The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

raksrules said:
A weird query:
Is there any way i can play farmville on facebook on my 5230. Dont pawnn be saying it is stupid game and all :p'

yea i think. but it is buggy.
skyfire browser. use this browser to play.

I'm considering buying 5233 or 5230, depending on:

1) Do 5800xm apps and games work on 5233 or 5230?
2) I have never used a nokia or a symbian phone. Whats the fuss about signing apps and 'root certificates'? What does it mean? Won't 3rd party apps install without it?

I basically want to go for a phone with large fanbase to be able to use lots of apps and games which means 5800 is a better choice but it is just too expensive compared to 5233 - double price for just gps,3g and wifi. Is it worth it? I'm not really needy of 3g, gps, wifi but they come handy sometimes, especially wifi.

MenTaLLyMenTaL said:
I'm considering buying 5233 or 5230, depending on:

1) Do 5800xm apps and games work on 5233 or 5230?
2) I have never used a nokia or a symbian phone. Whats the fuss about signing apps and 'root certificates'? What does it mean? Won't 3rd party apps install without it?

I basically want to go for a phone with large fanbase to be able to use lots of apps and games which means 5800 is a better choice but it is just too expensive compared to 5233 - double price for just gps,3g and wifi. Is it worth it? I'm not really needy of 3g, gps, wifi but they come handy sometimes, especially wifi.

Yes 5800 apps work on 5230 and 5233

Symbian is a mobile OS so when you install 3rd party apps they need to be sort of certified for the phone and that involves signing the app and cross verifying against its certificate (sort of authentication) so if you install a root certification (which means you actually hack your phone) you will be able install all 3rd part apps without signing it (i think).

@MenTaLLyMenTaL

I would prefer 5233, as its the latest offering from Nokia 5230 is the best VFM, but it got some issues like automatic restarting and all so Nokia released 5233, highly similar just without 3G and a inbuilt GPS.

Although if u want to access GPS u can always use Google Maps on 5233, not highly accurate but works!

i too got a 5233 and lovin it!

thx for the replies.

@pranut, ya google maps seem to lighten me up over the issue of missing gps :)

@raks Ok, but i read in this thread that after firmware upgrade, the root certificates or 'hacking' doesn't work. So is there a way around? And btw, if the phone needs to be 'hacked' for 3rd party apps to work, what use are those 3rd party vendors? Or does it need 'hacking' only for p*r*t*d apps?

I bought it from some other seller actually, for 170 bucks.

ATM I am using that leather look alike, flap cover for the phone. Makes it feel so boring and makes the appearance quite heavy.

This one I guess will be close to the phone's actual form factor. Will try that as well.

^^ trust me this cover saves phone from fall damage. Its very sturdy & keeps cell safe from any fall.

Just felt this is bit too tight for Nokia 5 series. what others have to say ?

pranut said:
@MenTaLLyMenTaL

I would prefer 5233, as its the latest offering from Nokia 5230 is the best VFM, but it got some issues like automatic restarting and all so Nokia released 5233, highly similar just without 3G and a inbuilt GPS.

Although if u want to access GPS u can always use Google Maps on 5233, not highly accurate but works!

i too got a 5233 and lovin it!

I have a 5230 and yes it does suffer from automatic restarting. I am frustrated because of that. Even latest FW did not solve the issue :mad::mad:

Rest i like the phone very much

Google maps uses inbuilt GPS to locate our place but constantly needs GPRS/EDGE to render the maps. I find it quite accurate and it has helped me a lot to find my way.

Rest i use garmin XT but apart from its voice navigation i really dont like it.

Praks said:
@Vasishta.Sushant

Price is just 99 Rs but Dont you think its too tight for cell ?

Is this 99 rs cover too tight?? I had got a flap leather cover but in that the cell seems almost 50% more volume so it does not fit in my trousers. I will take this if it is good cover.

@mentally mental

hey bro y dont u buy the Nokia 5530XM

its a gr8 fone and price - 10.5k with wifi and 3mp camera

its specs are like between 5230 and 5800

MenTaLLyMenTaL said:
thx for the replies.

@pranut, ya google maps seem to lighten me up over the issue of missing gps :)

@raks Ok, but i read in this thread that after firmware upgrade, the root certificates or 'hacking' doesn't work. So is there a way around? And btw, if the phone needs to be 'hacked' for 3rd party apps to work, what use are those 3rd party vendors? Or does it need 'hacking' only for p*r*t*d apps?

Hacking here just means that you don't have to 'sign' your apps. If you don't hack it, you just have to sign the apps you want to install. You can get the key and certificate files for free after which you can sign your own apps.
I'm not too sure about paid apps :p, but I believe you don't need to sign them. All free apps that I have tried for S60 never required signing, only the *ahem* ones I got were unsigned.

Srirama said:
im on stock firmware,till now have not experienced auto restarts

Thats what. Stock FW was fine, but once i updated to 12.X the issue cropped and now even after updating 20.X it is not solved. So i am living with it as of now :(

viralbug said:
Hacking here just means that you don't have to 'sign' your apps. If you don't hack it, you just have to sign the apps you want to install. You can get the key and certificate files for free after which you can sign your own apps.
I'm not too sure about paid apps :p, but I believe you don't need to sign them. All free apps that I have tried for S60 never required signing, only the *ahem* ones I got were unsigned.

@viralbug

Do you mind giving simplest possible method to sign apps ?

Praks said:
@viralbug

Do you mind giving simplest possible method to sign apps ?

i would suggest you that its better to hack your fone rather than signing each and every file u need

and after hacking your warranty wont be void also

so if u r worried that the nokia ppl will know that u have hacked ur fone than u should give them the fone after resetting

so no problems at all

here is the hacking tutorial for nokia 5230 - http://nokia5230.com/nokia-5230-hacking-tutorial/

my poll will be for HACKING :)

I wont suggest 5530, its screen is only 2.9 while others are 3.2, thats a noticeable difference!

Go with either 5800 or 5233, 5800 costs exactly double for extra 3G, GPS, and 3.2 MP camera, but i heard its picture quality is not so good.

SO all in all 5233 will be a smarter choice.....or thats what i think!

@swastikrj

Does the hack work on 5233 on latest firmware ?

@swastikrj

I will be using limited apps & only selected few so I dont mind signing them.

Can I do them on PC offline or need to always punch in IMEI number on some site & get it signed ?

@swastikrj,
Ya i am considering 5530 also. Its a nice phone albeit not as popular as the 5800 or 5233.

@pranut, Well 5530 has a smaller screen but i'm ok with it and the phone looks much better and compact. Anyway, I also think 5233 is a smart choice. Lets see what new comes to my mind that might change the decision...

Praks said:
@swastikrj
I will be using limited apps & only selected few so I dont mind signing them.

Can I do them on PC offline or need to always punch in IMEI number on some site & get it signed ?

The easiest method as suggested by swastikrj is to hack your phone. That would require only signing a file once.

If you want to sign the sis files individually, it's still easy. You have to submit your IMEI no once to obtain the cert and key files. After that you can sign any sis file offline using sissigner. Look at the first page of this thread, the steps for signing is given.

Back