Storage Solutions Recommend A New HDD

Hi,

My old HDD conked out.
Without going into details, I just wanna mention that I want to buy a new one.

My budget ~ 2.5k

Kindly recommend some HDDs of 80/160Gb capacity with Model numbers and the good points if possible.
I shall be heading to Lammy tomorrow morning.

Any help will be appreciated!!
Thanks.
XT

Edit: Forgot to mention that I need a SATA HDD.

My Hitachi 80 GB (K star) start creating crack sound just within 24 hrs of installing.

Go with samsung, till today in our Group we buy 5 samsung and all is quite till today from last 3-6 yrs.

Recommended >

Hitachi Deskstar - HDS721616PLA380

SATA 2 160GB 3GBPS HDD- silent, reliable, fast as uses single one-sided 160GB platter:thumb:

IIRC, i heard EAZY got 4 of these just some time back.;)

Also Funky got this for his HTPC- cool and quiet.:)

edit:

Stick said:
My Hitachi 80 GB (K star) start creating crack sound just within 24 hrs of installing.

Go with samsung, till today in our Group we buy 5 samsung and all is quite till today from last 3-6 yrs.

DUDE, you serious!!:O :O :O

Seagate 160GB 7200.10 SATA II, model would be something like ST316081AS 2250-2300; these are the perpendicular recording hdd's so expect great performance with them

yep Hitachi a.s.s is by dealer only

and Seagate 7200.10 160 is a single platter model too....so all those advantages are there

XT, either of Seagate/Hitachi (models mentioned above) is a good choice. Check which co. offers better service/support n which is cheaper.

Stick said:
eh? Firstly which is that Hitachi 'K Star' series? I've been using a Hitachi Deskstar (more famously known as Deathstar) 80GB IDE drive for the last 5 years and its still going strong.

First and foremost, thanks to all of you who took time off to post your suggestions in this thread. They were very helpful.

I have purchased the
Hitachi Deskstar - HDS721616PLA380
for Rs. 2250/- from Prime @ Lammy.
With special thanks to Bikey and Eazy for their help and valuable suggestions.
EDIT: A story on the death of my old hdd is soon to follow in the next 2-3 days whenever I find enough time to write the whole thing down:bleh:.
Its gonna be big and is gonna be interesting:p

Back