The Nokia 5230 / 5233 Thread

why wud nokia roll out a replica of 5230 with just extra feature in 5235 is internal memory 320mb?. I myself bought 5230 2 months back .Is there some kinda fault in 5230 handsets ?. Mine works absolutely fine though .

5235 is for 8.5k it comes with an 8gb memory card. Also it comes with unlimited music downloqds for one year.

why pay 3k extra for not so important stuff? Go with 5233, else if u really want 3G cheap then 5235.

I would recommend 5233, as it costs low and i dont think 5235 will support the full potential of 3G.

I tried my friend's 5233. I inserted my Airtel SIM. and obtain NOP(99 Rs/- unlimited browsing wala plan) settings from airtel. All the pre installed application like facebook, myspace worked fine. then i downladed opera mini and Google maps through nokia web browser.but it didn't work. Does 3rd part App. needs Full internet plan ? Like Mobile Office.

IIRC there is a hack to access 3rd party java application by installing some cert or file.

Could anyone help me out on this ?

is anyone experiencing dwindling internal memory,i am down to 9 mb free. :(

I cleaned up cache,moved sms to memory card,all apps installed on memory card..

I even reset google maps..

How do i get it up to 20mb atleast :S

^^ All apps downloaded from Nokia is installed at phone memory. :(

@H2O - I bought 8GB Kingston for 800/- at MD Computers : )

Srirama said:
is anyone experiencing dwindling internal memory,i am down to 9 mb free. :(

I cleaned up cache,moved sms to memory card,all apps installed on memory card..
I even reset google maps..

How do i get it up to 20mb atleast :S

sabby said:
^^ All apps downloaded from Nokia is installed at phone memory. :(

I too have this memory going down problem, many complains on net also.
@sabby
If you mean apps downloaded from OVI store then you do have an option of selecting where they should get installed. Mine go directly to memory card.

TheNightwing said:
The Nokia India site does mention Integrated GPS, A-GPS receivers under 5235's specifications.

Which means it has inbuilt GPS. :)

cisco_tech said:
I tried my friend's 5233. I inserted my Airtel SIM. and obtain NOP(99 Rs/- unlimited browsing wala plan) settings from airtel. All the pre installed application like facebook, myspace worked fine. then i downladed opera mini and Google maps through nokia web browser.but it didn't work. Does 3rd part App. needs Full internet plan ? Like Mobile Office.

I am not sure about this NOP plan but i would suggest you get the Rs. 98/- per month mobile office plan with 2GB limit (dont worry you wont reach this limit anyhow easily)

i dont know how you guys getting so many issues in the phone , i am using this phone since past 5 months and till now just 2-3 times it has got stuck and i had to restart and i have done all hacking and many 3rd party applications installed on 8gb card which is 5.2gb full right now

@srirama : just check if you have installed lot of themes , uninstall those which you not using and yup if you using nokia mails for push mails , then check that also because in my case it was taking like 15 mb of phone memory , ensure all applications are on memory card ,all downloads go to memorycard ,everything go to memory card only

@raks

yup, manual installation asks for the destination. But the packages installed thru' OVI suite choose phone memory. :(

N btw, you should visit Nokia Care because I don't think auto restart is a Firmware problem rather it's a Hardware problem.

sabby said:
@raks

yup, manual installation asks for the destination. But the packages installed thru' OVI suite choose phone memory. :(

N btw, you should visit Nokia Care because I don't think auto restart is a Firmware problem rather it's a Hardware problem.

What will happen in worst case for this auto start issue ? Will they replace the phone ? Should i wipe out everything from my phone and then give them right ? I dont want them to see my messages and all personal stuff ?

Also do i need a bill to submit my phone to Nokia care. Actually i am in Pune and my bill is probably in Mumbai but i want to give the phone to a nokia care which is just 2 min walk from my home so will they accept it without bill ?

Here is a detailed thread that talks about the restarting issues and my phone's symptoms are also the same :(

Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia 5230 RESTARTING DEFECT - Nokia Support Discussions

I hope nokia changes my phone and gives me 5800 in return :p

janitha said:
I am facing problems with 5230 and Nokia PC Suite. Once the USB cable (original CA-101) is connected, the PC hangs. Other USB devices work properly. BTW when I bought the phone, next day I had backed up and upgraded software using the suite and cable. As suggested in the Nokia support site, I have tried uninstalling, cleaning using their software and re installing. Still the problem persists.

Today went to Nokia care with phone and cable. First they said there is possibility of virus and connected the phone and my own cable to their PC and found that no virus is there. The connection was proper and even the USB icon was shown on the phone. ((As mentioned earlier, when connected to my PC, the PC hangs and there is no icon on the phone) Then they removed battery and sim card and memory card and then reinserted them and said I may try them again and if not successful, to show the phone to their service centre.

@everyone.

Thanks for your replies.

Tried some things..like uninstalling apps n all,(but these were still on the memory card,mind you)

astonishingly,i have 13 mb free now ;)

Seriously buggy i say,something's wrong somewhere.

I'm still on stock firmware though :eek:hyeah:

Is this random restart thing a feature of nokia 5230 sets?

Im seriously considering not upgrading my firmware,i have experienced these random restarts too..but very few,maybe around 2 to 3 times after i bought this phone.

I reads from raksrules link,this problem has not yet been rectified in the latest firmware. :(

I don't want to make my phone unstable,by applying horrid firmware :S

So what should i do?

harryneopotter said:
try to move your msgs to your card memory as well ....

I have close to 650 messages (sent and received) in my phone and i store all of them in phone memory only. Apart from gaining more memory space any significance of moving the messages to memory card ?
Although i do take timely backups of my messages, contacts etc.

raksrules said:
What will happen in worst case for this auto start issue ? Will they replace the phone ? Should i wipe out everything from my phone and then give them right ? I dont want them to see my messages and all personal stuff ?
Also do i need a bill to submit my phone to Nokia care. Actually i am in Pune and my bill is probably in Mumbai but i want to give the phone to a nokia care which is just 2 min walk from my home so will they accept it without bill ?

Here is a detailed thread that talks about the restarting issues and my phone's symptoms are also the same :(

Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia 5230 RESTARTING DEFECT - Nokia Support Discussions

I hope nokia changes my phone and gives me 5800 in return :p
Well, if the auto restart issue persists, they should replace the phone. ( I'd prefer a 5230 for its light, less slugish UI )

I don't have any idea whether they will accept a phone w/o bill. But as you say its only 2 minutes away from you, no harm in trying. :) You can also tell them that you can bring the bill after the next weekend ( I suppose you go HOME at weekends ). And bill location doesn't matter. You can approach any Nokia care in India. :)

And for srirama's concern, my 5230 never ever restarted for once. :)

Anyone here no anything about opda is giving them the IEMI number a safe option ? I want to install these applications but not at the risk of jeopardizing my security.

At the moment I do not have a Memory Card will be getting it soon ordered from Ebay. Does using a memory card reduce battery life significantly ?

Also is installing an Antivirus important ?

Last question, it seems to me that the inbuilt facebook application does not display my notifications, is there some way to see my notifications ?

Back