CPU/Mobo Possible? Phenom 9650 on nForce 570 Ultra mobo

idclev888

the power is yours
Disciple
Hi,
I know I could check it myself, but trying to find out if anyone has already done this.

I want to transplant a newer processor, onto an older motherboard. Would that work? Please tell me any details you know, since googling did not give CONFIRMED first-hand info.

Existing two configs:
AMD Athlon X2 5200+ on MSI K9N Ultra 2F (nForce 570 Ultra chipset)
AMD Phenom X4 9650 on Asus M3N78-EM (nForce 630a SouthBridge, GF8300 NorthBridge)

Proposed re-config:
The 5200 proc with the 8300 mobo which will work, of course.
QUESTION: AMD Phenom X4 9650 on MSI K9N Ultra 2F

Now, that phenom proc and MSI mobo are both AM2+ compatible. But the mobo is fairly old and neither its product homepage nor BIOS updates say anything about quad-core support. Some google results seem to indicate that very few NF570-Ultra mobos got BIOS updates to support quads, despite being able to handle 95W TDP.

I saw no first-hand info about whether the above MSI mobo can run the Phenom 9650, whether in "undetected" mode or at a lower HT speed. Has anyone here paired a Phenom quad, with an NF570-U or lower, and has it worked? What do you think, will it work okay?

The 9650 is a Phenom I processor, so it should work.
I've got an nforce 570 ultra mobo (Asus M2N-E) too, and it supports Phenom II processors with a bios update.
While I'm not using a Phenom processor, there are a few people here who've paired an Athlon II X4 with an older 570 ultra mobo, with good results.
Since you've already got the processor and mobo handy, why not just try it out, and post your results here.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

btw..people began using quadcores with my board before there was any official bios support.

Back