Plane jane laptop for movies!

khaleelda1

Disciple
Hey guys,

• What's your Budget? - Lower the better :D , i guess for my requirements i can safely stay below 18-20K?
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? MOVIES!! specially those big a*s +4gig bluray files...they get pixelated on my current lappy, hence the very reason to go for a new one. Also i have no idea about lcd-led-glare-gloss-hidef whatever should be good for watching movies, please suggest. And yes, screen size 15.6, if i can get bigger in my budget (no way!) then why not :D
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? not very enthusiastic about wipro and toshiba and like.
  • Any other considerations? - If i can get one WITHOUT the dvd/cd drive! seriously all that it does is sit there adding to weight and go kaput in a few years, i,ve got win7 usb install, and all other softwares on external harddisk, so i really dont like to have that cd/dvd drive.

So far models considered:
Samsung RV Series RV513-A02IN @ 20k
Acer Aspire 5733Z @ 17.8 k (homeshop18 discount coupon) not sure if it will be valid till i finalise :(

@khaleelda1 The Samsung model you mentioned has E450 CPU which is enough for HD playback, but lacks a punch for other powerful tasks. But since your only purpose is movies, so it will suffice. But still I'd suggest you to go for at least Intel Pentium dual core, precisely this model-> Samsung NP300E5Z-A0N.
And the 2nd model has 1st gen CPU, just don't opt for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
ohkay...but would like to double confirm if i really need to go to 22-25K range just for watching movies..

Also any luck for me with NO-diskdrive criteria??

^Well, I seriously don't know if brazo will be handle mighty blu-rips. That's why to be on safe side, I advised you to skip it. And I have never come across an 15"6 or even 14" laptop without ODD. Its absent in only either some 13"3 notebooks or netbooks.

Full on Core i3 second generation comparo

Ok, so what i have here is the cheapest available from all brands,
the asus looks like a clear winner @24.8K, except for :
- it has 2330M as compared to 2350M in all others
- clocks 2.2ghz as compared to 2.3ghz in all others

...will this do?

laptop camparo .jpg

Have you checked Anandtech's review of E350? It easily handled BlueRay and still cpu usage was around 30%.

I read it long ago, and I myself have bought a E450 laptop today :). But just to be on safe side, as some people had complained about a bit lag.

Back