Graphic Cards Please help with my Leadtek 9600GT - 65nm or 55nm process ?

alienalone

Disciple
HI friends .... today I purchased a Leadtek PX9600GT from Computer Infinite Nehru Place (Delhi) . On the box it was written that it is 40% power efficient & has new 55nm gpu . also it does not require a six pin power connector.

But when i came bck to my home , I installed drivers & then ran GPU-Z 0.3.4 . it is showing that Technology is 65nm :huh: . also I found GPU temp = 62*C at idle :( (both thru Speedfan & HWMonitor)

Man today I spent 5K on this gfx card + 250 rs for the journey through bus . my parents will kill me if I tell them that I need to go again Nehru place for card replacement. :(

pls pls help me frnds ... I'm in real bad situation!!! :( :(

well nvidia did change the die of 9600 from 65nm to 55 nm and that too without changing the name.(like they added and extra '+' at the end of the 9800 GTX)

seems like you have got the 65 nm one in a 55nm box.

the main difference between the two versions is the extra overclocking headroom and less power consumption in the 55nm one.( i am not sure about the price difference between the two.)

but still it will be better if you get the card replaced.

thnx bro for da reply ... but going again NP, Delhi is almost impossible for me now! :( .... btw i installed Rivatuner & increase da fan speed to 70% ... da ideal temp has now come down to 56*C ... but da fan noise is quite audible :(

9600GT even though used to be low power n dissipate less heat comparable to its older predecessor like 8800GT. Hence i would say 62 on idle is pretty high(expecting default fan speed is 40%)

With new advancement i.e 65nm to 55nm should reduce its power consumption n heat dissipation.

Getting a 55nm is highly recommended in ur case.

I would suggest that u better check the card first because sometimes GPU-Z dos not show all the information accurate enough to judge the card,it might be wrong information. more over as u said the card doesnt came with the extra power connect slot , then it is surely a new version of card i.e 55nm. and yes do check what is the core clock and memory clock , it might be less then the older version cards.
And if u have to clear any doubts u better go through the leadtek site and search for the model u got and if possible try to query the support of the site.

I would suggest that you take the card back to the store you purchased it from asap.

Idle temps seem to be too high. On my reference 65nm Zotac, temps hardly cross 50-52 at idle even in summers

^ If am i not wrong, doesn't temps depend on the case ventilation as well, he might be having bad cooling for the system that is why i told him do first check ur card in all possible ways before returning it back.

The sooner he gets it replaced the better it is - the dealer may try and avoid doing RMA on ground that the card is used a lot, etc. even if its just a week's delay.

Replace the same card - tell your parents that you're getting a better card from the manufacturer which is worth 2K more (bluff) as you've been selected in some lucky draw. You'd have to personally go to collect the card ;)

@simulation3
I've downloaded da latest ver of GPU-Z & it is showing 65nm :( ... and yes da card speed is less ... Core == 600MHz , Memory == 900MHz
I also searched Leadtek site ... but nowhere is given dat dis card is having 55nm design! :(

Abt my system temp ... these are da readings shown by Speedfan:

GPU == 55*C
Temp1 == 48*C
Temp2 == 42*C
Temp3 == -128*C (dont know why it is -ve value)
HD0 == 40*C
Core == 29*C (dis is cpu core)
Core == 55*C (dis is gpu core)

Config: Athlon 5400+ X2 (2.8GHz) .. Asus M3A78-EM (780G chipset) .. 2GB Kingston .. 250GB Seagate .. DVD-RW .. Zeb 500W Platinum (22A on +12V)

dis zebby psu has a 120mm exhaust fan .. besides dis I've installed one 80mm exhasut on da rear & two 80mm intake fan on da side.

here is da link of da card ... can any1 pls comment on its heatsink :

Leadtek - We make dreams a reality

Idle temps surely depends on the case ventilation. My Zotac used to be reaching 52-54 in peak summer afternoons, so if u don't have proper ventilation in ur cabby, its not big deal that the temps are ~60. :cool2:

And as someone said, if the card doesn't have a power connector, then its surely the new breed of cards.
Just play games and see if everything's running fine...If all's well, then give a damn to the temps and be happy gaming...:D
And ya no need to increase the fan speed to 70% levels. I think if the default is 40%, it should be just fine.
Better leave the fan speed untouched unless ur card reaches like 75+ on idle. :p

yaar I dont want my ideal temp to stay at 55*C ... atleast it should be 45*C so dat when I play games in summer then temp shoul reach only upto 60*C

BTW .. can da dealer take bck dat card & gimme sum other smilar card like Palit 9600GT or HD 4670 ??

Also these are da voltage readings speedfan is showing at ideal conditions:

Vcore1 == 1.14V
Vcore2 == 0.00V
+3.3V == 3.28V
+5V == 4.95V
+12V == 12.54V

so does 12.54V on +12V rail high ??

You have brought 9600GT Green Edition which is based on 55nm.. so, low power consumption than 65nm ones..

I'd suggest you to download latest version of GPU-Z, in your case, it seems you are using old version..

Regarding high Temps, as simulation3 said, Cabinet Ventillation might be the culprit..:)

Just check if the card has a 6-pin pci-e power connector.

Also post some pics so that we could compare it with the pics from the original website.

How much money did u pay for this?
If you paid 5k, then this card could be good competition for the ATI 4670(considering its low power,no pci-e power conn and its faster than the ATI)

@muzux2
I'm using latest version of GPU-Z ... & their is no where written on da box dat it is Green Edition ... only a logo of Power Efficient is their.

ashish21099
My card exactly matches wid da one shown on leadtek website .. both in terms of size & heatsink ... & their is no power connector of any kind on da card.

Actually I've decided to buy HD 4670 512MB GDDR3 ... but now it is available wid 1GB DDR3 (not GDDR3)

GDDR3 == 1000MHz
DDR3 == 873MHz

When I went to Computer Infinite .. he showed me dis power effecient 9600gt .. he asked for 5K for it .. so I purchased it thinking dat it does not requr extra power & 256bit bus as compared to 128bit in HD 4670.

I called them 3 times today & also mailed them entire prob ... they are saying dat our technician will chk a similar card 2morrow ... if it comes out to be 65nm then we will replace da card wid sumone else ... but for dat I've to again go to delhi (means again spend money + face da hot humid weather!) :(

@comp@ddict
yaar I dont mind if performance is little low ... only thing I want is dat card should run at a safe temp level.

(BTW .. i was playing Crysis demo & getting 25fps in at 1280*1024 wid all settings High in XP ... dont have full crysis right now).

Back