Car & Bike The Hire (BMW films)

Nikhil

Skilled
Mar 29, 2005
www.techenclave.com
I know most of you must have seen it. So have I (I downloaded all 8 movies when I was on Dial up. Took me the better part of 6 months).

Anyway, I was browsing through wikipedia and found this article.

Has some really nice info which I didnt know before and since I am such a big fan of the movies, I found it really interesting.

The Hire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those who havent watched it, go here and download the torrent and download the movies asap !!

BMW Films - The Hire - Season 1 & Season 2 : Movies > Automotive/Cars - Mininova

or the 7 GB DVD 9 BMW FILMS - THE HIRE DVD9 eng sub : Movies > DVD / Film Extras - Mininova

If you ask me, watch the movies in tthis order.

The Follow (most boring)

Powder Keg (didnt really like it )

Ticker (chase sequence is damn cool)

The Devil (James Brown is awesome. so is Gary Oldman !!)

Hostage ( Not that great actually)

Ambush(the first movie I downloaded and saw. It has a special place in my heart only because of that. And of course, the cinematography is brilliant)

chosen ( amazing car chase again)

Star (starring Madonna and directed by Guy Ritchie. The BEST movie in the series. Pretty funny as well !!)

After the series began, BMW saw their 2001 sales numbers go up 12% from last year and the movies were viewed over 11 million times in four months. 2 million people registered with the website and a large majority of users, registered to the site, sent film links to their friends and family causing the site to go viral and sales to skyrocket.

The films proved to be so popular, BMW ended up producing a free DVD for customers who visited select BMW dealerships.Nonetheless, the DVD was highly sought on Internet forums as the September issue of Vanity Fair quickly vanished from shelves and became a rare find. BMW also pulled off a major coup when the movies were actually reviewed by Time Magazine and The New York Times who praised BMW for creating entertaining content for "discerning movie watchers".

On October 21st, 2005, BMW stopped distribution of "The Hire" on DVD and removed all eight films from the BMWFilms website just four years after the first film debuted. The series was abandoned, reportedly, because the project had become to expensive to afford. However, heavier factors may have played a part. VP of marketing (and the proverbial "father" of the BMW Films project), James McDowell, left BMW to become the VP of sales and marketing for BMW's "Mini USA" division. BMW also split from longtime ad partner, Fallon Worldwide which was the creative production outlet for the series and BMW's German division had attempted to become involved with the US division of the company, cutting costs.

Several companies attempted to capitalize on the success of BMW's film series. In 2002, the Nissan car company produced their own short film featuring their newly reintroduced 350Z. Titled "The Run", the movie was directed by John Bruno, a James Cameron prodigy who worked with Cameron on True Lies, The Abyss and Terminator 2: Judgment Day. The film was shown in theaters before feature films in November 2002. Nissan offered a DVD of the film for $9.95.[16] A few years later, Bombardier Recreational Products company introduced a series of short movies on the Internet which showcased their "Sea-Doo" line of personal water craft (PWC)[17] while Covad Business also constructed a campy Internet horror film based off their products called, "The Ringing". The film showcased VOIP technology, which was new at the time