TES V: Skyrim - Discussion Thread

^It's way too addictive. There are just so many things to do. Must also be tempting to do it all over again with a new character type eh?
@Gannu: You can also parry with a two handed weapon though its obviously not as effective as the shield.

Also, I think you can also parry with a single handed weapon if your offhand is free. Not much point to that though as you might as well use a shield. Shields are awesome once you unlock the shield bash perk.

By parry do you mean, a small knock to the opponent with a drain in the stamina? That is pretty useless. I wanted a proper roll. :(

@Dorks: No man. Was in the college back then and lacked proper sources. This is my first TES title.

That's one of my two major gripes with this game. The combat could have been a little more solid. They could have taken some cues from Witcher. Same problems with sneak. Wished it was more like the Thief series.

The other major problem is the low amounts of gold most merchants have. By the time you hit level 35 you have way too much to sell. It's too annoying to fast travel and back.

^Exactly what I felt. Merchants have too little gold.

Did anyone notice the aurora borealis in the sky at night? Absolutely stunning! For a moment I paused the game and was staring at my display. :p

Some high-res links - 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5,

kvikram said:
Belethor has only 750 gold, and you need to level up Speech up to about 50 if you want to invest in any stores. :( Is there a richer merchant around?

You can utilize these dragon scales and bones for skill training esp the ones which you dont use but are necessary. Like in my case it was alchemy, i trained from Babette for 5 levels of alchemy per game level, after which she had lots of gold which I got back by selling her the dragon parts.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Gannu said:
^Exactly what I felt. Merchants have too little gold.

Did anyone notice the aurora borealis in the sky at night? Absolutely stunning! For a moment I paused the game and was staring at my display. :p

Some high-res links - 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5,

Have you been to Blackreach, its simply awesome with the majestic Dwemer ruins and the glowing mushroom. I spent almost 6 to 7 hours at a stretch exploring it.

I d advise not to collect the dragon bones and scales reasons:

1. its inferior to deadric armor

2. does not look as cool as deadric armor

3. dragon plates and scales can bring in gold

4. deadric armor an be easily forged in the Atronach forge ( Midden , College of Winterhold) cheaply

Gannu said:
Pay the bounty to the guard? Stole a horse from Whiterun yesterday and was caught the moment I stepped back. Paid 50 coin and waived the bounty off.

Tall daemons as in giants? Shoot arrows from a rock or level up and fight them one by one or transform into a werewolf and fight them.
Yeah took the horse seems paying off bounty is only option i thought there could be bribe or something

dinjo said:
Yeah took the horse seems paying off bounty is only option i thought there could be bribe or something

You can persuade him I suppose but he wont budge. You will be taken to prison otherwise.

@flash23: Not been to Blackreach yet. :p

And Flipkart delivers !!

Skyrim.jpg

I blew away my entire earmark for the Christmas sale on Steam on this one game, but it's more than worth it :D

nanoneo said:
The other major problem is the low amounts of gold most merchants have. By the time you hit level 35 you have way too much to sell. It's too annoying to fast travel and back.

An easier way without fast travelling is just to wait at the same spot for 24 hours. Takes less time than fast travel.

Gannu said:
Haven't tried the mods. Will do that when I find some time. All I think of since yesterday is to hurry home and fire up the game ASAP! Had to watch Dexter's finale and wasted sometime until 9 yesterday. :p

Brother, I strongly recommend you install a few. Installing them is as easy as copy pasting and it takes less than 10 seconds to apply a mod. The reason I am recommending Mods is because some of the mods are not just to make your game look pretty but are extremely useful in gameplay. Some of the useful mods that I recommend are:

1. Glowing Ore Veins 300 : Glowing Ore Veins 300 at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community

If you intend to improve your weapons/armour and level your smithing to 100, you are going to need a lot of ignots. Ignots although available for sale are expensive specially when you are on a lower level. This mod will basically make the ore veins glow so that you never miss an ore vein on your travels. Without this mod, identifying an ore vein is extremely hard. Infact I went 30 hours into the game before even realizing that there were ore veins through which you can make ignots.

2. 4GB Skyrim Mod : 4GB Skyrim at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community

This mod makes skyrim use all your Ram instead of the default 2 GB resulting in a smoother experience.

3. Enhanced Night Skyrim Mod : Enhanced Night Skyrim at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community

The sky at night will look so beautiful that at times you would just want to stop and stare at it.

4. Lockpick Pro : KenMOD - Lockpick Pro - Cheat at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community

This is a kind of a cheat but I found it extremely useful. It makes the annoying process of unlocking locks a breeze. I do not consider it as a cheat because unlocking chests are just a waste of time and not much of a challenge. This way, you also don't need to level up your lockpicking skills.

5. Time on Loading Screen : KenMOD - Time on loading screen at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community

A very small mod but very useful during those long night sessions when loose countless hours without even realizing. Helps in making me remember, that its time to sleep. :p

6. Better Sorting : Better Sorting at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community

As you level up. your inventory can get super messed up. This mod sorts the inventory in a much better way.

7. QD Inventory : QD Inventory at Skyrim Nexus - Skyrim Mods and community

A Interface mod, that displays the Inventory in a table, with weight, value and Armor/Damage added to it. Extremely helpful.

These are some of the mods which would help you a great deal during your gameplay. There are some awesome graphic mods too which enhance an already beautiful game. Do try them. :)

Gannu said:
@jecelecter: fcuking awesome man! Respect. The map looks huge and sweet! Congrats.

The Collectors edition comes with a "Cloth Map", an awesome looking dragon statue and an artbook. I would have bought and framed the map it if it was available in India and I had the moolah. :p

426677-1316787574.jpg

Gannu said:
@jecelecter: fcuking awesome man! Respect. The map looks huge and sweet! Congrats.

Thanks !! Now to deface my wall :D

The collector's edition is awesome, but too expensive :(

@Bluffy : Thanks for the mod list, time to get the most out of Skyrim....

Had some progress yesterday (slept at 2 lol) but still haven't ventured into the main quests as yet. In-game stats say that only 4 main quests have been completed. :p

Got meself a new partner and load-carrier - Benor, after winning a brawl against him and this guy is insane! He goes completely berserk against the opponents. Slayed 2 dragons and a blood dragon but missed the world wall where it resides. When I beat this dragon somewhere (don't remember the location) and just when I was about to approach the world-wall to absorb the shout, a dragon-priest was spawned - Krosis! This thing owned me left, right and center for almost 20 minutes! Had to try at least a dozen times to beat this creature. To make matters worse, my partner had this staff which spawns the Dremora Caitiff with a greatsword which could fight for our side but the priest instantly converts him against us. Finally, running around in circles with the healing power and some arrows took down Krosis. It was the hardest battle in the game by far!

Almost 18 hours spent, leveled up to 19+, two-handed skill at 68, heavy armor at 54 - progress is steady and smooth. :D

I happened to encounter a strange bug in the quest - The Forsworn Conspiracy at Markarth. This happens at the final stages when I am tasked with recovering evidences from 2 chaps. When I head to the treasury to meet the last guy, an ambush breaks out and I can't get the evidence from this guy which is essentially a journal. Even sneaking is of no help as I can't steal it from him - the moment I try to grab the journal he notices it and draws his sword. I had no potion of invisibility at that time so couldn't do much. Anyone here who was able complete this quest? I think this quest can be safely skipped? A Google search reveals the quest had a lot of glitches!

@krugur: got hold of 2 unusual gems and I am asked to take it to some appraiser. Cut down the surprises please. :p What is in store?

Damn i think its coz u are a werewolf now ... else u will slowly become a blood vampire :) ... life leach ;) ... only sad part was people start attacking u if they see u :(

krugur said:
Damn i think its coz u are a werewolf now ... else u will slowly become a blood vampire :) ... life leach ;) ... only sad part was people start attacking u if they see u :(

Ah so being a werewolf, that unusual gem bears no effect eh? But a side quest has come up asking me to take it to some appraiser at the SE corner of the map. Will do it later.

Crap, I want the weekend to come soon! :mad:

BTW ... Have you guys updated your game? The first patch released was horrible and hence I did not apply it. How is the second patch? Is it worthwhile to install? I don't want to mess up my 90 hour long progress.

And the IGN 2011 PC Game of the year is ........... wait for it ...... :D

Back