CPU/Mobo Suggestions for an AM4 air cooler

deusExMachina

Disciple
I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with a wraith Prism heatsink/cooler which was recently brought up for compiling (Gentoo). It was noticed recently that some times the core temperature (lm-sensors) goes up to about 83C which IMO is worrisome for a CPU with Tjmax of 95C.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a cooler? the case is not wide enough to support some tower coolers. In the past a hyper 212x evo was slightly too tall in this case (perhaps by a centimeter).

Unlike half a decade ago, proper heatsink benchmarking seems harder to find these days. Just a lot of rubbish unboxing videos or a list of 'best' coolers without justifying why.

Last edited:
I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with a wraith Prism heatsink/cooler which was recently brought up for compiling (Gentoo). It was noticed recently that some times the core temperature (lm-sensors) goes up to about 83C which IMO is worrisome for a CPU with Tjmax of 95C.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a cooler? the case is not wide enough to support some tower coolers. In the past a hyper 212x evo was slightly too tall in this case (perhaps by a centimeter).

Unlike half a decade ago, proper heatsink benchmarking seems harder to find these days. Just a lot of rubbish unboxing videos or a list of 'best' coolers without justifying why.
The best of the best is Noctua NH-D15. Black Rock 4, assassin III. Noctua NH-U12S is also good.

By doing some bio settings and calibration you can reduce the temps easily. Reddit or google for more.

It was noticed recently that some times the core temperature (lm-sensors) goes up to about 83C which IMO is worrisome for a CPU with Tjmax of 95C.
It's never worrisome for CPU. CPU don't go bad with high temp. You can run your CPU at 100C for next 10 years and it'll still be fine. 100C is nothing for CPU. Even they can sustain 200C for some time.

Change your cooler only if it's loud or the CPU is throttling.

You can also put your cooler fan in pull method and that'll drop a couple of degrees more. It'll also protect surrounding components like RAM, VRMs from heat.

It's never worrisome for CPU. CPU don't go bad with high temp. You can run your CPU at 100C for next 10 years and it'll still be fine. 100C is nothing for CPU. Even they can sustain 200C for some time.

Change your cooler only if it's loud or the CPU is throttling.

You can also put your cooler fan in pull method and that'll drop a couple of degrees more. It'll also protect surrounding components like RAM, VRMs from heat.
It really depends on what temperatures the CPU is rated for. Operating near the limits is bad for electronics in general.

Guys, so looks like the issue is with poor airflow inside the case. I tested this hypothesis out using a paper duct from the cpu to the fresh air outside and it reduced the peak temperatures from 8-10 C
You can check arctic 34 esports duo...
It's too big for my case :D

The hyper 212 is about 158mm tall, this one is 157mm tall.

Looks like my case has a poor air flow which is causing the high temps. Need to build in some ghetto ducting :D

Last edited:
I use Deepcool AS500 with Ryzen 5600 and with a 30degree ambient my CPU idles at 39~41. I added a Noctua NF-A14 HS fan for push/pull config. It's a good VFM cooler imo

I use Deepcool AS500 with Ryzen 5600 and with a 30degree ambient my CPU idles at 39~41. I added a Noctua NF-A14 HS fan for push/pull config. It's a good VFM cooler imo
Could you (if possible) run prime95 or mprime and look at the peak temperature after about 30 mins? One of the tests in that suite seems to really push the thermals. I'm mostly curious.

Could you (if possible) run prime95 or mprime and look at the peak temperature after about 30 mins? One of the tests in that suite seems to really push the thermals. I'm mostly curious.
ran for around 30mins at 62C
1662476818006.png

Last edited:
The stock cooler for the 3600 was very bad in my experience.
I got far better performance with the DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GTE V2 and Corsair H45..
The stock cooler is a Wraith spire, right? I have a prism from another build. Based on benchmarks it's supposed to be almost as good as a hyper 212.

I'm curious though, how does your GTE V2 compare to the H45? assuming that the case had good air flow
@deusExMachina you can try undervolting -

Undervolting will bring temps down and give you the better performance.
I'll explore more on this, as of now I think my Motherboard / BIOS disallows it. The CPU voltage config section is unpopulated. This is an ASRock A320M-HDV board for reference.

For now, I'm keeping undervolting as a last resort because I run a lot of CPU heavy workloads (frequent compilation) and could use every bit of performance stated on the box :) (no plans to overclock)
@deusExMachina Well you could go for a Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 which is a low cost and decent performing 120mm fan air cooler with a height of 155mm (if it could fit in).
It give an improvement of ~ 10C vs a Wraith Prism right?

Tower coolers wouldn't fit my case but at the point, I might just use standoffs to side panel to get a few centimeters needed to fit one, if it comes to that.

BTW an air duct to the Prism cooler itself gives me an 8-10C improvement (from what I remember)

Last edited:
I'm curious though, how does your GTE V2 compare to the H45? assuming that the case had good air flow

Yes, the case has very good airflow with push/pull fans and mesh intake n exhaust.
Both the GTE V2 & H45 gave pretty much similar performance. Max temps while gaming I see is around 77C. Idle temps are around 40~45C.
I had bought the H45 initially thinking a liquid cooler will be more effective than an air cooler. But then for some time, I had to use the GTE V2 temporarily where I saw a very similar performance.
So in this comparison, I would say the air cooler came out on top due to its smaller footprint and hassle-free operation. Maybe a 240mm radiator liquid cooler could perform better idk..
Overall you can expect a 10~15C difference between the stock cooler and an aftermarket one.

Look into Gammaxx 400 V2. It's around 155mm tall and should be cheaper than Hyper 212.
I guess GTE V2 suggested in earlier posts is just with an RGB and tad better fan over the G400 V2.
ID Cooling SE224XT is pretty good too and beats the Hyper 212 but looks to be quite pricy in India.
Thermalright also have launched an arsenal of budget coolers. Not sure if they're available at a good price.

Deepcool Gammaxx 400 v2 like the others suggested. If you want something more clean then deepcool ak400

Back