Budget 21-30k PC upgrade

amigoatul

Adept
May 30, 2006
Hello people. I have been off of pc gaming for a while, but want to upgrade my old PC so that i can play games like Witcher 3, MGS, Project Cars, GTA 5 and all the other major titles at high settings.

I installed Witcher 3, Dirt Rally, Mortal Kombat X and a couple of others. They seem to be running ok on medium settings but im looking for high quality hence the upgrade query.
Farcry 4 wont even load on my config...:)

My current heavily outdated config is as follows,

Proc - Core 2 Duo E6600
Mobo - MSI P965 NeoF
RAM - 4GB Corsair 800 DDR2
Video Card - MSI 750Ti GTX Twin Frozr 2GB
HDDs - 2TB+1TB+1TB
Optical Drive - Sony DVD writer
PSU - Corsair VX450
Sound Card - Creative Xtreme Music (Not getting detected anymore :-( )
Speakers - Altec Lansing MX 5021
Monitor - Samsung 940BW 19inch 1440X900 max res
Mouse - Logitech MX518
Keyboard - Logitech standard KB
Mousepad - QCK+ MYM edition ( Needs to be replaced)
Cabinet - Zebronics Antibiotic
Headphones - Audio Technica M50x and Sennheiser HD598 SE and Sennheiser HD485 ( Will be selling it shortly)
Consoles - PS3 and X360.

I know i will need a new Proccy, Mobo, RAM. So planning to get these 3 for now. Will get a bigger monitor and a better video card/sound card and a PSU a few months later as i would like to game at a higher res.

I see that in almost all the recommendations, its only Intel based combos. So is AMD not suitable for gaming anymore considering they are much cheaper than Intel?

Also, considered getting a PS4 but feel upgrading the PC would be a better thing to do for me now. Will get the PS4 later this year.

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Nov 30, 2011
Pandora
Getting an AMD or Intel system depends on your budget. For entry-level gaming AMD does the job just fine and for higher 1080p gaming Intel is the one to go for.
You should get a fast quadcore. The components given above will do. However if you have a tight budget you can also get a fast Intel dual core/4 threads. Nowadays the Skylake i3 6100 is recommended for entry-level gaming.
Rough numbers, it will give around 30-40fps at 1080p while the AMD FX6300 will be even lesser in many games.