Android Samsung Galaxy S4 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's terrible news.
Well, that was a statement from teamhacksung (4-5 developers). Entire CM did not say that. Later, CM said it was personal opinion of teamhacksung. Other guys at CM may go ahead and develop ROM for SGS4.

In simpler words, if you love CM (or stock based ROMs), stay away from S4. All because of their Exynos shit! I have a SIII and I hate that even after almost a year it still does not have stable CM.

What phone do you own? Micro lag exists on every phone, doesn't matter if it's a Nexus 4 or a Note 2.

I have used a iPhone4, a nexus One and currently own a S3.
But honestly is this a new term micro lag? All I know about is lag.

Well, that was a statement from teamhacksung (4-5 developers). Entire CM did not say that. Later, CM said it was personal opinion of teamhacksung. Other guys at CM may go ahead and develop ROM for SGS4.
Don't teamhacksung do all the ROMs for Samsung phones?

Anyway, I know you'll eventually see someone whip up an unofficial CM ROM at the very least, but what's worrisome is that some of the most influential devs are already saying this. One of the most appealing aspects of a Samsung device is the abundance of high quality custom ROMs. It would be a shame to not have them for the SGS4.

Don't teamhacksung do all the ROMs for Samsung phones?

Anyway, I know you'll eventually see someone whip up an unofficial CM ROM at the very least, but what's worrisome is that some of the most influential devs are already saying this. One of the most appealing aspects of a Samsung device is the abundance of high quality custom ROMs. It would be a shame to not have them for the SGS4.

Well, I personally know some of the teamhacksung guys. They are not gods. There are many many developers out there who can develop better ROM than CM guys. Rather than depending on CM sources, one can use AOSP, AOKP like sources to make better ROM.

Who needs a slim trim ROM for the phone with that great configuration? Isn't 2GB ram, Quad Core power house enough to drive Samsung ROM?

And there are many features (software) are being added to SGS4. After flashing CM / AOSP ROM you might not be able to use those feature apps.

True to an extent. After having used CM/AOSP based rooms on my Note I've come to the conclusion that roms that are based on Touchwiz seem better. Hey if you want CM etc go the Nexus way.

AFAIK cm roms are based on aosp.

Well, I personally know some of the teamhacksung guys. They are not gods. There are many many developers out there who can develop better ROM than CM guys. Rather than depending on CM sources, one can use AOSP, AOKP like sources to make better ROM.

Who needs a slim trim ROM for the phone with that great configuration? Isn't 2GB ram, Quad Core power house enough to drive Samsung ROM?

My experience is limited to the xda forum for i9000 but it seems like over 75% of the ROMS available there are based on CM 10.1. I assumed it'd be the same for the other Samsung phones. When I said influential, I wasn't talking about their skill but rather about how widespread and well established CM is. AOKP is a very nice alternative though. My original point however, was that devs are already wary about the SGS4, which is not a good thing any way you slice it.

As far as using Samsung stock ROMs - I don't like them. I find Touchwiz too much of an eyesore to use as a daily driver.

My experience is limited to the xda forum for i9000 but it seems like over 75% of the ROMS available there are based on CM 10.1. I assumed it'd be the same for the other Samsung phones. When I said influential, I wasn't talking about their skill but rather about how widespread and well established CM is. AOKP is a very nice alternative though. My original point however, was that devs are already wary about the SGS4, which is not a good thing any way you slice it.

As far as using Samsung stock ROMs - I don't like them. I find Touchwiz too much of an eyesore to use as a daily driver.

Well, one can recompile tw-framework (TouchWiz Framework) and replace samsung layouts to JB layouts (xml) easily :) I ported ICS like layout to GB ROM for SGS before (long time ago) in Jetpack ROM (JetMODS). If the look is not good, one can just make changes in framework so that it will look like AOSP without loosing any Sammy features.

Anyway, if you look at XDA i9000 from 2010. You will find it was full of Samsung ROM customizations. When Samsung stopped giving updates to SGS. Developers started moving to CM and other sources. The same case will happen with SGS4. People will customize Samsung ROM until Samsung stops providing updates. I would never use any ROM which is not stable enough to provide all the default features the smartphone comes with. :)

Well, one can recompile tw-framework (TouchWiz Framework) and replace samsung layouts to JB layouts (xml) easily :) I ported ICS like layout to GB ROM for SGS before (long time ago) in Jetpack ROM (JetMODS). If the look is not good, one can just make changes in framework so that it will look like AOSP without loosing any Sammy features.

Anyway, if you look at XDA i9000 from 2010. You will find it was full of Samsung ROM customizations. When Samsung stopped giving updates to SGS. Developers started moving to CM and other sources. The same case will happen with SGS4. People will customize Samsung ROM until Samsung stops providing updates. I would never use any ROM which is not stable enough to provide all the default features the smartphone comes with. :)

Alright. Thank you for the info. :)

Supercurio Confirmed That the DAC used in the Exynos Version is a Wolfson one (WM5102 to be precise)

But supercurio has something to say,"In the current GT-I9500 implementation, Android sound system defaults to 48kHz: means every music is up-sampled with poor quality algo."
Thats a Bummer :(

Supercurio Confirmed That the DAC used in the Exynos Version is a Wolfson one (WM5102 to be precise)

But supercurio has something to say,"In the current GT-I9500 implementation, Android sound system defaults to 48kHz: means every music is up-sampled with poor quality algo."
Thats a Bummer :(
Poor algorithm can be optimized. Just like what Supercurio did for SGS. :) Corrected frequency (lower I believe) = more processing power. Since SGS4 comes up with monster processor, it won't be an issue :D

That's great news and is the above mentioned DAC ie. WM5102 any different from the one used in SIII.

I have listened to SIII for a short period of time and there is nothing special in terms of SQ :p

Poor algorithm can be optimized. Just like what Supercurio did for SGS. :) Corrected frequency (lower I believe) = more processing power. Since SGS4 comes up with monster processor, it won't be an issue :D

Excerpts from his tweets :"It's not something I can fix because it's hardcoded in proprietary libs (no source) and possibly in some drivers as well.But it can be fixed, by @SamsungMobile, so I'll write an article that hopefully will make them modify their code."

If supercurio(I think he is ;)) is influential enough to make samsung come up with a fix,then its fine :)

Excerpts from his tweets :"It's not something I can fix because it's hardcoded in proprietary libs (no source) and possibly in some drivers as well.But it can be fixed, by @SamsungMobile, so I'll write an article that hopefully will make them modify their code."

If supercurio(I think he is ;)) is influential enough to make samsung come up with a fix,then its fine :)
Saw the tweet. Well, libraries can be modified if source is available. Just like we did for SGS. I hope Sammy will give sources of libraries. Remeber Supercurio is family guy for Samsung. He is the reason why SGS sold like hot cakes.. Thanks to his amazing optimizations and mods.

Saw the tweet. Well, libraries can be modified if source is available. Just like we did for SGS. I hope Sammy will give sources of libraries. Remeber Supercurio is family guy for Samsung. He is the reason why SGS sold like hot cakes.. Thanks to his amazing optimizations and mods.
Voodoo Sound. Thats The sole reason I had bought my SGS ;).
And I'll go with the GS4 too if supercurio does the same magic with this beast!! :D

Had to fix and test a issue related to 3G chipset. So got a Korean S4 at work.

I was surprised to see some lags in touchwiz ui. I guess it was not the final release version. It was running on 4.2.2. The stock Android is so much better and faster to navigate.

Screen looks good. Camera has some nice options. Not sure about the image quality, I am not allowed to take any pics in office.

Lots of S apps. The equivalent Google apps are much better and simple to use.

The waving gesture wasn't working for some reason

The hover feature has good potential. Comes pretty handy in browser and if you want to read many msgs/emails quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back