CPU/Mobo Suggest an AM2 mobo for a dirt cheap rig based on Sempron LE1200 :)

Private Ryan

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
I'm getting a dirt cheap rig for internet and some entertainment, as my main rig is constantly under heavy usage for my 3d rendering and editing work.
I've singled out the sempron LE1200 as it serves my purpose well enuf for net usage n some music n movies.:p
I need a mobo that is stable enuf for this rig. There are 4 mobos that i've come across that are cheap..

Asus M2NMX-SE
GF6100+NF430

MSI K9N6SGM-V
GF6100+NF405

Gigabyte GA-M61PM-S2
GF6100+NF430

Biostar NF61V Micro AM2
GF6100+NF405

Which one wud be the most reliable mobo out of all these? Also considering RMA n stuff..?

Thanks in advance..:D

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
I'd say Gigabyte. I have a gigabyte GA M61SME S2(GF6100+NF405) running night and day off an LE 1100 :D

geek ashish

Adept
Nov 25, 2005
Mumbai
AMD Sempron 1200 and Biostar K8M800 Micro AM2
combo is available for 3650/- at lammy. grab it. :)
This one is famous in cybercafes and schools.

No gaming on this mobo though, coz VIA chipset and AGP 8X port :(

Asus M2NMX-SE plus is available for 2200/-
nVidia 6100, 5.1 Ch audio, lan, x16 PCI-e port, 2 sata2 ports

w1nD

Adept
Nov 23, 2007
hey buddy i have a am2 board asus m2a-vm :) pm me if u want to buy it :) also its used only for 4 days and is lying spick n span in my cupboard :)

Private Ryan

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
greenhorn said:
I'd say Gigabyte. I have a gigabyte GA M61SME S2(GF6100+NF405) running night and day off an LE 1100 :D
I've heard tht giga's rma is much better than tht of asus..:p so do u think, this one, Gigabyte GA-M61PM-S2 is a good board to get? Any idea about the price?Thanks.:)

geek ashish said:
AMD Sempron 1200 and Biostar K8M800 Micro AM2
combo is available for 3650/- at lammy. grab it. :)
This one is famous in cybercafes and schools.

No gaming on this mobo though, coz VIA chipset and AGP 8X port :(

Asus M2NMX-SE plus is available for 2200/-
nVidia 6100, 5.1 Ch audio, lan, x16 PCI-e port, 2 sata2 ports
I'd better stay away from the via chipset..:( I'm getting the LE1200+Asus M2NMX SE(6100+nf430) combo for 3.6k..I think its a good deal.Only thing tht worries me is the ASUS RMA..:(

w1nD said:
hey buddy i have a am2 board asus m2a-vm :) pm me if u want to buy it :) also its used only for 4 days and is lying spick n span in my cupboard :)
Thanks for the offer,mate.:) But i need this thing up n running in a day n hence, cant wait for long to get the mobo delivered.:ashamed: Besides, its all cheapo stuff, so getting new stuff makes sense na..:p
Thanks again! :)

Private Ryan

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
Okay guys, i inquired abt the prices of combo deals n i'm getting the sempy LE1200+Asus M2NMX SE and the LE1200+MSI K9N6SGM-V for 3.6k.

While the LE1200+Biostar NF61S Micro AM2 for 3.5k..

Though the price difference doesnt matter, I'm kindof tilting towards the Asus M2NMX SE.But the RMA comes back to haunt me.:ashamed:

I'm a fan of MSI mobos as they are very reliable and have rock solid stability. Have been using a MSI P965Neo F for 2 yrs now n it just never gave me any issues whatsoever. So the MSI K9N6SGM wud be a good choice as far as reliability goes..but it has a dated NF405 chipset.. (though i wonder, if it'll make much difference.:S)

Finally, though the dealer gave me an assurance the biostar mobos are reliable and are backed by 3 yrs. warranty, i'm kindof apprehensive towards buying it as i have no idea about their RMA, if things go wrong..

Gigabyte mobo for some strange reasons was not available at prime abgb..:S

So, which combo do u think, i shud get? Asus, MSI or Biostar? :S

vicente

Disciple
Aug 25, 2005
ASUS has an am2+ revision called m2n-mx se plus i.e. 'plus' is additional to the model you listed. this should cost around 2.2k. makes it a lil future proof.

cranky

Skilled
Jan 3, 2007
Calcutta, India
I've got a simple rule about hardware nowadays. I just buy from the lowest-priced vendor if I think warranty/replacement doesn't make a difference, and if it does, then I buy from people I know and I can depend on to support me. I'd buy a board (or other hardware where the RMA is a little complicated) from Prime because they help you get replacements and through the entire process of replacing.

They took back my very defective Jetway after the distributor found no fault with it three times (they'd have to load windows and run it for a couple of days to spot issues, plus it didn't run 2560x resolution off the DVI port, which it was supposed to do). And gave me a spanking new M2A-VM, with spanking new warranty, after I paid a top-up value. It solved all my problems, and the old board just had three months to warranty end.

I'd buy a WD hard disk from anywhere because the RMA is pretty top-notch and independent of the retailer.

Of course, if the hardware is not available anywhere else, then you have to pony up extra cash. I paid the Techshop 1000 bucks more than the market price of a cabinet because he had it, I needed it, and it wasn't available anywhere else.

Since you have no issues of the sort, I would just pick up the MSI and be done with it. That way, you have no chance of post-purchase dissonance. I haven't used MSI much, but the ones I've used have always been very reliable.

Private Ryan

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
@Vincente : Yes yes..thats the board they are giving me.:) Sorry, i forgot to add the '+'..:p

@Sangram: Thanks for the advice,dada.:) I think, i should do an eenie meenie mynie mo at the shop between M2NMX SE+ and the MSI K9N6SGM..:p

Ohh, finally, will a 300w psu suffice? I will not be ocing this system at all.All that will be connected to this rig is a 160 gb sata hdd, 1 gb ram and a dvd writer, and 2 fans, maybe..Will make use of the onboard gfx n audio. So, for this much load will 300 watts be enuf? I'm getting a powersafe 300w psu for 600 bucks.The 400 watts unit is for 1.1k.Doesnt make much sense, does it? :S

Also, i'm not gonna get a new monitor now.So will have to make do with my Viewsonic VG1930wm which is connected to my primary rig. Now i think, there was a thread here on TE where someone had connected 2 systems to a single vg1930wm.one on the dvi port and one on the d-sub port.And the display cud be switched on the fly using the display switch button on the monitor.I know its a noobish question, but is it alright to use it this way? :ashamed: I hope switiching displays this way doesnt cause any problems to the monitor,which has been working flawlessly for more than a year.:ashamed:

Private Ryan

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
Remote desktop setup interests me.. But considering my 'non-techie' background :)ashamed:),I need some help. i havent ever setup a local lan network. :ashamed: Though i do know that to connect 2 computers,i wud need a rj45 crossover cable, n there on, setting up a remote desktop system is easy.

But the problem is tht my internet connection(sify) comes through lan and hence, the rj45 port in my primary system is used by the net connection. Now, if i want to connect the new system for remote access, i'll have to use the crossover cable. But then, there will be no place left to connect the sify lan..:S How do i set it up then, so tht i can atleast use the net connection on one of the systems, and yet, be connected to the other system by lan? Will i need to purchase a hub for it?

Help this noob,yaar..:p

Ohh, btw, i got the Asus M2NMX SE+, as the MSI was not available at prime today. And since its really far from my place (navi mumbai),its cumbersome to come all the way again..so i just picked up whatever was available..:p

Atleast i didnt have to do eenie meenie mynie mo..:lol:

Got these things..

Sempron LE1200 + Asus M2NMX SE+ : 3600/-

Gskill 1GB DDR2 667 : 1050/-

VIP Powersafe 300W PSU : 600/-

Moserbaer 20x DVD Writer SATA : 1100/-

Total : 6350/-

Rest of the stuff, i have..:p Will connect a 160 gb sata hdd and a tv tuner card to it..:p

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
you'll need to setup a lan anyway to share /acess files.Its not rocket science :p

el cheapo router + 2 lan cables is all you need :)

Private Ryan

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
^Thanks for the help,mate..:)

Can u suggest me a good router brand/model that is cheap and yet, reliable?:p

(Noob Question Alert! :p )

Btw, a router has its own ip address na? Now if i connect the sify lan cable to the router, will i be able to share the connection on atleast one of the PCs tht are connected to the router?:S Cos sify uses a static ip and if i give the router the static IP address tht sify gave me, how will i give one of the PCs that are connected to the router the same IP address? :S Wont it show an IP address conflict? :S Also, because of the static ip address, i cannot use the connection on both the computers simultaneously,isnt it? I'll have to disable LAN on one the the PCs to use the connection on another,if i give both the PCs the same IP address (tht sify gave me),right? :S

Alright,i presume,it may not be possible to use the connection on both the computers simultaneously, but can i use it on atleast one of the pcs?

I know, this is going OT, but please help me out yaar..:p Without setting up the LAN, the new system is just a sitting duck..:p I'm unable to dedicate more cash (or even space on my puter table) for a second monitor..:p So, i have to use both the systems with a single monitor, and preferably,connected to each other for file transfer..:p

Edit: IST 2208 hrs - I just saw bunnyboi reading this thread..:p Help me out, will you..:mad:

:p :p

SunnyBoi

Branch Manager
Staff member
Patron
Jan 31, 2005
Bangalore
Private Ryan said:
Btw, a router has its own ip address na? Now if i connect the sify lan cable to the router, will i be able to share the connection on atleast one of the PCs tht are connected to the router?:S Cos sify uses a static ip and if i give the router the static IP address tht sify gave me, how will i give one of the PCs that are connected to the router the same IP address? :S Wont it show an IP address conflict? :S Also, because of the static ip address, i cannot use the connection on both the computers simultaneously,isnt it? I'll have to disable LAN on one the the PCs to use the connection on another,if i give both the PCs the same IP address (tht sify gave me),right? :S

Alright,i presume,it may not be possible to use the connection on both the computers simultaneously, but can i use it on atleast one of the pcs?

just buy the rother, it wil work. :p

Reactions: 1 person

Private Ryan

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
^Arreh..Atleast elaborate a bit more, as to how i set up the router to use the net connection on atleast one of the pcs connected to it.Not everyone is a pro bunny like you..:mad:

:bleh:

Btw, wot is a rother? :bleh: :tongue:

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
Just make sure the router/hub is capable of 100 mbps. the 10Mbps ones arent significantly cheaper , and the gigabit ones are too expensive. The setup should be almost plug and play. post here if you run into any issues. seems like you know enough to figure out any small issues :)

Reactions: 1 person

Private Ryan

Skilled
Dec 24, 2006
^Err..i hope so..:ashamed: Thanks a lot for all the help, greenhorn.:) Will post here if i run into any issues setting it up..:p Have to get a cheapo router asap..:lol:

Thanks again! :)