Suggestions for Cheap Office Machine

Hey!

Looking to upgrade my dads old P3 based office machine. Looking to do it as cheap as possible.
It just needs to do very basic tasks, maximum may be running 5-6 spreadsheets simultaneously along with the regular Outlook and stuff!

Q: What is your budget?​
8-10K
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration​
CPU - Pentium 3
Motherboard - Don't remember
GPU - haha! :p
RAM - 256MB SD RAM
HDD - Seagate 20GB IDE
Monitor - 17" CRT
SMPS - generic
Q: Which hardware will you be keeping​
HDD - WD 500GB Green (Spare lying around)
Monitor - 17" Samsung
Key Board/ Mouse
Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy​
CPU - Intel/AMD
Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
RAM - 2Gb
Case + DVD Writer if budget permits..
Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component​
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
Monitor - 20" Dell
Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)​
Chennai / Open to online purchase
Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market​
No
Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware​
Office machine - Mail - Excel - Word - Browsing
Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.​
Nope. Open to all suggestions.
Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?​
Solitaire + Free Cell :p
Q: Are you looking to overclock?​
No
Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?​
Win XP or 7

Hi Spyking, Following is the configuration I normally choose for my office.

AMD Athlon II X2 250 - Rs.2750

Asus M4A78LT-M LE Motherboard - Rs.2675

Corsair 2GB DDR-3 1333Mhz - Rs.1000

IBall 7272 /Zebroncis Cabinet (with SMPS) - Rs.1300

Asus DVD Writer Rs.1050
Total (Rs) 8775

The motherboard listed above uses the 760G chipset which Asus claims is custom tailored for office productivity. I am yet to come across any issues with this motherboard. The only limitation being it only supports processors upto 95w.

Hope this helps.

Thank you! Will suggest the same to dad :)

What would be the differences b/w the following boards? M4N68T-M LE V2, M4A78LT-M LE and the Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 ?

Thanks

M4N68T-M LE V2 - old nvidia chipset based. Avoid!

M4A78LT-M LE and the Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 - Both are 760G. You can get the cheaper of the two :)

Guys, The upgrade didn't happen at that time.
It should happen today, and looking at the PC buying guide, have selected the following.

Athlon X2 260 ~ 2800
GA MA78LMT-S2 ~ 2500
2GB Corisair ~ 800
Dvd drive ~ 950
Case ~ 1000

Is this okay?
A question, will this mobo allow me to upgrade to a better proccy down the line? in the same price range in intel will I get something that has a bit of updatability?

ALso, i was looking tru delta page, they don't list the Gigabyte mobo.. what else can I pick?

Thanks!

I found the mobo ~ 3k @deltapage, but no luck with the proccy.. What would the cost be?

The only reason I was going with the AMD system was that the intel alternative E5700 would have been the old 775 socket.

Proccy would cost you 3.3K... Agree with you the Intel alternative for Athlon X2 was old LGA775 socket, but even AM3 socket would vanish in near future. AM3+ boards are already out. So my suggestion to you is to go for 1155 socket. And if you intend to spend more get AM3+ mobo and AMD proccy, but AM3+ boards are a bit costly.

For office rig as well as for decent gaming (with discrete GPU) G620 is more than enough

Sure...My pleasure

Intel Pentium G620 = 3200/-

Asus P8H61 M LE = 3200/-

Gskill value ram 4gb 1600mhz = 1100/-

500Gb seagate HDD = 1900/-

DVD writer LG OEM = 925/-

Circle 623 cabinet = 900/-

Seasonic SS 400 bronze = 2125/-

Logitech keyboard mouse combo = 650/-

Logitech 2.0 speakers = 400/-

Dell 20inch LED monitor = 6000/-

Go with the G620, its much better than the AMD 260. Only reason i went for AMD was that would be upgrading to Phenom soon, plus needed USB3+eSATA+HDMI support. Oh, and AM3+ compatibility,just in case. Also AM3+ boards should be around 3.1K based on 760G platform, will check it out for you, tomorrow.

Go for a combo of CPU+mobo+4gb ram from the same shop. you might get a small discount. Finally rather than using the green drive, go for a normal 7200 rpm drive, it will be much better for performance, especially for outlook if there are large pst files.

For just an office rig this is prefect as u will save money and gain more performance and will have upgrade options for BD if u ever wish to do so :p

Product name|Price|Source
AMD Sepmron 145|1750/-| SMC INT
Asus M5A78L-M LX|2700/-| SMC INT
Corsair VS DDR3 133Mhz|1400/-| SMC INT
CoolerMaster Elite 310|1550/-| SMC INT
Corsair CX400 PSU|2800/-| SMC INT
TOTAL|10200/-|Win7 Calculator :p

I have choosen Sempron just because each and every one of them unlock and turns to a AMD dual core worth 1-1.5k more. And the A5 mobo so that u can upgrade to BD if u wish later on. and 4GB ram is kinda a bare minimum right now. And CX400 cuase it will deliver clean and good power so that ur system runs fine :)

Hope u like it :D Its my first post :p

Thanks for the Sempron suggestion, will keep that in mind too!

Any one knows if the Intel G series is available in Chennai yet? Has it just been launched here?

why dont you buy a nettop for around 10k?

you have two machines, and the net top will suffice for the usage pattern you have described

space saving, ergonomic, power savings

go green dude!

Both my mum and dad are touching 50..

They complain about the font size even on my 24" monitor.. so you can imagine them on a nettop!

I know I could connect the nettop to a bigger monitor, but would rather have a desktop..

babhishek said:
what has font size to do with size of a cabinet?

I meant nettops = small screens.. more scrolling when it comes to spread sheets and surfing..

Anyway, I got the following stuff :)

Intel G620

Gigabyte H61M-D2-B3

4 GB Corsair Ram

Samsung Dvd drive

WD Blue 500Gb

Zebronics Classic Case

Zebronics Gold PSU

Creative A350 Speakers

Shall assemble it tomorrow :)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Back