Sites not loading but torrents are fine

Hi...I just got a new internet connection today and connected the same to the router for wireless access...problem is that I am able to surf net and download etc. in my desktop but not able to surf net on my laptop..
Heres the twist...torrent downloads are working but no web site is loading...but when I boot into Ubuntu, in laptop, everything seems to be fine...
Have no clue as to what is wrong here...have tried Chrome, IE nd Firefox too but nothing worked...even ares says 'Test failed' when I click 'Check Connection' in its network options...

Using Windows XP Home nd Ubuntu in laptop
Windows XP pro in desktop

Happened to one of my friend once. Try typing in IP address instead of website name. If it works there is some problem with resolving DNS.

^ +1

While torrent is running, your number of TCP connections limit may have reached ... that can also be reason of sites not opening ... u can verify this by stopping torrents and then opening website

U guys are right..DNS settings were not correct..I had put the IP and DNS settings manually before and forgot to change the same for the new connection...fixed it now...

Back