Reliance Jio Rollout

Also be on the lookout for fakes. My trusted shop guy was telling that there is a lot of fake material in the name of Dlink out there. And this is true for many other things as well including branded electrical wires.

So now we have fake branded ethernet cables...great! I'll use my old cables for now.

Last edited:
Guys got my Jio fiber connection. How do you "reliably" check your internet speed? Do you use a different server in the server option?
5GHz wifi speed lol

Screenshot_20210809-145657~2.png
2.4GHz wifi speed ahahaha
Screenshot_20210809-150006~2.png

Last edited:
Guys got my Jio fiber connection. How do you "reliably" check your internet speed? Do you use a different server in the server option?
5GHz wifi speed lol

View attachment 111189
2.4GHz wifi speed ahahaha
View attachment 111190
If possible do check speed with the lan port. Also at what distance you are checking it bcos jio routers have very bad wifi range. I'm using my old Dlink 2750u as extender. This is the speed I'm getting on 30mbps plan on 5ghz band-
Screenshot_2021-08-09-15-52-08-1070793380.png

The thing with Indian ISPs is that their speed is calculated on the basis of a nearby server. If I change the speedtest server to US ones then my speed drops off a cliff as well.

You can also try www.fast.com which is hosted by Netflix and it checks the speeds against Mumbai CDN servers.

You can also try www.fast.com which is hosted by Netflix and it checks the speeds against Mumbai CDN servers.
Wouldn't that also drop his speeds?
I think for most of eastern India including North East, the nearest server is Kolkata. Somebody using Jio from eastern part please confirm.
Some friends at IBF using Airtel from UP, Bihar, Jharkhand were using Kolkata as nearest server, hence poor latency and speeds. While it was in the pipeline to get nearest server, I am assuming that should also be the case with Jio.

I think for most of eastern India including North East, the nearest server is Kolkata. Somebody using Jio from eastern part please confirm.
Some friends at IBF using Airtel from UP, Bihar, Jharkhand were using Kolkata as nearest server, hence poor latency and speeds. While it was in the pipeline to get nearest server, I am assuming that should also be the case with Jio.
The speed within the country should not vary massively. If that's the case then the ISP needs to be followed up with.

The thing with offshore servers is that submarine cable bandwidth comes into play. ISPs don't always reserve sufficient submarine cable bandwidth which is in line with the claimed speed of the subscribers.

I think Airtel and Jio are the best in this regard. Small ISPs (.e.g. Siti in my case) lag on this front by quite a bit. Client VPNs hosted in Chicago/New Jersey are pretty slow compared to the 200 Mbps I get within the country.

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if Jio router has a different antenna for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz? 5Ghz is not getting detected in the ground floor. Only 2.4Ghz works. Speed is about 5-10mbps on 2.4Ghz. I know that 5Ghz has a shorter range but still...this kinda shocked me. Anyway I'm trying to set up an extender.

If possible do check speed with the lan port. Also at what distance you are checking it bcos jio routers have very bad wifi range. I'm using my old Dlink 2750u as extender. This is the speed I'm getting on 30mbps plan on 5ghz band-
The LAN speed is good as per speedtest,
Jio fiber LAN speedtest Untitled.png

Yes I confirm the server is in Kolkata.

The thing with Indian ISPs is that their speed is calculated on the basis of a nearby server. If I change the speedtest server to US ones then my speed drops off a cliff as well.

I'm getting 140-160! 160 when the advertised speed is 150! :hilarious:

@iPwnz didn't they carry out any test before officially handed over the connection to you?
As mentioned by TinTin, give us more details.. plan speed, speeds on lan versus wifi etc.
Plan is the first "Free" one, 150mbps. I'm using it for the first time.
The speeds were checked near the room outside.
The service guys were in a hurry and I only ran speedtest on LAN.
I just hope that its not a permanent thing. I'm using LAN most of the time with my so I don't really mind.
I will do some runs again later.

5Ghz is not getting detected in the ground floor
What is the distance between the router and the ground floor? 5ghz is very pathetic when it comes to coverage.I barely get 1 bar in my main room which is 300 m2 away from the router separated by 3 walls.

If the distance is less, get a new router like Archer C6/A6 if you want basic ones or Mercusys MR 50G, for range in excess of 1500 sq. m. and set it up as an AP.
Speed is about 5-10mbps on 2.4Ghz.
Which device did you check on? What is the link speed? Also, what is the channel frequency set to under router admin page? You need to set it to 40Mhz to get speeds in excess of 90mbps. I get 90mbps on 2.4 ghz with channel frequency set to 40mhz on my mobile with link speeds 150mbps. On my old mobile, I get only ~40 mbps with 72mbps as link speed. Also, do ensure that you are on latest wifi protocol i.e. 802.11 n or ac. Point is, the wifi adapter in the device also matters.

The service guys were in a hurry and I only ran speedtest on LAN.
The speeds you posted are on LAN, then no issues with the speed, servers. Try doing a speed test on 5ghz standing in front of the router. If speeds are very low on wifi, explain and demonstrate it to them and ask for a new router if it doesn't get resolved. Those high pings are on a higher side. You can try changing your dns to google/opendns/cloudflare to see if it improves.

Last edited:
what is the channel frequency set to under router admin page?
How do you access the Jio router admin page? http://192.168.225.1 doesn't work.
If the distance is less, get a new router like Archer C6/A6 if you want basic ones or Mercusys MR 50G, for range in excess of 1500 sq. m. and set it up as an AP.
I have this, can't I use it? https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B008I3GCNU/
If main router to extender via wireless compromise the speed then I would like to use LAN cable to connect the two or if its too short I'll just do wireless whichever is more suited for me.

Last edited:
I think it should be 192.168.1.1 Do refer to the back panel of your router or the manual which came with the router for more info. The above address is standard, works for almost all routers and modems unless company specifically changes it.

Speed loss using WDS is proportional to distance. If you are going to use N300 as access point(AP), I would highly recommend connecting both with Lan since it will transfer Max speeds to N300 or any router and you will have greater flexibility in placing the router depending on area to cover.
I have connected my C6 wirelessly with Nokia(Airtel) to increase the coverage of 5ghz. The speed on my tv dropped from 120 to 95mbps.
Do note that the n300 is only 2.4ghz so you would not get speeds of 150 as provided by Jio. Or you can connect n300 to your laptop and login to admin page to see if it supports 40ghz bandwidth. Still you would get speeds near to 100 mbps.
Most ISPs these days give a cheap router just to ensure the connection is live. If you want better speed and coverage, you need to invest from your own pocket.

Just a heads up.. The settings you change in the router will only be applied to connections setup from that router.

Last edited:
Back