The Samsung Galaxy Spica i.e. I5700 thread

frankmehta said:
how 12.4 k for it (PLUS A DIGITAL PHOTO FRAME!!!! WOOHOO!!) were 'laughing stock' for days.
Also, about the audio quality, !
my goodness i got it for 12.45k and i thought it was the best deal
now i feel cheated
a photoframe must be atleast a 1000 bucks
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::S:S:S:S:S

can anyone tell me where to get the modem drivers for this phone for TETHERING???

I am no audiophile but I feel that the sound quality of the spica is better than my sansa fuze. I the songs seem to sound better on the phone (maybe its psychological). But right now the phone has become my primary music player.

@frankmehta: waiting for your ipod comparison

Sorry for copy-pasting my post from the other forum. Wanted to share with the members here for their benefit.

frankmehta said:
--SMS/EMail tones cannot be customized.

Here's a way out:

How to customise ringtones/message_tones/notification_tones for your android handset:

1.) Attach usb cable and mount your sd card so that its accessible on your Desktop PC.
2.) At the root of your sdcard, create a new folder and name it "media".
3.) Inside "media", create three additional new sub-folders namely "ringtones", "notifications" & "alarms".
4.) Use these sub-folders to copy your favourite media to and thats it

Note : Folder names are case-sensitive, so letters must be in small-caps only. If your media (.mp3, .wav etc.) don't get listed while making selection inside your phone, try mounting/unmounting ur sd-card or restart your phone, alternatively.

I was in mumbai yesterday and the gps was showing the elevation as -30m

Can anyone else from mumbai tell me what their gps is showing?

Thanks a mill Live2Drive! Great work. It works ;-)

Paddy, I tried using the audio player with my Ep-630's

Read on to find out how it held up against my iPod Touch 3rd Gen 32 Gb

1. The iPod was louder than the Spica at the highest volumes. The Spica sounded loud enough for a closed room, but I dunno how this is going to hold itself up when in a moving train with a lot of ambient noise around and less insulation from the headphones.

2. The bass from the iPod was more distinct and even though muddy, did make itself heard on the EP's. The Spica, on the other hand had some amount of bass, but hardly had a poke at the foundation laid by the 'touch.

3. The iPod was more treble heavy than the Spica (not a good thing) and made the EP's crackle at higher volumes, whereas the Spica maintained a stiff upper lip even at the highest volumes. It basically just means that the inbuilt EQ of the iPod, however flat you try keeping it, does have some amount of factory equalization dialled in, for that 'forward' kind of sound. I preferred the Spica for longer amounts of listening to songs with high treble. Metal etc.

4. In terms of interface, I would say the iPod has met it's match. The interface of the Spica is super touch friendly but disappoints in lacking a 'search' function among tracks. No FLAC support. I tried. Also, the album art shows up well, but there is no cover flow.

5. The iPod touch doesn't stutter with audio even in the most demanding situations. The Spica stutters with audio but very rarely, say 1 out of 20 times that you are doing something RAM intensive. But I must say, the SPica didn't even stutter once, opening HEAVY pages in the inbuilt browser.

A very handy feature in the Spica is the fact that there is music widget on the home screen, and for those that don't like the widget, they can 'pull' down the notification's screen and have 'now playing' mentioned. Click on it and you are into the music player. Simple, sweet and IPHONE/IPOD beating ;-)
Overall, I would take the iPod over the Spica for listening to music anyday. I would term the Spica average in terms of audio quality, which, frankly, is not one of it's strongest points.

No idea about the official dates...

Edit : Regarding the GPS showing the elevation as -30m in Mumbai

This is what i found http://m.eclipsim.com/gpsstatus/

I am standing at the sea shore, but the altitude is always minus 80 feet... Why?

GPS (in android phones) does not report the height above the mean sea level, rather the GPS system compares the height to the WGS84 reference ellipsoid which may be above or below the actual sea level. In different parts of the earth it can be off by more than 200 meters (depending on the mass distribution of Earth). For example the geoid's surface around Florida is above the mean sea level by a good 30-40 meters, which means that standing on the shore would show you -30m as altitude. This is normal, and not an error, and caused by the fact that the altitude is relative to an artificial reference surface and not to the sea level. If you are interested in this topic, I recommend to read this. On long term I will add some options to the program to allow correcting this value.

I have tried this software and couple of others and they all report the same values.

frankmehta said:
Thanks a mill Live2Drive! Great work. It works ;-)

Paddy, I tried using the audio player with my Ep-630's
Read on to find out how it held up against my iPod Touch 3rd Gen 32 Gb

1. The iPod was louder than the Spica at the highest volumes. The Spica sounded loud enough for a closed room, but I dunno how this is going to hold itself up when in a moving train with a lot of ambient noise around and less insulation from the headphones.
2. The bass from the iPod was more distinct and even though muddy, did make itself heard on the EP's. The Spica, on the other hand had some amount of bass, but hardly had a poke at the foundation laid by the 'touch.
3. The iPod was more treble heavy than the Spica (not a good thing) and made the EP's crackle at higher volumes, whereas the Spica maintained a stiff upper lip even at the highest volumes. It basically just means that the inbuilt EQ of the iPod, however flat you try keeping it, does have some amount of factory equalization dialled in, for that 'forward' kind of sound. I preferred the Spica for longer amounts of listening to songs with high treble. Metal etc.
4. In terms of interface, I would say the iPod has met it's match. The interface of the Spica is super touch friendly but disappoints in lacking a 'search' function among tracks. No FLAC support. I tried. Also, the album art shows up well, but there is no cover flow.
5. The iPod touch doesn't stutter with audio even in the most demanding situations. The Spica stutters with audio but very rarely, say 1 out of 20 times that you are doing something RAM intensive. But I must say, the SPica didn't even stutter once, opening HEAVY pages in the inbuilt browser.
A very handy feature in the Spica is the fact that there is music widget on the home screen, and for those that don't like the widget, they can 'pull' down the notification's screen and have 'now playing' mentioned. Click on it and you are into the music player. Simple, sweet and IPHONE/IPOD beating ;-)
Overall, I would take the iPod over the Spica for listening to music anyday. I would term the Spica average in terms of audio quality, which, frankly, is not one of it's strongest points.
good review thanks.
anyways i got iphone and in home screen you can atleast play pause music by double pressing home key. but not that useful i must say

Wraith said:
A couple of new firmwares are available now

I5700DXJB3 www.Samsung-Firmwares.com - Login

I5700XXJC3 Original & with Root - I5700XXJC3 [???????!]- ??? ??????? ? ??????????.
I have currently installed the I5700DXJB3 and it is much faster and smoother to use than I570EDDJB2. But the phone storage is down to 118 mb

Except the improvements in speed there dont seem to be any other changes.
The sites look a little fishy. I'm still looking on how to register my phone. No idea on Samsung Mobile India site!

Galaxy spica has exchange support only if u upgrade to the 2.1 unofficial firmware but not in 1.5 when u buy it!!!

@wraith the dxb3 is not loading

My galaxy spica hangs at the samsung boot screen

Now back to djbb2

:(

@wraith thanks. Buddy installed the firmware but a big problem now

When I download apps from market it shows download unsuccessful! !!!#

Searched a lot, 2g/3g on off doesn't work for me, changed time zone, flashed again but still same

Any help bro???

Back