Poll on Nokia N8

jaganm said:
I think Nokia has taken a short sighted approach and crippled it in a number of ways

1. Processor : A 680 MHz processor is definitely not good enough for a flagship phone in 2010. Atleast, if it was based on the A8 architecture (like what was used in the N900), it would have been acceptable.

2. RAM: 256 MB of RAM? Come on, that is what the budget phones have now. They should have gone for 512 MB atleast

3. Screen: the world is moving to WVGA and retina display, why stick to nHD resolution?

The fact is that these specs will not affect you right now. But in a year's time, the phone will be totally out of date. Nokia themselves will stop issuing updates to the firmware as they switch their focus to Symbian^4 and Meego. So, why should a discerning user go for this phone?
1 & 2. The CPU+dedicated GPU combination works better than most competing phone's 1GHz CPU (few exceptions like Desire HD, SGS). The lag that I noticed is more due to old OS than hardware. You should really see how well it's hardware does when you do multimedia operations like using coverflow, opening and editing videos, forwarding videos etc. It's just damn fast.

3. nHD? 360 x 640 is the standard resolution for 3.5" displays and N8 uses AMOLED. The display is just gorgeous and matches the competition. Watchin one 720p video on it and you will understand. And btw, retina shit is just a marketing gimmick and it does not do that much better when compared to AMOLED, especially when playing games or watching videos. The clarity and color richness and contrasts on AMOLED displays is lot lot better than that on retina shit.

There is only one thing that cripples N8 and that is S^3. Everything else is just awesome. I would love to use Maemo on this phone instead of S^3.

PS: I am not terming N8 as the best phone out there but there are some areas for which you need to give due credit to Nokia.

360 x 640 is the standard resolution for 3.5" displays and N8 uses AMOLED

Says who ? The Samsung Wave has a 3.3" display with a 800*480 resolution and a Super AMOLED screen , so if a cheaper phone can have that why not the n8 ?

phone is good but 25k looks expensive, it would have been an hit had it been priced around 16-18k, cuz nokia is loosing market share very fast so it has to be competetive

@khanvis : There are apps for it , but tbh , Android is Google's OS and that is why you can pull your Gmail contacts. Similarly Nokia has Ovi Contacts.

Nokia N8 DOES support the SyncML protocol with which you can set it up to sync with Google's servers and get your contacts.

jaganm said:
1. Processor : A 680 MHz processor is definitely not good enough for a flagship phone in 2010. Atleast, if it was based on the A8 architecture (like what was used in the N900), it would have been acceptable.
2. RAM: 256 MB of RAM? Come on, that is what the budget phones have now. They should have gone for 512 MB atleast
3. Screen: the world is moving to WVGA and retina display, why stick to nHD resolution?

:lol: Don't even feel like counter arguing.

The first phone with an HDMI output (albeit 720p) and a 12mp cam sensor? Count me as a curious onlooker. :p

How about USB OTG , Fastest GPU in a phone , Penta Band 3G , Wifi N and Bluetooth 3.0 , ability to connect with bluetooth mouse + kb :D

Geez... i sound like i'm trying to sell the phone here :p

Oh and 16GB of memory , memory card slot , media player which supports mkv as well ^.^

Desecrator said:
Just curious but why cant the device output 1080p through the HDMI? Can't the GPU/CPU handle it?

It could in theory playback 1080p movies with bitrates lowered down. Like those 4GB PS3 compatible 1080p movies. Will give it a try once i get it. 720p at about 10mbps was the bitrate i tested and it worked flawlessly.

1080p movies would be too huge anyways to store in a phone...

The interface is output in 720p as well.

@hellgate : Dude... i loved my N900. One of the best phones i'v ever used. I'll have the N8 soon... but the only thing stopping me from actually buying one for myself is the upcoming MeeGo phone. I am super excited for it after using Maemo.

@dhruvrock2000 - Stay with N900 its OS is much better...no use buying N8...

I have no hopes on N8...I think its pretty much a waste...

I am done with nokia after having horrible experience with N97 mini

No dude... i have used the N8 fairly extensively , it is far from crap. This is the problem that Nokia is going to face. It looks the same but is vastly superior. Bug free and fast.

Anyways , my N900 is gonna , it was a long term review unit :)

Give the N8 a shot... you won't be disappointed.

Desecrator said:
The first phone with an HDMI output (albeit 720p) and a 12mp cam sensor? Count me as a curious onlooker. :p
Err, what ?
The Droid X has HDMI. Heck even Acer's android phone has HDMI output.

delguy19 said:
No i guess it will cost around 25k or so but still expensive
Well, its pre-order price in the UK is 429 pounds so i dont think it'll cost 25k. But if it does, then it might be decent.

nokia has always saved on CPU since symbian does not require much processing power . also it has long exploited indian consumers by keeping the prices of handset like n73,etc constant for long time

sid1712 said:
Err, what ?

The Droid X has HDMI. Heck even Acer's android phone has HDMI output.
Just in case you missed it, there was a question mark (?) after the query indicating I was asking not stating. Duh! :\

Back