The Samsung Galaxy S thread

vortex_mak

Disciple
Dec 17, 2007
Shripad, please do a review / list down points of what you thought was wrong with Galaxy S, if you have time.

btw, what happened with getting a Desire from Singapore ?

Parv

Adept
Jan 16, 2010
Bangalore
Lord Nemesis said:
Build quality is indeed pathetic for a premium device like this. They seem to have made a trade off between build quality vs thickness and weight. Its somewhat better than what I had expected before I went for the demo, but sill I would rather have a sightly thicker and heavier phone with better build quality. Still to be fair, my Galaxy S has had a couple of free falls already without incident, not sure whether I should attribute it to luck or build quality.

luckyishere said:
I guess Luck :p
I'd say it's not luck but the build quality :)

Plastic would take and damp these kind of shocks much better than metal. Think about the build quality of bubble wrap which safeguard your stuff inside packaging. ;)

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Jun 3, 2005
If anyone here using Autokiller, what preset do you use for Galaxy S. Just rooted my phone for running Autokiller.

kalpik

Disciple
Jan 26, 2006
www.kalpik.com
Lord Nemesis said:
If anyone here using Autokiller, what preset do you use for Galaxy S. Just rooted my phone for running Autokiller.
I use the "Extreme" preset.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

luckyishere said:
Does anyone has any news when are we expecting official Froyo release for galaxy?
September.

vebk

Adept
Nov 30, 2007
Parv said:
I'd say it's not luck but the build quality :)

Plastic would take and damp these kind of shocks much better than metal. Think about the build quality of bubble wrap which safeguard your stuff inside packaging. ;)
Bubble wrap works as protection not so much because of the fact that it's made out of plastic, but because it's got air pockets in it. Metal bodies in phones are 100% more durable than plastic bodies - whether it's normal wear and tear, or even if you drop the phone.

Shripad

ex-Mod
Mar 17, 2005
Class M Planet
Official Froyo date is set for september.
I tried JP3 and honestly, stay away unless you are experimenting. not stable enough for day to day use. Even Tapatalk FCed on me countless times on JP3 Froyo rom.

BTW, I havent noticed it yet, but does Galaxy S too comes with preapplied think screen film like Spica did? I tried looking hard with eyes and even took some micro shots of corner, does not look like it has something on it.

IN that case anyone able to fine full face scratchguard it locally (the one that covers entire face with proper holes / gaps for home key and front cam. )?
I have put in the order through ebay, but it will take some time to get here from HK.

kalpik

Disciple
Jan 26, 2006
www.kalpik.com
vebk said:
Bubble wrap works as protection not so much because of the fact that it's made out of plastic, but because it's got air pockets in it. Metal bodies in phones are 100% more durable than plastic bodies - whether it's normal wear and tear, or even if you drop the phone.
I don't agree with the "even if you drop the phone" part. Ofcource plastic absorbs more shock than metal! How can you deny that?! I mean there is a reason both the front and back bumpers in cars are made of plastic, and not metal! There are special "crumple zones" in every car which are *designed* to crumple in case of the accident to absorb the shock :)

Broken case >> Broken phone

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Shripad said:
IN that case anyone able to fine full face scratchguard it locally (the one that covers entire face with proper holes / gaps for home key and front cam. )?

I have put in the order through ebay, but it will take some time to get here from HK.
I have ordered this: GadgetShieldz for Samsung Galaxy S i9000 Covers,Screen Protectors,Skins,Cases,Shields | Full-Body Invisible Shields,Cases

Heard good reviews about it on the Internet and it seems its the same stuff as Zagg.

dinjo

Hell Yeah[Born Critic]
Skilled
Sep 14, 2009
Mumbai
I have used Motorola Milestone and its quite good how laggy is SGS when compared to Milestone

sathyanaidu

Adept
Apr 22, 2007
Shripad said:

Zagg has one right? but its expensive i feel.. >.<

ultra vires

Adept
Dec 23, 2005
shripad - When are you selling your galaxy S :p

Guys i have an option of buying vibrant/captivate/ Galaxy S , which one should i go for ??

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Jun 3, 2005
Shripad said:

I am using the Scratchgard full face protector that's custom cut for Galaxy S.

Welcome to Scratchgard

Got it courtesy of Satyanaidu. I am currently looking for some way to protect the phone from free falls.

vebk

Adept
Nov 30, 2007
kalpik said:
I don't agree with the "even if you drop the phone" part. Ofcource plastic absorbs more shock than metal! How can you deny that?! I mean there is a reason both the front and back bumpers in cars are made of plastic, and not metal! There are special "crumple zones" in every car which are *designed* to crumple in case of the accident to absorb the shock :)

Broken case >> Broken phone
The reason why cars have plastic bumpers is because it's cheaper to replace a plastic bumper than a metal bumper. And this is in recognition of the fact that bumpers are put at the exact parts of the car which are most likely to get dents and scratches. If we go by your logic, why are cars not entirely made of plastic? As far as crumple zones go, they are made of metal AFAIK not plastic.

Also I completely agree with you that broken case = broken phone. Now ask yourself whether a phone case that's made out of metal is more likely to break or a phone case made out of plastic. If you drop a phone made out of metal, at worst you will get a dent, and more than likely, nothing will happen to it apart from maybe scratches. If you drop a phone made out of plastic, at worst your phone will shatter into several pieces, though more than likely you will get cracks apart from scratches. You can choose which one you prefer.

For the manufacturer plastic is a lot cheaper than metal on several fronts. For the end user, plastic is always a losing proposition. IMHO metal covers along with strategically placed strips of rubber is the best option. That's why the HTC Legend is a fantastically designed phone, and the Galaxy S is anything but that.

kalpik

Disciple
Jan 26, 2006
www.kalpik.com
vebk said:
...As far as crumple zones go, they are made of metal AFAIK not plastic...

Yes, the crumple zones are made of metal, but they are not made of "hard" metal, again, to absorb shock. AFAIK, all metallic body phones are made of "hard" metal.

vebk said:
Also I completely agree with you that broken case = broken phone.

I said having a broken phone cover is better than having a broken phone. For example, if you have a plastic body phone, and the plastic cover cracks, its easy (and cheap) to replace. But if a metallic (hard) body phone falls, the impact is transferred to internal components.

So what I meant was that a broken plastic cover phone is better than having a dented metal phone with a broken LCD/motherboard :p

Anyway, this is *my* understanding of the whole plastic case vs metal case scenario. Of course ultimately only the manufacturer knows what he's doing with the case :)