TCS staff churn

irrespective of whats happening now, you should not join TCS or the likes.
That's the best placement my college can offer. Most of the students in my college have no offers yet & would die for one from TCS. This is the sorry state of 3rd tier engg. colleges in the country. I do have till end of this year to get a better job or higher education.

@Lord Nemesis Do you have first hand experience with TCS or a judging by how your (definitely better) company works?
I believe that this has less to do with performance but with paying higher salaries to experienced employees while freshers would do the same work at a lower cost. They have a target of 55,000 new jobs for freshers while they are firing experience holders!

Don't.. You don't know how arrogant HR @ TCS is. They think they are doing you a a favour by offering you a job and they definitely won't care about firing either. Can you believe they had the nerve to call a guy saying that package is no object despite him telling them before hand that they might not be able to afford him and then went ahead offered him half the package that he was already getting and telling him that since TCS is such a world class company, he should just forget everything and take up the offer.
Or telling the people to join the TCS with almost no hike in salary since TCS is such a world class company, he should just forget everything and take up the offer LOL

That's the best placement my college can offer. Most of the students in my college have no offers yet & would die for one from TCS. This is the sorry state of 3rd tier engg. colleges in the country. I do have till end of this year to get a better job or higher education.

@Lord Nemesis Do you have first hand experience with TCS or a judging by how your (definitely better) company works?
I believe that this has less to do with performance but with paying higher salaries to experienced employees while freshers would do the same work at a lower cost. They have a target of 55,000 new jobs for freshers while they are firing experience holders!

Try AMCAT/ e-litmus/ freshersworld, if your looking for alternate offers, if you make it! Juggle with the offer you have from TCS!

What I have said is based on experience of my classmates who got placed in TCS and other friends and colleagues who worked there at some point of time. As far as I am concerned, when I was still in college, I made a blacklist of companies for myself that I vowed I would never ever join even if it meant that I would be jobless. Most companies which imposed any sort of dress codes and other nonsensical rules figured on that list. TCS was also on that list and I didn't bother attending their campus drive. I did get another offer, so I didn't have to go out jobless from the campus.

One of my classmates who got an offer in TCS also got an off campus offer from Tata Elixsi, but for a slightly lower package. I convinced him to go for Tata Elxsi since the work is much better and he was thankful for it since he was able to get score an offer from Adobe. Another class mate who did join was made to do data entry work in excel sheets for close to an year before he left in frustration. In his own words, he was scarred for life with his experience at TCS.

^these companies when they came for campus placement, I didn't even sit for placements (my blacklist, so far): TCS, Infosys, Wipro, MindTree, Cognizant.

best decision :D

Try AMCAT/ e-litmus/ freshersworld, if your looking for alternate offers, if you make it! Juggle with the offer you have from TCS!
Amcat is crap. Already got about 98-99% in all sections, no calls yet. Will appear for e-litmus.
I am actually looking forward to GATE & get admissions into M.TECH at a good college. If everything fails, TCS would be still there (for couple of years).
@Lord Nemesis @avi Which college ?

Also this exercise is going to hurt employee loyalty. Those who survive will also look elsewhere.

IIIT-A during its initial years when there weren't that many campus hiring drives. Mine was the first M.Tech batch out of IIIT-A. In any case, my black list was prepared when I was in the 3rd year of my B.Tech which was at a private Engg college and we had only one campus visit there.

Also this exercise is going to hurt employee loyalty. Those who survive will also look elsewhere.

As I said before, loyalty has no meaning here. The only loyalty that counts is loyalty towards your work responsibilities because that is what the company is paying you for. Do you seriously think that if there weren't any layoffs and any of these whining people get an offer from another company for twice or trice the salary, will they show their "loyalty" by choosing to remain with TCS?

Don't.. You don't know how arrogant HR @ TCS is. They think they are doing you a a favour by offering you a job and they definitely won't care about firing either. Can you believe they had the nerve to call a guy saying that package is no object despite him telling them before hand that they might not be able to afford him and then went ahead offered him half the package that he was already getting and telling him that since TCS is such a world class company, he should just forget everything and take up the offer.
Wouldn't that be generalising the whole TCS HR a bit? Not that I have any love lost for them but I certainly think it is difficult for a person to go a meeting room to tell another that he/she is fired. I once had to take a call on a fresher we had hired, after 1 year. While I was pretty clear on objectives to be met; they did not perform well. When my manager said I had to tell them, I had a very difficult time. Finally it was overruled as the HR dint want to work for a backfill request.

Still I heard similar stories about IBM, Wipro too. So I guess most service company HRs are like that.

@pauldmps - My 2 cents on the TCS offer. If you have a pressing financial concern, then it is at least a job. Something better than nothing. Still keep trying for other openings. I for one, did not have any offers from campus (non CS background). Got an offer for testing in gaming company. Just the Monday I was about to join, I got another offer effectively doubling my starting package. Worked there for 5 yrs.

Last edited:
^^ Well, then let me generalize HR as a whole. They are in HR because they are trained for these kind of situations. They are trained and expected to not involve themselves in a personal manner. They are trained to do their work without any remorse. Otherwise, they are not fit to be in their position. Ever hear about a bunch of people notified about being fired though a group mail or a calling a meeting and telling that everyone in that meeting room has been fired. That is HR sensitivity for you. HR in some companies tend to be much worse than others and show a lot of attitude. That is what I was talking about.

And yeah, IBM and Wipro aren't any better. Their HR people are usually behave much worse than TCS. My sis refused to go through with second round of interviews at IBM after being shortlisted because of the attitude they were showing other candidates.

@pauldmps - My 2 cents on the TCS offer. If you have a pressing financial concern, then it is at least a job. Something better than nothing. Still keep trying for other openings. I for one, did not have any offers from campus (non CS background). Got an offer for testing in gaming company. Just the Monday I was about to join, I got another offer effectively doubling my starting package. Worked there for 5 yrs.
I do not have immediate financial concerns. I feel that I need to get higher education. If I am not able to get into MTech at a good college, I'll try some other companies, then join TCS if everything else fails. TCS is not that bad for gaining experience (or if you are eyeing for that H1B).
Some local engineering college in North K'taka, you probably wouldn't have heard its name.

and yes, do consider GATE.
Glad to see others like me succeed. I'm in full prep now for GATE. Wish me luck :)

All the best! But do MTech ONLY from IISc, IIT and IIIT-H. Don't know about other IIITs, but rest all are equally bad.

Back