Storage Solutions Synology DS420j

@prime @vivek.krishnan

Lack of docker support is a big con with all synology "J" models & ram is also fixed at 1gb. @aasimenator has some good mini pc options with similar dimensions as synology 2 bay models & for 14-15k I think you may get a 6th/7th/8th gen intel processor much more powerful than this realtek one along with 4gb ram & much more flexibility to run any OS you want. Of course if just looking to use for basic functions like home server/DLNA server then 420J is good option.

@prime @vivek.krishnan

Lack of docker support is a big con with all synology "J" models & ram is also fixed at 1gb. @aasimenator has some good mini pc options with similar dimensions as synology 2 bay models & for 14-15k I think you may get a 6th/7th/8th gen intel processor much more powerful than this realtek one along with 4gb ram & much more flexibility to run any OS you want. Of course if just looking to use for basic functions like home server/DLNA server then 420J is good option.

My purpose is very basic.

1. Download content on my PC.
2. Copy personal/downloaded media files to NAS.
3. Play them on large screen TV (Nvidia Shield through Kodi over Gigabit LAN)

I think it will do it nicely.

I have been using a Netgear RN10400 which is also basic but never faced any problem.

My usage doesn't require me to keep my NAS switched ON 24/7.

Last edited:
Got mine, its a Feb 2022 piece, but for 12K I think its pretty good.
Actually, it's the second time this is on sale on FK for the same price. For usage as a low power 24x7 Nas / File Server, this is excellent (the fantastic UI is their selling point after all). Some of the native Synology apps should also work. If looking for transcoding or virtualization or any other heavier use cases, then look elsewhere.

I have been using a Netgear RN10400 which is also basic but never faced any problem.

Yes then it will work just fine as it is just basic usage as a filer server/DLNA server.
Dang! You are one lucky dwag, 5800x for 12k is a steal. Was it only a single unit they were selling?

My 5600 run at around ~79 during gaming on stock cooler.

I got my 5600 for ~10kish.
Yes at that price it was a steal but only for those who are planning on building a new system or upgrading from ryzen 2600/3600, for someone already using 5600 it is not that big of a difference.

@prime @vivek.krishnan

Any examples of similar dimensions 2-4 bay model that one can buy with a powerful processor?

Also it is nice to keep a simple low power NAS to just serve files reliabily and then have a cheap mini PC(s) running your stateless docker containers reading from the NAS.

@prime @vivek.krishnan

Docker is now supported on some J models, specifically 420J. I am using it.

It works great for this.

Any examples of similar dimensions 2-4 bay model that one can buy with a powerful processor?
DS "+" versions are the ones with much better hardware but also much more costly, DS224+ costs around 34k. You are much better off with mini pc sold by @aasimenator here (check his thread in dealer's paradise section) which can be equipped with much better hardware & flexibility to install anything you want.

Also it is nice to keep a simple low power NAS to just serve files reliabily and then have a cheap mini PC(s) running your stateless docker containers reading from the NAS.
Yes that is also a good option but J version models will struggle with performance even while just serving files if more than 3-4 users simultaneously connect but for 2-3 persons it is indeed a good option when used this way.

Yes that is also a good option but J version models will struggle with performance even while just serving files if more than 3-4 users simultaneously connect but for 2-3 persons it is indeed a good option when used this way.
I don't think that is correct. There is not much CPU power required to serve files. It will be limited by the hard drive speed for the most part which is the same for J or + models.

Docker is now supported on some J models, specifically 420J. I am using it.
Are you sure? is there any link on synology website to refer like some change note for latest dsm?

I too upgraded from 3200g, so if I had a hunch about this deal I would have grabbed it but given the TDP and heat I think I am better off with 5600. Need to buy a better cooler though.
Unless you have a graphics card limited by 5600 or you specifically need 8 cores for certain tasks the 5600 will do just fine.

I don't think that is correct. There is not much CPU power required to serve files. It will be limited by the hard drive speed for the most part which is the same for J or + models.
Check here:

Are you sure? is there any link on synology website to refer like some change note for latest dsm?

Unless you have a graphics card limited by 5600 or you specifically need 8 cores for certain tasks the 5600 will do just fine.

Check here:
Yes. I am using it. I have pihole in docker.

Your link shows that it is limited by disk speed.

Nice, I thought they didn't support docker. Did you set aside 512MB for the pihole from the available 1GB Ram in the NAS itself?

I was actually considering the DS418 by paying an extra 6-7k over the DS420j. I read that it has an extra GB of RAM and supports BTRFS, better design etc but with the same cpu. I'm not sure how important BTRFS is but read a lot on reddit where people kept recommending to go for a Synology NAS with BTRFS.

Which DSM version are you using?

You seem to be right but it is just that their 2nd graph where total cpu usage spikes above 80% for small durations they have this "I/O wait" category which got me confused.
I'm not sure how important BTRFS is but read a lot on reddit where people kept recommending to go for a Synology NAS with BTRFS.
For a typical person BTRFS is not that better than EXT4 & might even be less desirable because of its more complex nature & feature set. Ppl on reddit are not your typical users so they prefer BTRFS but even there the more advanced users consider ZFS even better.

@prime @vivek.krishnan

Several things you need to understand

Synology is expensive - the performance what you are getting at XYZ price is what you are paying for the excellent webUI

Docker is not something that the average user wants - he just wants something that works out of the box

the mini PCs that are being sold by aasim are not having 4 bay HDD support.

the performance user who wants power sipping boxes who knows what he is getting will not buy this OR the even any entry level synology - he would rather pickup the excellent rpi4 compute board with SATA expansion for nearly the same amount (i have it) OR opt for a RPI4/5 4G/8G model. OR the ROCK5 model I had my eye on, but have let it go for now.

the performance use who does not care about power will choose a better platform than the mini PCs - i dont understand why you would stuff a desktop CPU in that cramped space when a proper chassis is far better choice.

Both of the above will support docker well, I am running several docker devices on pi4s

other even 2 bay boxes are expensive in comparison

---------

With that and maybe others can add their points to the above, but here is my use case

This is going to purely be a device which will connect to another mini PC via iscsi (or smb/nfs mounts - if iscsi is slow) for data. Mainly for plex or so. No one will directly be accessing/using the device except me. For this usecase its brilliant and power sipping.
Actually, it's the second time this is on sale on FK for the same price. For usage as a low power 24x7 Nas / File Server, this is excellent (the fantastic UI is their selling point after all). Some of the native Synology apps should also work. If looking for transcoding or virtualization or any other heavier use cases, then look elsewhere.

Thats news to me. But I dont follow deals that much, so slipped maybe.

And agree to your points. This is purely a file server. Nothing more.

At this price point from a branded vendor - NO

If you want to make your own, try getting a Dell T20 - you should be able to snag it for just about 15-17Kish - a 4th gen Xeon which should be able to do what you want and has 4 HDD bays inside. Cooling is an issue however.

Your second point is exactly how I plan to use this. Moving away from my Helios4's to this.

replies to your DMs

Hey,

I was considering buying the NAS too for 12k ish. Have you gotten a chance to use it, check it's performance etc?

Using it along with jellyfin running on a proxmox I believe won't have any issues and it'll work smoothly? Plan is to save movies / TV shows as well as some photos videos for storage.

Thanks,
Nithin

Am using it, but you need to accept it for what you are paying. Synology is selling its NAS for the fantastic webUI and apps, not for the hardware.

For testing, I have dumped some videos and testing plex, working fine for my use cases

If you have a machine running PVE, why dont you look at xpenology

Also do you think the lack of BTRFS could be a deal breaker?

No. At this price point, I dont see it as a big deal. I also enabled it on my Pi4 OMV NAS and unRAID for testing, but it had its quirks with the Pi. Mainly with kernel modules.

I would use btrfs when I bring my 100TB HDD storage online, kept on hiatus due to lack of time.

Understand who needs btrfs and no need to go with fancy stuff unless you realize the benefits.
DS "+" versions are the ones with much better hardware but also much more costly, DS224+ costs around 34k. You are much better off with mini pc sold by @aasimenator here (check his thread in dealer's paradise section) which can be equipped with much better hardware & flexibility to install anything you want.

And you are suggesting something which does not have HDD bays!
For a typical person BTRFS is not that better than EXT4 & might even be less desirable because of its more complex nature & feature set. Ppl on reddit are not your typical users so they prefer BTRFS but even there the more advanced users consider ZFS even better.

For most usecases BTRFS is not needed. People on the internet go crazy over small things.

For example, I am going to import 14gen mini PC because of the SOC tiling feature and AV1 support. Added NPU is a bonus if i need it. But many feel AV1 will take time to come, but I see the reduction in file size + being future proofing. else, I can just slap a 11th gen NUC (have it) and use it instead for plex.

Last edited:
Synology is expensive - the performance what you are getting at XYZ price is what you are paying for the excellent webUI
Agree.

Docker is not something that the average user wants - he just wants something that works out of the box
Agree but I was under the impression that nowadays there are 2-3 clicks "installers" for many dockers nowadays for such users.

the mini PCs that are being sold by aasim are not having 4 bay HDD support.
Yes that's the main con but then a typical avg user nowadays hardly use even 1 hdd as evident in lack of 3.5" hdd bays in pc cabinets nowadays. In my opinion at least 1 bay need to have a 2.5" ssd there anyway for running the DSM smoothly.

the performance use who does not care about power will choose a better platform than the mini PCs - i dont understand why you would stuff a desktop CPU in that cramped space when a proper chassis is far better choice.
When I suggested those mini PC I had something like celeron/pentium gold in mind or maybe an i3 T version.

other even 2 bay boxes are expensive in comparison
Yes the 12k price is the biggest plus point of this deal.

For example, I am going to import 14gen mini PC because of the SOC tiling feature and AV1 support. Added NPU is a bonus if i need it. But many feel AV1 will take time to come, but I see the reduction in file size + being future proofing. else, I can just slap a 11th gen NUC (have it) and use it instead for plex.
This also depends on from where you are getting your media from internet because AV1 isn't yet accepted by major release groups/places & by the time it is accepted by them I think we will have much better vfm options for AV1 decoding by then.

P.S. Btw you bought one more, how many hdd you have/need as a file server :)

This is going to purely be a device which will connect to another mini PC via iscsi (or smb/nfs mounts - if iscsi is slow) for data. Mainly for plex or so. No one will directly be accessing/using the device except me. For this usecase its brilliant and power sipping.
So can i connect this to my i3 8th gen NUC and use Plex . Transcode using i3 and this is only data DUMP ?
So can i connect this to my i3 8th gen NUC and use Plex . Transcode using i3 and this is only data DUMP ?
I also have a Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G +Gigabyte AMD B450 I AORUS PRO WiFi . Will upgrade the Processor if something comes up , but dont want to add Graphics card as already have a PS4 for the limited gaming . Might shift on this at a later stage if above setup works . This has only ( 8x2 )16GB which i want to upgrade 16GB x 2 as has only 2 RAM slots

Last edited:
Just fyi, every nas is basically a file server/external storage at its core so typically anything that can be done with an external drive (as source or destination) can be done with a nas.
So still my query - can i use this only for dumping data and utilize one of the PC for Plex transcoding or any other heavy duty stuff and docker ?
Well bit the bullet , picked up

Last edited:
So still my query - can i use this only for dumping data and utilize one of the PC for Plex transcoding or any other heavy duty stuff and docker ?
Well bit the bullet , picked up
Yes you can use any nas as an external drive destination to dump data as well as use it as source for dumped data. Someone here commented that even docker support has been enabled in some recent update but given its low power hardware & 1GB fixed ram it might not be a good option to run dockers. For plex transcoding it mainly depends on capabilities of processor in question so just check this faq.

Ryzen 5 pro 4650G has a passmark score of 16212 while i3-8100 @ 3.6GHz has a passmark score of 6122.

Yes you can use any nas as an external drive destination to dump data as well as use it as source for dumped data. Someone here commented that even docker support has been enabled in some recent update but given its low power hardware & 1GB fixed ram it might not be a good option to run dockers. For plex transcoding it mainly depends on capabilities of processor in question so just check this faq.

Ryzen 5 pro 4650G has a passmark score of 16212 while i3-8100 @ 3.6GHz has a passmark score of 6122.
4K HDR (50Mbps, 10-bit HEVC) file: 17000 PassMark score (being transcoded to 10Mbps 1080p)
Has to be Ryzen 5 pro 4650G which i will upgrade later

For plex transcoding it mainly depends on capabilities of processor in question so just check this faq
I would strongly suggest Jellyfin in this use case. Use any 7th gen or newer intel processor, and you have quicksync doing all the heavy lifting. Audio is still transcoded by the CPU, but I have not had one issue so far. Running i3 8100 and 8500T.

Back