PC Peripherals Suggestions for branded PCs

MrHappiness

Disciple
May 28, 2009
Hello all

My uncle needs to buy a ::branded:: PC for his home, which includes my aunt and a nephew of 7. The general purpose use would be internet/MM.

I have identified the following from the net:

1. Zenith Consumer Series PC G31 - Online price of 21k

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor, E7300 - 2.66 GHz; 3 MB Cache, 1066 MHz FSB

Free Linux

Intel G31 Chipset Motherboard

2 GB DDR2 2 DIMM slots, upgradeable to 4GB using 2GB modules; Supports Dual Channel

320 GB, 8 MB Cache, SATA-II, 7200 RPM

DVD Writer

Onboard Intel GMA3100 Graphics

19” Wide TFT Monitor with Integrated Speakers

Onboard High Definition audio CODEC

Onboard Gigabit 10/100/1000 LAN

Micro ATX Case with Power Supply

107 Keys Keyboard / Logitech USB Optical Mouse

2. Dell Inspiron Desktop 535s (S240503IN8) - Price: 36k

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual-Core E5200 (2.5GHz, 800MHz, 2MB)

Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Basic 32 bit SP1 Edition (English)

1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis

Dell(TM) S2209WFP 21.5 " Full HD Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor

2GB (2X1GB) DDR2 800MHz SDRAM Memory

320GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive with Native Command Queuing

19-in-1 Hi-Speed Media Card Reader

16X DVD + /-RW with Dual Layer Write Capabilities

ATI(R) Radeon(TM) HD 4350 512MB DDR2

Integrated high definition 5.1 channel audio

Dell(TM) AX210 (2.0) Speakers

Dell(TM) Consumer Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Bundle

Dell(TM) Optical USB Mouse

Now, the Dell is configured with some extras (HD monitor, GFX card, wireless kbd/mouse, speakers), given the customization possible.

So I have the following questions:

1. How good is Zenith as a brand and what can be expected in terms of After Sales Service in Pune?

2. I personally prefer the Dell over Zenith. So how much is the cost disadvantage of getting a Dell over assembling a similar machine?

3. Any users of the new Dell 535s model around?

4. Any other brands to consider Acer/HP/HCL?

Thanks for all the fish guys. :)

The Sorcerer

Skilled
Jun 16, 2007
hardwarebbq.com
What fish >_> ?

BTW, why do you want to go for branded? Components usually have warranty period of 3-5 years but on "branded" pcs, it is just one.

Anyways, if he still wants "branded" with extremely limited option to upgrade then he can go for the 21k config. Check out sidhu Punjab's config guide if your uncle changed your mind to get an "assembled" system.

MrHappiness

Disciple
May 28, 2009
Hmmm thanks Sorcerer. The warranty is a good point to make. Would try that out.
But price wise how much would an assembled machine similar to the Zenith cost?

And yeah the fish! Just wanted to sound a bit cool, I guess :) . Anyways hope you know the wonderful source "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish" - the fourth book of the Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. :)

One more quick question:

Is the X3100 with E5200 good enough to output full HD movies? Gaming is not an issue.

Aces170

ex-Mod
Mar 16, 2005
Intel onboard are a piece of crap, but I think they can render HD movies (will need a higher cpu utilization) avoid them. And as Sorcy says unless you are a corporate client does not make sense in buying a pre-assembled rig these days.

You can build a much more refined rig yourself, check the config guide.

I do know its for your uncle, but E5200 are a dream overclocking processor, a mild overclock should no be an issue even for a 24/7 operation.

Emil

Skilled
Nov 10, 2005
Mumbai
Here's what I think. You are in Mumbai, your uncle in Pune. If it is assembled, you will always feel responsible if something goes wrong. Is your uncle a guy who can understand tech?

You must look at many intangible factors if you want to push him towards assembled. I have gone through this several times. More important than the machine is the psychology of the relative who will be putting up the money. If he is the cranky type, tell him to identify which vendor provides the best service in his area and go with that.

Assembled is definitely better for the tech inclined and understanding relative. But make sure you have a tech savvy guy staying close to your uncle who will help in difficulty. Otherwise, you will face the music even when members of your uncle's family have usage related issues.

MrHappiness

Disciple
May 28, 2009
Thank you all for your posts.

So from tech point of view it is very clear Assembled >> Branded. (Price + Warranty + Upgradability + Configuration)

But I guess what Emil has said, is what is more relevant in my case too. For my uncle, the PC is an important purchase and he hasn't ever heard of an assembled system earlier. We were also having rather long discussions on OS and stuff. So I guess I would just pass and let him get something from the shop down the lane.

Thanks a ton Emil. Hooked the fish :)