Laptops Recommend a Netbook for Basic Use

aman.pitbull

Skilled
I'm going to buy a Netbook for surfing internet, C++ and working on MSoffice. I'd be playing few flash games too. Screen Size should be >= 10''. My budget Max. Rs.25000/- which should include :

Netbook +
External DvDWriter +
Netbook Sleeve +
Screen Scratch Guard ;) +
Lap Cooler [Belkin, Coolermaster etc. anything that fits on a netbook]
Thanks.

Heh, all netbooks are meant for basic use (different matter that you can get a lot done with them).

Netbooks don't get too hot, so you can count that cooler out. The 1000HE is available for about 23.5K these days.

Most netbooks include a sleeve and cleaning cloth (I got one with my 1000HE). The sleeve isn't too thick so if you're looking to protect it from falls, better get a small bag for it instead.

I know that Gateway is way better in terms of build quality than any other brand (Sony VIO and MacBook PRO as exceptions) but the best thing about gateway was always the after sales service. Does anyone have any idea how Gateway is going to go about it ?

AK3D said:
Heh, all netbooks are meant for basic use (different matter that you can get a lot done with them).

Netbooks don't get too hot, so you can count that cooler out. The 1000HE is available for about 23.5K these days.
Most netbooks include a sleeve and cleaning cloth (I got one with my 1000HE). The sleeve isn't too thick so if you're looking to protect it from falls, better get a small bag for it instead.

Well I've seen a lot of netbooks(friends) that either burning off the processor or the board :rofl: (small size ~ lesser space for airflow). So just to keep safe I really need a NoteBook Cooler.
Sleeve is basically to protect it from scratches. I have a backpack to carry.

As for an External DvD Writer Buffallo External DvD Writer Comes ~ Rs.3000 is there any other cheaper option.

^^Gateway offers AMD mobile processor which runs above 1ghz and suppose to have lot more power than ATOM. They are possibly aiming for Yukon platform but have not mentioned it :p

Anyway I would say get Gateway, but if you want to test Linux based OS [Moblin] you better off with Intel Atom based netbook..

I am using NC10 which is pretty decent :)

the NC10 is generally regarded as the best one around. you could also look at the aspire one.. cheap and pretty decent (i'm using it now).

@aman.pitbull

I see you are from Navi Mumbai. Let me know your comments and details on the Gateway after you have checked it out. Thanks.

Also is Gateway officially in India ?

Edit: Just checked out Gateways site, they have an 'India' page. cool......

^^^

Any ideas on pricing on the gateway machines? The config looks about the same as the other netbooks around except for the 11.6" screen

Guys, I am working as an SME for gateway / acer / emachine range of laptops.

Gateway is launched in india by acer. But gateway is one of the 2nd leading laptop company in US, till it was bankrupt in last 2006 midway. But now acer have taken over gateway. You will get the greatest technical support ever. Saying so because, I have also worked for dell.

Have a look at this netbook from gateway : Gateway India Official Site: Products - Notebooks - LT3004l

If you are looking for price, stick to MSI wind u120 which is available at 17500/- in my area.

Gateway Lappy's are available at Croma Juhu and Malad only. It'll be available at Croma Belapur after a week or so. No word on the pricing.

A customer help guy told me that Gateway will be giving customization options like Dell.

Gateway's netbook is available for Rs.28000/- and after employee discount it's for Rs.26K. The netbook has Atom Z520 (1.33GHz, 512KB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB); Chipset - Mobile Intel® US15W Express; a 310K pixel integrated webcam ; 11.6" HD WXGA Ultrabright™ TFT LCD; rest all is approx. same.

I think its overpriced a bit.

Back