Plannin to get a Bravia

rrcsraghu

Disciple
Was seein around in sony world and found these two quite gud...jus wanted to know which one'll be better..

a "KLV 32V300A" or a "KLVS310A"..

both are 32 inchers.....and bth have HDMI x 2....first one costs 54k and the second one costs 50k

its not about the cost....5 grand isnt gonna make a diff as long as i'm gonna pay for somethin gud...the guy there said the v one has a digital input...for the cable but the s one dusnt.....but we dont have digital cable in india yet..do we??

Check with superczar, he bought a 32" in S series. He bought it in grey market for around 38k. You can PM him for details

I couldnt even make out the difference between 32V300 and 32S310 to be honest. I saw both side by side and i was confused as hell as why 32V300 is marked V series. On paper its suppose to have better ccfl. but in reality go and take a demo and tell me if you are able to make a difference. I wasn't..

yeah....i saw them both side-by-side in a sony world...unless u have a d-input cable connection...its not of much diff....wen it comes to tech specs....or is there any other 32" u guys suggest.....not jus sony....i saw the LG one.....dad dint like it.....any other suggestions?

if money's not an issue check out the D series from sony..its a 10bit panel...last i heard was around 60k+ ...not sure about the rate....

showrooms may not be the ideal place to judge a TV. bright lights, and the tv's themselves with colours and brightness/contrast maxed out. Do they have a demo room ?

Some do, but I was visiting stores with my lappie and HDMI cable and I insisted i wouldnt buy unless i check my own videos :p

Also most big malls and shops have TATA or DISH feed + some HD content or Scale up DVD players with them for the demo to the customers.

I took all my demos in SonyMony, Hypercity and eZone before buying from gray market :p

the one i was interested in had a PS3 connected to it.......
and and few lcds had TaTa Sky connected to it....that was lookin really bad....its wasnt runnin on its native resolution and everythin was stretched n stuff.....

@indrajeet....which model is it...in the D-series....?.....One of my friend said he can get me the s-series one for 35k...and the V-one for 41 k......

As said you need to be really particular about model nos.

Just dont go and ask for S series and buy it. There are 2 S models floating around. Specially in gray market there are plenty of old 32S200 floating around and selling for around 34-35k.

This is really not the one you want to buy. Its a year older than 32S310 which is considerably better in terms of visual quality.

Secondly anything over 32 inch LCD and you really dont want a 720P native model. On 37incher the dot pitch is large and it looks ugly at 1366x768.

As I said before, if you are going for bigger TV or spending 60k+, then get plasma instead. Panasonic 42 inch plasma is now really affordable.

Oh my Gawd... Am so confused. even am plannin on getting a
LCD or Plasma
but am considerable Low on budget.

I want a good TV for playing PS2 and watching TV thru TATA sky
Max budget : 40K
No Issues buying it from gray market if too much diff in Price. Suggest something good guys. I have n previous knowledge of Plasmas.Thanks..

Funky said:
I took all my demos in SonyMony, Hypercity and eZone before buying from gray market :p

What if you have a problem in the future that's covered by warranty ?

How long is the warranty anyway ?

bottomline : what are you giving up by going with the grey market other than price ?

I have got KLV 32V300A a month back and its superrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!.....

I use it as a 32" monitor for my laptop...watching movies n surfing internet is a whole kinda new n exciting experience for me.

blr_p said:

bottomline : what are you giving up by going with the grey market other than price ?

Just testing warranty. All one gives up when purchasing from gray is 1 year warranty from Sony. Which is far too less for my liking. If it was 3 years + i would have purchased from retail.
Also you have to pay stupid service charge anyway for warranty from SOny India. Which is 1000 bucks for 32 inch LCD TV.
I know where I can get it repaired if something goes wrong.
Saving 12k was a no brainer decision for me.

It's fairly simple actually

If you have a dependable seller who you know won't sell you seconds/refurbs, it's usually a no-brainer

Say a device worth 50K with B&W is available for 35 K in gray

Scenario A: - You buy from gray thereby instantly saving 33%

Scenario B: You buy with B&W to hedge against risk of possible failure in the next 1 year...now the probability of thisfailure occurring for electronic devices with no moving parts is fairly low (barring exceptions like xbox 360), say 5%

If it fails, you would have to pay for repairs where the bill would come to say 20K (unlikely it will be this high but let's take a conservative POV)

so to cover a 5% risk of saving 20K, you lose out on a 100% chance of saving 15K at the onset

Funky said:
Just testing warranty. All one gives up when purchasing from gray is 1 year warranty from Sony. Which is far too less for my liking. If it was 3 years + i would have purchased from retail.
Also you have to pay stupid service charge anyway for warranty from SOny India. Which is 1000 bucks for 32 inch LCD TV.
I know where I can get it repaired if something goes wrong.
Saving 12k was a no brainer decision for me.

Agreed, a 1yr warranty is really useless, especially given the initial purchase price. Most likely due to the dealer network (or after sales service) Sony has in the country over other vendors. No one i know in the west really buys Sony as often as here cos they are many other just as good options. Hopefully this may change in the future in India, but it will take time to set up those networks for other manufacturers.

You also mention thats its just a testing warranty, what does that mean ?

If something goes wrong within the 1st yr, isn't it reasonable to get it repaired for free. Provided of course, you pay the service tax on the warranty offered.

superczar said:
If it fails, you would have to pay for repairs where the bill would come to say 20K (unlikely it will be this high but let's take a conservative POV)
so to cover a 5% risk of saving 20K, you lose out on a 100% chance of saving 15K at the onset

hehe, true provided that..the vendor you have is...

superczar said:
... a dependable seller who you know won't sell you seconds/refurbs,

That's really the biggest caveat..in this sceanrio cos spotting a second hand or refurbished model is a very tricky affair. Trust *really* is everything here.

Maybe you have helped many others to purchase the same so have a better idea of who is or isn't dependable in your area. For the avg person, who's buying on best price, that's in the market every 5-10 yrs or so for a new telly, this might be quite difficult to achieve.

superczar said:
Scenario B: You buy with B&W to hedge against risk of possible failure in the next 1 year...now the probability of thisfailure occurring for electronic devices with no moving parts is fairly low (barring exceptions like xbox 360), say 5%

Sure but consider that for the bulk of electronic products, if its going to fail, then its really going to happen within a yr or less, faulty components etc. or in the extreme case a product recalls, does not happen very often and is a much lower risk.

Would you agree then that the highest probability of failure would occur within the first yr ?

Therefore a warranty covering this period would help to offset it and is why its offered.

So...does this mean then, for the avg person.. that the risk of going grey market outweighs the advantages suggested ?

I am in no way talking about extended warrnaties here which stores in the west offer to extend what a vendor provides, those are usually a waste of money. Very good money maker for the stores and i expect the practise will start here if it hasn't already.

Back