Hello,
I was looking to upgrade my system
my current specs are
AMD X4 630 2.8ghz
gigabyte 785GM-US2H
integrated graphics
gskill ddr2-1000 ram 4gb
boot drive-WD 3200 AAKS

now,i have been running a friend's radeon 5770 for a few days,and its a welcome change from my igp.i see that the radeon 5770 is available for around rs 6250 online and am tempted to buy it.how ever,i see that the next iteration of gpu's from AMD is coming out in september,i wanted to know if it is really worth upgrading to the 5770 now.
or,do i wait a few more months,and get a more powerful and costlier gpu from the 7000 series?
also,i traded in my corsair vx450 for more hard drives,so,currently,am running on a generic psu.so,for any upgrade,ill have to get a better psu.i thought of getting another vx450 now,but its not in stock.
so i thought of these
corsair vx550-rs 4625+shipping
Seasonic S12 II 520-rs 3525+shipping(assumed to be arriving this month,price unknown)
Seasonic S12 II 620-rs 5000+shipping(----------------"---------------------)
the Seasonic S12 II 520 looks good to me,from price point of view.
in a month or two,i will be getting(not buying)a SB 2600K (no idea how far it can go),Asus p67 mobo,and rams,and if i were to get a gpu later,something like the radeon 6950 equivalent of the 7000series gpus'.
so,i want the psu to be able to run all these+3 hard drives+case fans,and on a mild OC on the cpu and gpu.
so,will the S12 II 520 be able to handle the load?or do i need the 620?or the vx 550?I am looking to save some money here,considering the nearly 1200-1400rs price difference between the 520 and the 550/620.I know there is nothing like future proof,but,as i will be using the psu for as long as it runs,i would like it to be able to power a decent mid level system,when i upgrade again in say 2013/2014.

Re: psu&gpu dilemma

wait for 7 series,and about PSU corsair vx550 will be OK.Don't risk your Data with that generic PSU,cuz it will damage your HDDs.

That was a foolish thing to do, trade a psu like VX450 for hard drives and settle for a generic psu. Why on earth someone will do such a thing? You were out of your mind at that time, I am pretty sure.

About getting new gpu and psu:

PSU - Go for VX 550 as VX450 is not available. Its an awsome unit and you wont regret at all. It will
provide all the headrooms for you for future upgrades as well. Even the Seasonic 520 watt will
handle your system with no problem, so if you have a budget constraint, go for it.

GPU - If budget is not a constraint and you can wait for a while, my suggestion is to get 6950 2 GB
version or an equivalent new 7000 series gpu after a couple of months. HD5770 is already an old
gen card so if you can afford, get a new gen card only.

My vote will go to the VX550 or the Seasonic S12 II 620. Considering that you'd want to overclock and maybe become a little more excited and try to SLi or Crossfire, these PSU's should suffice for you. Going cheaper and opting for a 520 or other generic PSU will again bring you back to this same thread again after you upgrade, albeit quoting different model numbers.
About the GPU, the 5770 is pretty dated. It has good power specs but if you really want to amp up your resolution and play, then it will falter. You can obviously wait and go for the 7 series. As an option, you can wait for the 7 series release and then checkout the market place. People who want to upgrade to the 7 series will probably let go of their high end 5 series and 6 series cards. A 5870 is still a heavyweight when it comes to playing games and can be considered futureproof for the next year or so. If you can get that for a bargain price, you can eat the cake and keep it too! :)

when i say generic,it literally isnt some cheap 400 buck psu.took it from a lenovo pc,it dosent have any stats,except for a 350W stamped into the psu case.a little digging showed its a Enhance make.SO,i assume its generic,though OEMs dont mess with their pc's.
reason why im leaning towards the 520 is because im kinda cash strapped in the midst of getting a new monitor,a case and a new UPS.the vx550 seems like a no brainer when the s12 II 620 is available for 300rs more.

VX550 < XFX 650W, price diff = 0.4K... Now which is a no brainer?

If u CF in future, u need a 650W unit...

I wont crossfire.i dont need that much power,it goes out of my budget.I understand the good gpu with a cheap psu logic,but dont want to go overkill.one of my office computers has a tx750.i had purchased it because i needed to run a bank of a dozen hdds+intel quad core 9550+7900gt gpu.now,i got rid of those hdds and now have just 3 high capacity ones.

besides,reason im wary of xfx is i had a lot of fun trying to get a old xfx motherboard rma'ed and dont want to go through it again.reviews of the xfx 650 are very favourable,and,if the rma process has changed,i can wait some more and get it,thoguh itll mean i have to change my current case,which means waiting even longer.

^^ Rashi Peripherals so you be warned -- RMA is going to be a headache. I don't think Intel Sandy-Bridge OR Athlon IIx4 have such power guzzling requirements that you'll need an 8 -pin EPS 12V connector.

Back