PC Peripherals Query on DDR3 Memory

Hi Guys,

I'd like to know if I'll be able to run 8GB of DDR3 system memory at 1600Mhz

Final Requirement: 8GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz

Current configuration:

Corsair VS2GB1333D4 (2GB X 2) (To be replaced with the kit below, for 1600Mhz)

Corsair CMX4G3M2A1600C9 (2GB X 2)

1409rv9.png

34zangx.png

Other details:

AMD Phenom II 955BE (C3) ; Gigabyte GA-880GB-USB3 (FB)

My concerns:

1. From the screenshots, I see that the XMS3 modules will do 1600Mhz at 1.65v, while the mobo supports 1.5v?

2. While the mobo fully supports 1600Mhz modules, I've read mixed feedback on the CPU maxing out at 1333Mhz?

Do share your thoughts and experiences on this.

TIA!

This is really difficult to comment on. Only someone who tried this with success or failure would hold a good comment for you...!

Though which links showed you that the board would have issue with the higher vDRAM and > 1333Mhz..?

Only someone who tried this with success or failure would hold a good comment for you...!

Well yeah, I'm looking to confirm that points 1 & 2 are possible.

which links showed you that the board would have issue with the higher vDRAM and > 1333Mhz..?

The mobo manual and the website show supported mem. voltage as 1.5V, so I'm not sure if it's safe to go higher.

Also, it's a know fact that the Phenom II 955 supports a max of 1333Mhz, although I have the BE with the C3 revision?

Bro which software did u use to take these specifications?

that should be "AIDA64 Extreme Edition" formerly known as Lavalys's Everest Edition

^ Yep.

Any Phenom 955 or BE users, who can confirm DDR3 1600Mhz (C9) support? Any theories in this regard?

Ultimately, it's a matter of investing in the second pair of XMS3s (as above) or settle for the current config.

TIA.

bottle said:
I m currently using a pair of GSkill Ripjaws which are rated to perform at 1.5v with no hiccups. I havent oc'd the cpu, but am running the ram using a higher divider. Does that help ?
baatli, where did you source those Ripjaws X from? I am planning to get a 2x4GB kit. I think Prime has it since they have listed the Ripjaws X but not these modules. Will have to give them a ring and find out.

bottle said:
I m currently using a pair of GSkill Ripjaws which are rated to perform at 1.5v with no hiccups. I havent oc'd the cpu, but am running the ram using a higher divider. Does that help ?
Edit:

Yes, it helps address both concerns.

If the Phenom II X2 550 supports 1600Mhz modules, then the 955BE sure as hell would. Right? :p

Also, the other thread that was referred to here, stated:

I just raised the multiplier to x6.6 and set the RAM timings to 9-9-9-24T (you can further tighten it to 8-9-8-24T) and I was good to go.

but am running the ram using a higher divider

^ What's with the multiplier and divider? :s Do I have to change this in the BIOS, for the memory modules to run at 1600Mhz (9-9-9-24T) ?

Yea default was 6.6 , I increased it to 8

200Mhz * 6.6 gave me 1333Mhz
200Mhz * 8 gave 1600Mhz

Divider is the old way of referring to it I guess :p If you look at cpu-z screenie , it shows the multiplier as a 1:4 divider (same thing)

Ok, I remember seeing an option in the BIOS to change the Memory clock settings, with values such as 6.6, 8 and so on...

So I put in the sticks, boot up, head to this section (BIOS), change it to 8, save the settings and I'm good to go? :)

^^

You would need to change the timing for that speed (CAS, RAS etc) as per SPD. Change the divider and Mx and change vDRAM for those speeds.

Commit the BIOS and exit.

asingh said:
^^

You would need to change the timing for that speed (CAS, RAS etc) as per SPD. Change the divider and Mx and change vDRAM for those speeds.

Commit the BIOS and exit.
Thanks, could you perhaps take a look at some BIOS screenshots from here (similar to mine) and specify the exact settings that need to be changed?

TIA.

^^

Guess it would be like this....with reference from top to bottom of screenshots, respectively.

2. Memory Clock Mx : So you get the memory speed.

2. DRAM Configutation : Press Enter and should take you to a screen where you can set the CAS/RAS etc as per the SPD for EPP).

2. DRAM Voltage Contrl : Again set as per SPD for EPP.

That should be about it..!

asingh said:
2. DRAM Configutation : Press Enter and should take you to a screen where you can set the CAS/RAS etc as per the SPD for EPP).

2. DRAM Voltage Contrl : Again set as per SPD for EPP.

2vjr9r8.png

^ Are you referring to the highlighted details?

My motherboard's memory slots only support 1.5V

thetoxicmind said:
Ok, I remember seeing an option in the BIOS to change the Memory clock settings, with values such as 6.6, 8 and so on...

So I put in the sticks, boot up, head to this section (BIOS), change it to 8, save the settings and I'm good to go? :)

Yea, I guess the bios should be similar to mine, setting the multiplier alone to 8 (memory clock) is enough but it runs the memory at a more relaxed timing than what it is specced for. The giga bios had the spd values to the right of the settings under DRAM config so you just had to look at that and enter the same values

edit:same as the values in the screenshot. voltage can be left to auto, works fine

Back