Requirement for solid wireless network around my home

So, this is an antenna i'm supposed to connect to my router? Can i connect it to my Asus RT-n66u router? I was planning on getting another pair of powerline adapters since the signal currently is insufficient.

Well this is an ap. Just creates a wifi network.

It doesn't do any routing or Nat nor dhcp. N66u is pretty plenty... place it right. Try alternate locations.

Incase u go for mikrotik then N66u can simply be replaced by a switch. The chain becomes as follows. Adsl modem > switch > wired ap [mikrotik] > wifi

Earlier problem of streaming 1080p over wifi is a thing of the past and can easily stream upto 12gb prints to my wireless handheld devices from the main road about 75 meters away
So that covers signal strength over distance. But you won't be able to get over the single stream n that your mobile devices are equipped with unless you can output in ac and have ac capable clients. Your device does not putput ac and ac tends to be absorbed rather quickly through walls.

1080p streaming is still problematic regardless of signal strength and is very dependent on peak rates of whatever material being streamed. Cross 30 mbit/s peak at your peril. Have seen some 720p approaching that let alone 1080p.

What is the peak rate of that file ? Use this tool to measure it.

if the avg bitrate of the file did not exceed 7Mbs then yes its possible to stream to 4 clients.

Problem is everybody has different files with different rates and peak rate as the name suggests can cause stuttering with just one client if it approaches 30 Mbs.

I would be cautious about saying 1080 p works without a problem on single stream n wifi.

Use a laptop with dual stream you up the margin some more. Mobiles do not qualify unless they are ac.

This is where wired AP's have an advantage over a single router as they create different nets and each has thier own bandwidth to play with. Downside is the lack of seamless transitioning from one net to the other in case a client moves in range of either. some time back a member posted about this and we could not find a satisfactory answer. At least not yet.

Could u give me a link to such a clip would download and put it to test. I earlier had a multi ap setup and ur right the hand off was where it suffers the most. But ever since with the single ap setup at least with my current cross section of media, I've had no stuttering. Open to test thpugh to understand it better.

use the one you have, presumably you have a few, use that tool, to see what the peak rate is then try streaming around the points where it peaks. People say they can stream 1080p but usually its trailers. Who watches those. people want to see movies and then in the action scenes things start to get choppy.

Lan playback is problematic, youtube is fine as its bitrates never exceed 10Mbs even at 1080p, more compression is used so you should be able to get 3 1080p YT streams working.

[DOUBLEPOST=1405434547][/DOUBLEPOST]
I earlier had a multi ap setup and ur right the hand off was where it suffers the most.
There is a standard which clients must comply with, i think its either 802.11e or k, problem is very few do.

Multi-floor setups are tricky especially when clients roam in and out and expect a seamless transition. There are apps that can help here but it can be tedious.

Your device will work for range so long as clients aren't too greedy. You get to pick one (no handoff but less bandwidth for simultaneous use) or the other (more bandwidth but handoff issue) not both.

Last edited:
Ok. I have got handshaking working best with a bunch of ubnt uap lr. But then these are enterprise level aps
How much do they cost ?

problem is domestic routers do not have support for 801.11r which provides seamless roaming. Ubiquity has a feature known as zero handoff in its AP's and is supposedly cheaper than others. How cheap is the question.

Read this thread for those who want some background.

So from the OP's pov, how many AP's would he need and estimated cost ?
Single AP for Home!

I was quite interested in Picostation of theirs!
But no reviews etc!

Dude I parted from Mikrotik because radiation issues!

But truly would it be good if I would spend that much on a Groove!
I don't know if I can set alignment of antenna !

Single AP for Home!
try the microtik

Dude I parted from Mikrotik because radiation issues!

But truly would it be good if I would spend that much on a Groove!
I don't know if I can set alignment of antenna !
You dont have to use max power, lower it till it covers the rooms you have.

As for this 500mw of power, how well it can actually amplify and be usable is an open question. You may find beyond a certain amount of power, the quality of the signal even stronger does not actually help you shift more data. Might just be enough to cover your house though. What i wonder with a more powerful transmitter is how well it can actually hear the clients at the other end. A more sensitive antenna might do better.

try the microtik

You dont have to use max power, lower it till it covers the rooms you have.

As for this 500mw of power, how well it can actually amplify and be usable is an open question. You may find beyond a certain amount of power, the quality of the signal even stronger does not actually help you shift more data. Might just be enough to cover your house though. What i wonder with a more powerful transmitter is how well it can actually hear the clients at the other end. A more sensitive antenna might do better.

Ok as soon as I setup my base internet,
I will buy that groove!

Back