PS3 Jailbreak - Discussion Thread

i just got a ps3 slim 160 gb and was reading online about jailbreaking and saw that it would void the warranty during a YLOD..

i have a 12 months warranty (bought it from letsbuy.com) so i'm wondering whether or not i should Jailbreak it right now..

Please advise..

No it won't void your warranty. In the event that your console fails and you need to claim warranty AND have jailbroken/CFW'd your console, then all you need to do is erase your HDD contents which contain the softwares you have installed while on JB.

EDIT: Was trying to connect my portable HDD to transfer a game to the internal HDD (PS3) and not sure what was wrong this time, MM would just freeze up the console on loading the NTFS driver. I tried copying the USB config file back again, it detected the HDD once, when I tried copying the game, it said 'Veryifying souce content' and just dropped the HDD connection and showed the entire HDD to be blank. I was taken aback for a moment and plugged out the portable drive and connected it to my PC. Thankfully, the files were intact. I have heard data being rendered useless for some people's external HDD. I guess FTP is more secure and easier. I'll stick to that for now. :)

Ethan_Hunt said:
EDIT: Was trying to connect my portable HDD to transfer a game to the internal HDD (PS3) and not sure what was wrong this time, MM would just freeze up the console on loading the NTFS driver. I tried copying the USB config file back again, it detected the HDD once, when I tried copying the game, it said 'Veryifying souce content' and just dropped the HDD connection and showed the entire HDD to be blank. I was taken aback for a moment and plugged out the portable drive and connected it to my PC. Thankfully, the files were intact. I have heard data being rendered useless for some people's external HDD. I guess FTP is more secure and easier. I'll stick to that for now. :)
That's why i always FTP.

USB is unreliable and i know a friend who bricked a PS3. Good that his ps3 was in warranty and ge RMA'ed it.

Hey , I have ps3 under warranty.. the problem is that it got upgraded to 3.56. ( damage done by a friend ). Is there any way I can get a replacement from Sony...I know its wrong... But look what Sony did with geohot.......

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Aman27deep said:
That's why i always FTP.

USB is unreliable and i know a friend who bricked a PS3. Good that his ps3 was in warranty and ge RMA'ed it.

I have always used FTP right from the beginning. I had high hopes that this NTFS driver would be more stable, but I guess it's best to stick to the FTP route for now.

kingdomraj said:
Hey , I have ps3 under warranty.. the problem is that it got upgraded to 3.56. ( damage done by a friend ). Is there any way I can get a replacement from Sony...I know its wrong... But look what Sony did with geohot.......

Why would you get a replacement in the first place? The console is working fine, right? I'm pretty sure they would first check if there is indeed a problem with the console or not. If there isn't then on what grounds would they provide you the replacement?

kingdomraj said:

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Lol. No, there's no legit way you can claim a replacement. Plus even if you get a replacement, it'll be 3.60 or 3.61

Any idea how much space a fresh installation on a PS3 takes. I upgraded my HDD to 750GB and I got the system status as 640 (free)/690(total) GB space.

No games nothing as of now on PS3. Just flashed original firmware then kmeaw.

I recently JBed my PS3, I am not able to update Multiman, I tied downloading from net and into a Thumb drive, It gave an error...

Tried updating from the PS3 itself, It downloaded for just 1 second and then asked my to launch from XMB, I launched from XMB and the PS3 got hanged, Although worked fine after restarting...

What should I do ?

Also I have a query, Can we update the game dumps directly from the PS3 ? I mean the autoupdate option in games...Will it harm in any way ?

pranut said:
I recently JBed my PS3, I am not able to update Multiman, I tied downloading from net and into a Thumb drive, It gave an error...

Tried updating from the PS3 itself, It downloaded for just 1 second and then asked my to launch from XMB, I launched from XMB and the PS3 got hanged, Although worked fine after restarting...

What should I do ?

What error did you get while installing the application? Which PKG did you download? Just the base version (30MB) OR the one with covers (120MB)?

pranut said:
Also I have a query, Can we update the game dumps directly from the PS3 ? I mean the autoupdate option in games...Will it harm in any way ?

For auto-updates, you'll need to have PSN access, which would require the latest firmware and you can't go online using the CFW at the moment. Some games can be manually updated with retail patches which are released. However, Sony is now releasing newer updates which are built with 3.60SDK and if you update those games, you'll loose the ability to play them on your 3.55 CFW (assuming you're on it).

Ethan_Hunt said:
What error did you get while installing the application? Which PKG did you download? Just the base version (30MB) OR the one with covers (120MB)?

For auto-updates, you'll need to have PSN access, which would require the latest firmware and you can't go online using the CFW at the moment. Some games can be manually updated with retail patches which are released. However, Sony is now releasing newer updates which are built with 3.60SDK and if you update those games, you'll loose the ability to play them on your 3.55 CFW (assuming you're on it).

Thanks a lot for the reply! :)

It displayed some code, and said the .pkg cannot be installed, I downloaded the BASE one...

Re-download the PKG file and try again from a different link. It might have been a corrupt download. If it still gives you the error, make a note of it.

Ethan_Hunt said:
Re-download the PKG file and try again from a different link. It might have been a corrupt download. If it still gives you the error, make a note of it.
But I wasnt even able to update using Multiman itself, it downloaded a file in 1 sec and asked me to launch it using XMB, but still didnt install..

Back