Power Meter like Kill-A-Watt (with Watt/Volt/Ampere/VA), 220V suitable for India

Status
Not open for further replies.

idclev888

the power is yours
Disciple
Hey,
I was looking for a Power Meter to measure the electrical properties of any device plugged into it. Something like Kill-A-Watt (with Watt/Volt/Ampere/VA/PowerFactor/Hertz) but with support for 220V operation, suitable for India. If the socket plugs are not round as seen in India power sockets, i can solve that with adapter plugs, that is okay as long as the meter isn't meant for 110V operation (the Kill-A-Watt or KAW is for the US and so operates on 110V).

My purpose for buying this device is to check upon aspects of power usage, both for that particular moment and (preferably) also for an averaged out number over a period of time. For example, PC might take 180W this moment at idle, and 600W a minute later at full blast, but averaged out over the course of two days the Wattage might only be 200W.

My usage could include loads upto 10 Amps and 2 kiloWatts, and is primarily for computer and UPS. I won't use it for stuff like water heater obviously, but might use it with domestic electrical devices once in a while. The voltage in my area does not exactly run the gamut of 165-250V, but it would be nice to have a meter that does not blow out at the first instance of demanding conditions (either from the supply side or from load side).

Just to describe, the power meter plugs into a 3-pin wall power socket. And then the load (or device/laptop/PC/UPS) plugs into a 3-pin power socket upon the power meter itself. The power meter has a small LCD display to show info and measurements, and buttons to switch between the info displayed. Essentially, think of it as a multi-meter with far more convenience.

The KAW also does an extrapolation of electricity units consumed, and what you set as per-unit cost, to show you how much a particular device is contributing towards your power bill. That is not needed for me. Chinese models (including from some company named Meco) are there and Belkin power-strips (with 4 sockets instead of just one) seem to be there but I'm yet to see ACTUAL availability in India of any of these, no matter how appealing or unpalatable they seem in looks+features. A lot of brick-n-mortar shops give quotes, ranging from 1.2k to 2k for a good power meter and round-pin adapter, but none have been able to execute an order so far.

If price is right, I am looking at buying three units of power meters. Surely more people on TechEnclave are interested, no idea if we can make this a Group Order together. Hoping someone on here can source a power meter for me, or give pointers/contact-info of how I could buy it in Bangalore.

Just for info:
Kill-a-Watt product page and reviews online - one and two. Sample image of a KAW P4460 below:
main_p4460.jpg

Zino said:
there are international version too.

And how about this. Is the true one or fake.
http://shopping.indiatimes.20north.com/product/?mid=1&pid=B00009MDBU&src=search
This would be perfect actually, it is THE kaw itself, in flesh and blood! But it is 110V as far as i know. According to their own page:
Important Note: If this product is rated 220V or dual-voltage it can be used in India, as is. If it is rated 110V you will need to purchase a 110-220v Voltage Adapter. You can buy this on 20north (Search on "voltage adaptors" in the Electronics department) or from any electrical store in India.
Is there any page/source that can confirm the existence of an international 220/250V version? If so, that'd be sweet.

Seems to be a UK listing, bit less attractive and has no "memory" function unlike the KAW. But it can do the job, just concerned about price and shipping.

This one can do the job too, actually this is the one I saw in possession of a friend which started the craze for me. The pins of the socket in/out can be dealt with too. But being an Australia listing, no idea how i could get my hands on it. Considering I want 3 such units myself and more ppl on the forum might want to join in... Wonder if a service like 20north exists for AUS, or if some TE member resides there, to send it onwards to India!

Just received it. will post some images. It worked out very expensive for me for two. 2550 each. just double.

Its made in china i guess, but build quality is good.

Does the job well, but had to make a contraption for indian plugs.

i dunno if some will buy it or not at the price. But will keep it anyway. as it took lot of effort to come. and had some issue at airport, it had to be put in a special security check packaging. with some weird declaration.

Turns out that i got a device EXACTLY like the two items linked in quoted-posts below, at Rs 1.5k.

But the box that has instructions is printed in chinese characters, the display shows numbers that either can't be true (or those numbers are for something i can't understand). Buttons are marked in english, display is in english numbers, but i can't make sense of how to use it.

If somebody buys the "indian version" which does seem to have english instructions, pls scan and post them for me.

HailStonE said:

varkey said:

Currently having to continue my search, as the above powermeter is neither usable nor can do as much as the KAW is capable of.

Purchased one Power Check from Germany and it is on the way, will not have to look at other options if it does the job, but it does seem to be large and not brimming with features.

Zino said:
i have ordered two of these from an Aussie friend. He will probably be here in Dec last or Jan.

Mains Power Consumption Electricity Meter Monitor (eBay item 220668771882 end time 12-Nov-10 18:47:30 AEDST) : Electronics
AUD 30 is just Rs. 1340 - so price is not an issue, but it doubled for him to 2550 so i'm concerned. The plug contraption that Zino had to do is also a factor, but not all that much.

QUESTION to Zino: Build quality apart, and the basic job of showing Watts consumed, does it show the rest of the details KAW does to a reasonable extent? If so, i might order 2-3 units myself or buy one off you if you like at a price comfortable to you.

But that Energenie seems to offer less details.

Wish there was ONE decently priced india-compatible model like the KAW. :(

^ I got the Energenie Power Meter today.

It displays the Volts, Amp, Watts, Kwh, Power Factor. Has an inbuilt clock too. Can display the cost too, if the price is set. :)

In Action :)

The first one is my Seagate Dockstar with a 2.5" Hard Disk connected and 2nd one is my Wireless Router. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back