Storage Solutions Seagate external Hdd owners - few queries

multi

Adept
Right now I need an external hdd for my data ( downloaded from net ).

it will be attached to laptop .

from asking few friends & google I zero down on Seagate external drives , but still have some queries .

I checked Seagate FreeAgent: USB 2.0 External, Portable & Desktop Hard Drives - Data Backups | Seagate

I need external drive which doesn't require external power .

if you own either Freeagent or newer Go Flex which 1 is better ?

I liked Free agent Desk ( 3.5 ") interface other than that slim (2.5 ")

most imp , can we easily open Free agent Desk & replace HDD in future ?

have u done that ?( forget warrranty I know )

do suggest me pro & cons for above :ashamed:

I have a FreeAgent go 320 GB, and a friend of mine has FreeAgent go flex 1 TB. The Free Agent GO flex is a glossy drive and the main advantage is that it can be upgraded to USB 3.0 but that is just a gimmick. They probably use the same drive internally so the should perform similarly. I have read that Free Agent desktop drives suffer from high temperatures so watch out.

I have Freeagent go and its safe to invest on this drive. Go for the portable one which doesnt need a power adapter. And i think dissassembling the external hdd and installing a new hdd inside its enclosure is not going to work out, and you may end up voiding warranty. If you want to do that, you can purchase an external drive enclosure and get an internal HDD fixed inside that.

You cant go wrong with the seagate freeagent drives... But bear in mind that each and every piece of electronic hardware is subject to failure... So It depends on your luck ...

I have been using a freeagent go 320GB portable 2.5" USB drive and it has been working well for the past 1 year. Looks cool and performs decently. I have not noticed it heating up so far and you get 5yrs warranty I think. Go for it.

Get the Goflex. Its the newer version, looks much better than freeagent and runs incredibly cool. I have a go flex 1TB and I use it 24/7 for my torrent downloads, So far, I am yet to face any issue.

No, all portable drives come with only 3 year warranty.

I have been using Seagate Freeagent Go for 2 years now. NO issues.

But the Freeagent GO is not easily available as of now. It has been replaced by the GO Flex.

About replacing the internal Drive, I would suggest that you get a 1TB drive. SO, there won't be any need to replace the internal drive soon.

Back