Paint remover/strippers for wall

mod-the-pc

Disciple
My house needs to be repainted and we plan to switch over from the existing Asian paints Apcolite enamel. How can the existing layers of paint be removed. I remember having read in school that Methylene Chloride can be used to remove paints. Are there any such compounds for domestic use ? The painter wants to charge weeks worth labour just to strip down the paint.
Any help or practial experience will be really helpful!

Rent a bunch of guys and sand it off. Generally they do it this way I suppose. Have never seen an instance of a chemical being used here.

Check this out - How to Remove Paint from Concrete

Paint Stripper & Mastic Remover for Concrete and Bricks

You can check out any paint shops for paint strippers etc.

This is for stripping the paint off of wood - Safe Alternative to Paint Strippers | Care2 Healthy & Green Living (but it has a home brew-able formula!)

A lil' info - PF Online Feature Article: Alternative Processes to Methylene Chloride

must read - Paint Removal, Wet Sand Blasting, Pressure washer | Precidose Pumps & Systems

hope this helps!

btw me too was looking for similar info!

@Desecrator, that's what the painter suggested and of the quote he gave 1/3 of the cost was just to strip down the paint!

@sohail99, Thanks for the links. I'll check with a couple of hardware stores and will let you know if I'm successful.

@RS4, I did read the asian paints webstie earlier and saw the mention of paint stripper. But looks like they don't manufacture it.

An update, I used 2 brands of commercial paint remover "KP LAC" by Gillanders Arbuthnot & Co. Ltd. and another product called "Paint-X". The paint did peel off but I feel that it is costly. It cost around Rs. 700 for 70 sq.ft. The painter suggested using caustic soda solution instead. After a few minutes of applying caustic soda the paint started dripping down the wall leaving behind a bare wall. It is the cheapest option (Rs. 60 / Kg which would last for 200 sq.ft atleast). The next time anyone needs to remove paint remember get some caustic soda, dissolve in water, apply the solution, wait for a few minutes and remove dripping paint using a putty knife. Also read in the net it can strip paint off wood. Might come in handy when you want to strip down a painted door and varnish it !!

NOTE: Wear proper eye & hand protection

Back