Budget 15-20K Phone for calling, WhatsApp and YouTube

mayank0623

Disciple

Budget -

What is your budget? Mention Locality/Currency & Price Range.

15-20k (Avoid including offers while calculating price)

New or Used? Online or in-store?

New. Online/in-store.

Brand -

Do you have any brand preference or dislikes? Please name them.

No specific preference

Usage -

What is your intended use?

Casual - Calls, Whatsapp, Youtube, Web Browsing

What is your expected battery backup?

A day minimum. Two days would be ideal

How long are you intending to use this phone?

3 years at least

Connectivity -

What is your preferred network?

5G

What is the number of connections required?

Dual Sim

Platform :

Operating System (OS) -​

Do you have any OS preference?

Android

RAM & Storage -

How much RAM and Storage do you want?

8/128 or better

Do you want a memory card slot?

yes. hybrid slot works fine.

Miscellaneous :

Any other requirements?

headphone jack would be nice

If you have already considered a phone, then please mention.

1) Motorola g84 5G (12/256 GB) - 17,999
2) Samsung Galaxy M34 5G (8/128 GB) - 17,999
3) Redmi Note 13 5G (8/256 GB) - 19,999
4) POCO X6 5G (8/256 GB) - 20,999
5) Lava Agni 2 5G (8/256 GB) - 19,999
6) Samsung Galaxy A14 5G (8/128 GB) - 17,999

If any requirement takes a higher priority than other, mention here.

Battery Life > Smooth Operation > Easy Troubleshooting > Screen size/type/resolution/refresh rate > Storage > Camera

Found the above phones looking through previous recent advice posts in the same price bracket, if any others fit better kindly lmk

Last edited:
I would say go for Poco X6 as it has Amoled display with good screen size which is good for browsing and watching videos on it. Since camera is your last priority, Poco has everything (smooth, 5.1k battery, FHD, storage and 3.5mm jack) you need except good camera.

I would say go for Poco X6 as it has Amoled display with good screen size which is good for browsing and watching videos on it. Since camera is your last priority, Poco has everything (smooth, 5.1k battery, FHD, storage and 3.5mm jack) you need except good camera.
Sounds pretty good. Any reports of it overheating or having too much bloatware? And does anyone know if it seems difficult or bulky to hold?

Lava Agni 2 has a coupon of 2500 so it's effectively 17.5k right now. Pros are no bloat, good hardware for the price. Cons are weight, software is unrefined in some places and lacks 'features'. Overall I can recommend the phone for someone who isn't too particular about little things in the ROM.

Have a look at Samsung Galaxy A15 5G.
Is the A14 offering better specs compared to the poco x6?
Lava Agni 2 has a coupon of 2500 so it's effectively 17.5k right now. Pros are no bloat, good hardware for the price. Cons are weight, software is unrefined in some places and lacks 'features'. Overall I can recommend the phone for someone who isn't too particular about little things in the ROM.
Between the X6 and the Agni 2, which one would offer better viewing experience, smoother performance and longer battery life?

Between the X6 and the Agni 2, which one would offer better viewing experience, smoother performance and longer battery life?
Poco X6 wins or ties in almost all specs, if you don't mind bloat then it's the one to get. But for the usage you mentioned in your original post, there will be zero difference in most of these phones to be honest.

Nah, Poco X6 has far better hardware. But to explain, for eg, your work requires 100 power, the Samsung provides 140 while Poco X6 provides 200. So most likely you wont feel the difference in your usage.

Hardware wise, you'll always get inferior hardware for the same price in Samsung / Motorola, etc. Doesn't mean your experience will be poorer.

I've been using the m34 for a year and a half and while it's still fine for daily tasks, it does seem to be lagging often enough that my muscle memory has had to change significantly to adapt, and my main usage is still watching videos and using a web browser or WhatsApp, maximum 2 tasks at the same time. Is the A14 a newer model?
Nah, Poco X6 has far better hardware. But to explain, for eg, your work requires 100 power, the Samsung provides 140 while Poco X6 provides 200. So most likely you wont feel the difference in your usage.

Hardware wise, you'll always get inferior hardware for the same price in Samsung / Motorola, etc. Doesn't mean your experience will be poorer.

For Samsung, check Samsung F15 - a no nonsense phone under 15k (6GB RAM model). It will get 4 OS upgrades as well. This is an easy pick over M34 because of Mediatek chip, lack of OIS in camera is a bummer but not everyone is looking for a great camera. Check review for A15 5G at GSMArena. Based on your needs, this should be enough.

For good hardware, Poco X6 looks good but Snapdragon 7s Gen 2 is made on Samsung Foundry's 4nm fabrication process. The relatively low battery score proves this as well.

All recently launched Xiaomi/redmi/poco devices doesn't even have a proximity sensor. They uses some kind of motion sensing which doesn't even work half of the time and for which my brother hated me for making him buying Xiaomi device two times.

They might be powerful, kind enough to let us turn off their system wide ad pushing service, give uncontrollable bloatwares, any many more you want (or not), but why to skimp on a basic sensor that includes a call( first ever purpose to buy a phone).

I am not against them and favouring any other brands. You can even buy Micromax/ Lava if you have to. But this is the truth and it is out there for so many years.

If you don't like my words, pretend i wasn't here.

All recently launched Xiaomi/redmi/poco devices doesn't even have a proximity sensor. They uses some kind of motion sensing which doesn't even work half of the time and for which my brother hated me for making him buying Xiaomi device two times.

They might be powerful, kind enough to let us turn off their system wide ad pushing service, give uncontrollable bloatwares, any many more you want (or not), but why to skimp on a basic sensor that includes a call( first ever purpose to buy a phone).

I am not against them and favouring any other brands. You can even buy Micromax/ Lava if you have to. But this is the truth and it is out there for so many years.

If you don't like my words, pretend i wasn't here.
Samsung is using a virtual proximity sensor stuff as well, I think it uses the camera for detection.

It's going to be used by an older gentleman who'll be using it on speaker most of the time anyway, I assume both the Samsung and the Agni 2 have loud enough speakers for old people to hear easily while watching videos on YouTube or talking to someone?

It's going to be used by an older gentleman who'll be using it on speaker most of the time anyway, I assume both the Samsung and the Agni 2 have loud enough speakers for old people to hear easily while watching videos on YouTube or talking to someone?
I don't think either have stereo speakers, but single speakers will still be sufficient. I've personally noticed the difference in sound immersion in stereo over single, so I would recommend a phone which does have stereo (Poco X6 should have).

Also, if you're going with the Samsung F15, do be prepared to factory reset it after 2-3 years of usage. Ive done this with 3 Samsung phones in the same price range, and all of them felt much faster and snappier after a reset. F15' SoCs will not be able to handle Samsung's resource heavy UI well, especially after it receives even more updates. I'd go with the Poco X6 tbh, software updates don't matter at all for most of the common users, other than smartphone enthusiasts.

Samsung is using a virtual proximity sensor stuff as well, I think it uses the camera for detection.
Many cheap phones with full screen displays seem to do this, even the ambient light sensor is removed in many of them and the front camera is used as a makeshift light sensor. Had this issue in Samsung M21 where second highest battery drain was coming from "cameraLightSensor". Had to use that phone without auto brightness for a few years.

I don't think either have stereo speakers, but single speakers will still be sufficient. I've personally noticed the difference in sound immersion in stereo over single, so I would recommend a phone which does have stereo (Poco X6 should have).

Also, if you're going with the Samsung F15, do be prepared to factory reset it after 2-3 years of usage. Ive done this with 3 Samsung phones in the same price range, and all of them felt much faster and snappier after a reset. F15' SoCs will not be able to handle Samsung's resource heavy UI well, especially after it receives even more updates. I'd go with the Poco X6 tbh, software updates don't matter at all for most of the common users, other than smartphone enthusiasts.
Might reset my own phone and check if that helps, thanks

Back