why shouldn't I use Norton?

I've been using it for a long time and it has really served me well.

Anyway, the threat that it detected seems to be a false positive as it based the finding on a reputation based system depending on number of users which is very less for now.

And the software also seems to work well till now :)

This RS TV Show Tracker looks nice. TheRenamer failed on Californication and quite a few other TV shows. Will give it a shot once I'm back home.

Back