OC & Modding Poject "Mute-ation"

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
Due to some constraints I am forced to keep my PC right next my bed. I mostly work late nights and this disturbs the two year old. This is an attempt at minimizing PC noise as much as possible.

I have started taking a few steps and further help will be appreciated. The budget is about 2-3K (I hope its enough if not I can revise provided the results are worth it)

Current Config: First config in the Sig.
The current config sits inside a CM Ceturian 590 with a VX450. It has 2 antec 120mm fans, one at front attached to the 3in4 HDD cage and one at the rear.

Additions for silence
SSD: Intel X25-M G2 80GB
HDD Enclosure: DealExtreme: $16.13 Professional Hot-Swap 3.5" SATA Hard Disk Drive Rack Mount Drawer x2
(This is to remove 3 out the 4 HDDs currently housed in the case!
Fan vibration dampeners DealExtreme: $1.61 12CM Silicone Reduced Vibration Ring for Desktop PC - Black

Will need something for the lone spinner and ODD in the case. Since KMD is AWOL could not find anyone selling PAX Mat, subber grommets or other similar stuff.

I am currently on a stock HSF for both GPU (Call a 4670 a gpu? :p) and the CPU

Please advice.

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
archish said:
A lappy will be dead silent if your budget permits :p
Its there in the sig, already have a Asus N61JV-X2 (i5 430m, 4gb, GT325M 1GB). I am a dotnet junkie and need quite some space and muscle to work with, hence the u2410 and desktop in lieu of the laptop. I wont touch the laptop for dev work unless I am out of options or out on a trip. :(

archish

Skilled
Apr 12, 2005
how about using the laptop with your existing external monitor and k/b, mouse. I hope the lappy proccy will not be too slow for your programming needs.

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
@Archish: Thanks for the suggestion, but it'll be messy! And then what do I do with my current desktop ? Plus its not just "work" all the while ;) sometimes its "play" as well, which can't be done on the laptop. Anyways, usinjg the laptop is out of question as of now so lets leave it aside and focus on the desktop.
PS: Just noticed your sig, quite a few laptops there, no wonder about your suggestions now! (Just kidding no offence meant :))

@Udit: darn! my bad with the typo! :ashamed:
Thank you for the heads up, how much does iccworld charge?

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
Thanks Udit, will be ordering Alasks PaxMate (16$) and Rubber washers for the fans and HDDs. Anythig else I should be looking at?

Udit

Skilled
Nov 7, 2005
Kolkata, India
sarang said:
Thanks Udit, will be ordering Alasks PaxMate (16$) and Rubber washers for the fans and HDDs. Anythig else I should be looking at?
na your set for a quiet rig

you could have just got a Antec P183

sato1986

Skilled
Sep 4, 2008
Chandigarh
Components which usually make noise in a computer (in decreasing order):

1. GPU: Get a passive heatsink (Accelero or similar which will be compatible in your next GPU purchase too) ~ Rs. 1700

2. PSU: You already have a VX450 silent PSU, so no worries

3. CPU: Get a CM Hyper 212 plus (Very compatible, and lets you OC the processor for more muscle when needed / speedstep ) ~ Rs. 1850

4. Keyboard (when working on a computer): Get a soft-touch keyboard

5. HDD: Get a enclosure and some sound damping mats as already suggested

6. Fans: Fan controller

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
sato1986 said:
Components which usually make noise in a computer (in decreasing order):

1. GPU: Get a passive heatsink (Accelero or similar which will be compatible in your next GPU purchase too) ~ Rs. 1700
2. PSU: You already have a VX450 silent PSU, so no worries
3. CPU: Get a CM Hyper 212 plus (Very compatible, and lets you OC the processor for more muscle when needed / speedstep ) ~ Rs. 1850
4. Keyboard (when working on a computer): Get a soft-touch keyboard
5. HDD: Get a enclosure and some sound damping mats as already suggested
6. Fans: Fan controller
Thanks sato, The GPU is already pretty silent. And yes, will be upgrading to a better GPU soon. Its a real misfit among the other mid-end stuff.
No more into OCing. Ther day I'd feel the 750 is not enough I'd sell it and go next gen mid-end. Somehow after the CM590 and 2 other cases I'd rather not go CM ever again.
Keyboard, thats the first thing I changed got a new MS multimedia KB the keys are depressed and ae pretty silent (I type a lot while coding/emails/docs).
@rd274
Fan controller is alredy there with the antecs. Both the front and rear fans have a 3 step fan controller.

xanan

Disciple
Dec 12, 2010
You don't really need HDD enclosures to damp out the noise- just mount the HDDs using an elastic band attached to their mounting screws. No vibration plus passive ventilation benifits, and much better than spending $15 on racks.

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
@xanan: The enclosures are there to get rid of those HDDs. The disks have movies/pics which I don't need round the clock. The enclosures will provide me an easy access to the content without having to house the spinners in the case :).

Thanks for the elastic band trick, will give it a shot with the lone spinning disk in the case now!