Graphic Cards suggestion for a graphics card

diabloReigns

Disciple
Hi,

Please suggest a graphics card for the following config.

Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Overview - GA-K8VM800M (Rev 2.x)

Amd Athlon 64 (2800+)

Dell S2209
Dell S2209W Flat Panel Monitor

2GB DDR 400

Primary Use: watching TV and movies (HD as well)

Budget INR 3000.
It's a pretty weird config, and I would be upgrading soon, but until then, I need a cheapo card desperately. Please suggest one asap. I tried looking through the other threads, but could not find something conclusive.

Thanks.

Update: I use Ubuntu. So, driver availability is a must. I am very outdated on this and have no idea whether decent drivers are available for the Geforce 8/9 series or ATI Radeon 4000/3000 series. Appreciate any info in this regard.

+1 to 8600GT/9500 GT (GDDR3 ones)
How much time before you upgrade? Getting any of these cards for any sort of gaming will lead to disappointment on a ~22 inch screen though.
Get it if you absolutely must, and please do post here before you make any future upgrades.
Good luck :)

EDIT: I'm not sure you have a PCI-Express slot on this motherboard. Can you confirm? If not, it'll save you the trouble of deciding what component to upgrade first.

EDIT2: Pretty sure it has an AGP 8x slot. I wouldn't recommend buying a new card. Either get a used AGP card(try the TE market, i would advise against investing on an AGP card though) or do a step by step upgrade of the other components(recommended).

Please post your thoughts. :)

diabloReigns said:
am open to ati also.

HD4550 512MB GDDR3 is also a good, low power option. Anywayz ur system is old, no point getting an old 8600GT or some more powerful card.
And check driver heaven HD4550, it rocks all games at medium settings.

+1 to amien

I think your motherboard lacks pci-e slots. For now u have to deal with AGP cards. Other option is to get a newer board.

Investing 3-4k for an AGP card really doesn't make sense. You can't keep it if you update. Neither it is anywhere to deliver a minimum performance for gaming.

@Diablo

As I can see your motherboard do not have PCI-E slot and investing 3-4k on is real waste as suggested by sabby.

If your processor supports AM2 socket(It seems its a 939 socket), then rather than getting a graphics card, sell your current motherboard and RAM which will fetch you atleast 1k-1.5k. Invest this 1.5k in getting a 2GB DDR2 RAM and 3k(+500) which you reserved for graphics card to get you a BIOSTAR 785G motherboard from here http://www.techenclave.com/dealers-paradise/biostar-amd-785-chipset-motherboards-145549.html. It will give you as decent performance as getting a AGP graphics card plus this will make your upgrade path clear. :)

as your screen is 22" i'll suggest you to increase your budget coz getting a 3k Gcard will not make much difference.

i'll suggest you to get atleast a 8800.

Back