PC Peripherals SATA Query

Switch

Skilled
Jan 13, 2005
Hi guys,

I have recently started using using SATA Drives and i wanted to know that is there any way you can se a SATA Drive without a Floppy Drive. Actaully i dont own a FDD and i dont intend on buying one either. I wanted to install XP on the SATA Drive but i dont have the FDD to provide the SATA drivers during the installation so wanted to know that weather is there any other way to do this.

Thanks

P.S. BTW I do have an USB key but i dont think that would help.

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai
maybe you can create a custom xp installation cd with the sata drivers slipstreamed .. lots of manufacturers make oem xp cds the same way. try asking one of the software gurus for help with this and let me know as well so i can throw away my fdd too :cool2:

deejay

Skilled
Feb 9, 2005
Are you using "SATA Raid" ?????

i dunno about other chipsets but on intel if you are not using Raid There is no need for Sata Drivers. it all depends upon how you setup the drive / raid controller in the m/b bios.

EasyDuzIt

Recruit
Mar 22, 2005
deejay said:
Are you using "SATA Raid" ?????
i dunno about other chipsets but on intel if you are not using Raid There is no need for Sata Drivers. it all depends upon how you setup the drive / raid controller in the m/b bios.
^^^ I agree...... and....If you also have a PATA drive then disconnect this at time of installing OS on a SATA drive.

Switch

Skilled
Jan 13, 2005
I am on AMD with VIA chipset... This is not helping... Let me google about slipstreaming the drivers...

deejay

Skilled
Feb 9, 2005
Switch said:
I am on AMD with VIA chipset... This is not helping... Let me google about slipstreaming the drivers...
Did you check the m/b manual or the co. website first for your purpose.
post your m/b brand and model no.
Since i use raid i do have slipstreamed bootable xp cd with all the support for nearly all my peripherials.(customised for my rig, with no user intervention whatsoever during installation).

it would / may take many attempts at burning before you get it right.

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai
i dashed off an e mail to asus the day before and just got a reply. they said that we need a floppy with the drivers to install it..

deejay

Skilled
Feb 9, 2005
Yes Bottle, you are correct the drivers are needed. and if you are using non-raid it is better to use the promise controller.

make sure that the sata cable is connected to that controller on the m/b.

and in the bios select non-raid (ATA / IDE ) mode.
And switch have you succedded in making that bootable cd ????
you would need to make changes in winnt.sif , txtsetup.sif , txtsetup.oem files before burning.

(there are other methods too)
Best will be if you read the deployment guide included in the xp sp2 cd. it describes the complete procedure in detail.
Then you visit msnf.org forum site. (if you had googled for info this would have been the first site in the list)

mehargags

Adept
Mar 26, 2005
if u tell me the Asus Motherboard;s Make & model ,, I can help u make XP cd that has these Sata controller Driver integrated , so no need to F6.
I made the CD for my Asus P5GD!-VM which has an ITE 8211 IDE controller which also needs F6 Drivers from Floppy