the best modeling software for noobies and some tutorials to go with it :D

SketchUp is really really simple and easy to learn.

However, I still recommend you get 3Ds Max and read the modelling tutorials in its Help file.

Also, Terragen for Landscape modelling and rendering.

It all depends on what you are comfortable with. Ive used Maya, 3ds Max, XSi(now Autodesk Softimage), Zbrush, Vue, MudBox and a little bit of Rhino.

If you are a beginner id suggest you try 3ds or Maya. The user interface takes a little getting used to. But the tools are quite easy to use and understand. The flexibility of both these softwares is pretty good.

Some might argue that max is better than maya. Etc. All that depends on what you start with. im comfortable with Maya cause i started out with that. Some people would say otherwise.

3ds for modeling is slightly less complicated as all your tools are located in one box rather than 10 submenus in maya, apart from that they are pretty much the same in the modeling area.

Zbrush is brilliant in extracting Dmaps and NMaps and can be used mainly as a sculpting tool to better your model as 3ds and maya cannot handle polys over 2 lac effectively. Zbrush on the other hand can handle millions of polys.

SoMxNemesis said:
It all depends on what you are comfortable with. Ive used Maya, 3ds Max, XSi(now Autodesk Softimage), Zbrush, Vue, MudBox and a little bit of Rhino.

If you are a beginner id suggest you try 3ds or Maya. The user interface takes a little getting used to. But the tools are quite easy to use and understand. The flexibility of both these softwares is pretty good.

Some might argue that max is better than maya. Etc. All that depends on what you start with. im comfortable with Maya cause i started out with that. Some people would say otherwise.

3ds for modeling is slightly less complicated as all your tools are located in one box rather than 10 submenus in maya, apart from that they are pretty much the same in the modeling area.

Zbrush is brilliant in extracting Dmaps and NMaps and can be used mainly as a sculpting tool to better your model as 3ds and maya cannot handle polys over 2 lac effectively. Zbrush on the other hand can handle millions of polys.
polys?? atleast let him master splines first.. :p

SoMxNemesis said:

thanks for your insight dude and also to others thatnks for your suggestion

i have 0 experience in 3d modeling i wanna know if i can learn how to do it by looking at tutorials ? is there any lynda.com tutorials availlable for it ?

yeah i have used sketch up fun to pplay around with :D

oh i remeber way back there was this tutorial in chip how to model a ball and make them fall on a plane surface and bounce like reall balls i did with a software which utilizes havoc you assign gravity wieght and stuff

If u are just beginning, with zilch idea of 3d, then go with Cinema 4d, one of the most impressive and easiest 3D package you can learn by yourself in a short time. And one of the most useful perks is that u can integrate it easily with AE4.

3Ds Max is really good if u are into inorganic/architectural modeling it has a relatively easier learning curve but if u dont know whats the diff between quads and tris in a model its better to get started with something simple.

Maya is really advanced, if u are into facial animation, organic/fluid modeling and heavy particle system creation then u can go into maya, but as i said its really hardcore. but that doesnt mean you cant get started with it. infact my i broke my cherry with maya (oh god that came out wrong) anyway, its a make or break thing with maya, u may like it instantly or u will be frustrated by it. i woundt say its unforgiving but its pretty much closer to that.

Zbrush lies in an entirely different paradigm, its 2.5D to be exact so if u want to learn modeling as a whole first start with a traditional 3D software then u can propagate yourself to sub-d modeling which zbrush/mudbox deals with.

But if u are really serious about going into 3d, no matter what software you choose this is most likely the time scale, 1-2 year u are a beginner, 2-5 u will be an intermediate, more than that u will need all the experience you need to be a successful expert, given that u are keeping urself updated with the software. so choose whats ok with you and give it hell.

memnom said:
If u are just beginning, with zilch idea of 3d, then go with Cinema 4d, one of the most impressive and easiest 3D package you can learn by yourself in a short time. And one of the most useful perks is that u can integrate it easily with AE4.

3Ds Max is really good if u are into inorganic/architectural modeling it has a relatively easier learning curve but if u dont know whats the diff between quads and tris in a model its better to get started with something simple.

Maya is really advanced, if u are into facial animation, organic/fluid modeling and heavy particle system creation then u can go into maya, but as i said its really hardcore. but that doesnt mean you cant get started with it. infact my i broke my cherry with maya (oh god that came out wrong) anyway, its a make or break thing with maya, u may like it instantly or u will be frustrated by it. i woundt say its unforgiving but its pretty much closer to that.

Zbrush lies in an entirely different paradigm, its 2.5D to be exact so if u want to learn modeling as a whole first start with a traditional 3D software then u can propagate yourself to sub-d modeling which zbrush/mudbox deals with.

But if u are really serious about going into 3d, no matter what software you choose this is most likely the time scale, 1-2 year u are a beginner, 2-5 u will be an intermediate, more than that u will need all the experience you need to be a successful expert, given that u are keeping urself updated with the software. so choose whats ok with you and give it hell.
I was planning to give out a further explanation.. but you put it out there anyway :p

Memnom put it out there perfectly. +1 to that advice.

Btw if you wanna be amazed, check out SoftImage FaceRobot vids for motion capture, they are :O
Of course proprietary stuff is better but they are just simply awesome for a commercial pipeline.

memnom said:

wow thats nice my friend is getting cinema 4d and maya so ill try out both i got the lynda.com tutorials for maya 11 essentials :D it tells about the ui and its function lotsa essential stuff so ill b doing that :D

Lynda is good for adobe products. If you want decent Maya Tutorials i'd suggest Digital Tutors. Cinema 4d is awesome. Try their BodyPaint3d, thats pretty awesome too.

A bit late,

But the tutorials in the help file of 3DS Max are really really good. Worth a look at ... :)

Back