Suggestions for maintaing good ratio

Hi guys,

This mite be a noob query but some input would be appreciated. I have a bsnl home 1350 plan thats 512 kbps unlimited dl plan.

I use my laptop as dl machine, current utorrent statistics show 400 GB downloaded and 401 GB Uploaded. I normally get 50 to 60 kB/s speeds max so i avoid seeding too many torrents when i dload a large torrent (10 GB +).

I read somewhere that it is difficult to maintain good ratio if you have a slowish connection, is that true, how can i maintain a good ratio.

Normally once I'm done with a torrent i start seeding all other torrents. Is there anything else i can do. thanks for your input

I think the download and upload speed are two independent things, not related to each other...

on my BSNL 750 UL plan, i get download speed of 30KB/s and simultaneously the upload speed is about 20 - 22 kb/s

so you don't need to stop seeding in order to download the file..

i don't think about the ratio too much and keep on seeding the torrent....forever and ever (or until my comp needs a format)

Even when you are downloading a part of completed file is continuously being uploaded...But make sure to use appropriate upload speeds so that your download doesn't get affected:p

like they said above me, you download and upload speeds are independent of each other and you need not stop uploading while you are downloading.

Few Suggestions for maintaining good ratios -

~ Never let your upload speed go more than 80% of your maximum bandwidth. For example, if your upload speed is, say 50KB/s, then make sure you never set it to more than 40KB/s. I have been uploading at 20KB/s for more than a year now. My ratios are more than good.

~ Just seed! Let your torrents seed for as long as you can allow them to. Maybe you can even leave your computer on for the night to seed as much as you can.

~ Utilize seedbonus where ever applicable. At one tracker, I get a lot of seedbonus for just keeping their torrents seeded, even when no one is actually downloading anything. All that seedbonus can be exchanged for upload credit.

~ Freeleech torrents - most trackers have them, and they are very good for boosting your ratio. Initially, you may get a popular freeleech torrent and let it seed. Build up a buffer and then download whatever you want.

~ Donate to the tracker, get VIP status, and enjoy the benefits. No ratio limits!

~ Get a seedbox. That should help you boost your ratios at any tracker.

Have fun!

phoenix844884 said:
Few Suggestions for maintaining good ratios -

~ Never let your upload speed go more than 80% of your maximum bandwidth. For example, if your upload speed is, say 50KB/s, then make sure you never set it to more than 40KB/s. I have been uploading at 20KB/s for more than a year now. My ratios are more than good.

any particular reasons for this?

moshel said:
any particular reasons for this?

basically because the torrent client needs to communicate with the tracker and update the stats. if you max out your bandwidth by uploading, then incorrect stats may be reported and the status of your torrent may not be updated. Downloading has no effect like that, because it is inbound traffic.

First sugestion: Get a seedbox

Second Suggestion: Join a ratio free tracker. Download there and cross seed at your tough to seed tracker till you have a good ratio. Even ratio free trackers will give you good speeds and max speed for your connection (60kB/s)

Back