Laptops Plan to buy a Sony Vaio. Need reviews/suggestions.

voidzero

Disciple
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to buy the Sony Vaio VGN-FW46GJ/B

VGN-FW46GJ : VAIO FW : VAIO Notebook & Computer : Sony Middle East & Africa

Here's the specs briefly...

• Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80 GHz)

• 4 GB RAM

• 400 GB HDD

• Blu-ray Disc Combo Drive

• Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit

• ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4650 Graphics (1GB)

• up to 2 hours of use

• 16.4” wide (Full HD: 1920 x 1080)

I thought it's amazing bang for the buck, since it's coming to AED 7000 in Dubai. ie. Rs. 92,000 appx.

I'm getting it from Dubai since an equivalent config isn't available here in India and apparently the Vaio's for a 1 year international warranty.

So yeah i'm looking for a 2nd opinion? I haven't seen the VAIO featured on the forums a lot, so I thought i'd start a thread.

Cheers!

PS: This is the best Vaio FW model on offer from Sony India

VGN-FW45GJ : VAIO FW : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

@setuniket

You really think so? I thought it was good value for money. I mean an equivalent DELL Studio XPS 16 comes to slightly more, and it's got a 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670. Ofcourse it's got the sweet LED display! The only reason I decided against it is i've read in reviews it get's really HOT!

yes u would need a cooling pad for continuous use.. the proc and graphics card combination will produce too much heat during gaming etc. both T9600 and HD 4650 are famous for heating (at the same time popular for high performance too!) normal use will be ok..

Almost any laptop with a gfx card will get hot..Keep it an inch or 2 above surface and you'l see most laptops being at normal temp..Dont take this as the criteria for judging the laptops, at this price make sure you laptop look sexy too..

And in laptops its always better to get the vfm config and spend the moola on looks, this is my opinion of course...

Thanks for the replies guys, see that's what I need to understand. I'm sure of the looks et all. What I want to understand is, is this config VFM? I certainly thought so, just want a second opinion.

If not can you guys give me the best configured laptop @ 1 lac. I want an all rounder. Work, gaming, movies etc.

voidzero said:
Thanks for the replies guys, see that's what I need to understand. I'm sure of the looks et all. What I want to understand is, is this config VFM? I certainly thought so, just want a second opinion.

If not can you guys give me the best configured laptop @ 1 lac. I want an all rounder. Work, gaming, movies etc.

Frankly a 1lac laptop wil only be marginally better than a 70k laptop, theres nothing VFM when you reach that sort of budget..

Back