PC Peripherals The Shift from DDR2 to DDR3 is Happening

broadway

Disciple
DDR2 price hits the sweet spot
Things will start to change
By Nick Farrell
Monday, 28 September 2009, 11:45

THE MOMENT that the analysts have been waiting for, when the DDR2 DRAM price finally matches that of the higher tech DDR3, has finally happened according to DRAMexchange.

DDR2 memory prices have risen to $2 for a 1Gb 800MHz chip, which apparently is the magic moment when suppliers are supposed to say, "sod this for a game of soldiers, it is too expensive and we will start installing DDR3 instead."

The sudden price rise has caught many analysts on the hop. Apparently they were all on holiday, having a nice bath or walking the dog and were completely surprised.

Last week prices for DDR2 RAM increased rapidly and that meant that most PC OEMs found it harder to get DDR2 chips.

Now analysts are apparently rushing to the blower to tell the world plus dog that the transition to DDR3 will be a lot quicker than had been expected. This will be good news for the memory chip industry, which also looks like it is starting to recover.
Ddr2 price hits the sweet spot - The Inquirer

that's a Good news for DDR3 Users & Bad news for DDR2 Users.

I think i should buy 4 more Gigs of DDR2 for my Rig Before the Prices starts to rise again.

Oh damn. I was hoping that DDR2 prices would go down so I can upgrade to 4GB. :(

Now it seems I'll have to save up lots more to upgrade to a DDR3 platform.

oh no. i was waiting for upgrade and this is really a bad news. should i go now or should i have to wait and watch(hoping for small correction to take place in price of ddr2???

@hash

Exactly its just ploy by the hardware companies to force people upgrade their systems.

Intel too is playing a big role in it by confusing people with hell lot of sockets!!!

Some of my friends just upgraded from their DDR1 systems to DDR2 and i advised them to do so...now if DDR2 price continue to skyrocket what the hell will i tell them???

DDR2 to DDR3 transition would have been ok if the RAM prices were cheap and more importantly MOTHERBOARDS were cheap..

Can any one tell me atleast one motherboard that sells below Rs.5000??

These companies just don't care of Budget concious people!!!

Atleast there is hope in AMD..to cater to low end systems..

It is 4 time more powerful in multitasking (which we don't need really) and has 10% increase in gaming performance in some games and is 3 times more expensive! Still we run to buy it :lol:

iprincepankaj said:
Well Intel releases Core i1 with socket 2000 and new overpriced DDR4 RAM..

And makes new mobo compatible only with DDR4 RAMS!!!!!

And we RUN to buy it!

So what are we supposed to do now..??

GEt the DDR2 rams anyways or upgrade[which includes a new mobo+ ram n may b proccy too.]??

Also after how much time will the prices drop of ddr2 ??

@HoliC

Don't think the prices of DDR2 will come down soon in International Market...

But even if it does then too our terrible distributors won't let it come down...and will milk the consumers more!!!!

The best advise i can give is to wait till next year and hope intel brings in cheaper mobo's and DDR3 prices come down considerably...

Otherwise move over to AMD pure VFM... buy a low end DDR3 mobo which might come for around 6K and a smaller RAM and then in next year add more RAM...

i emailed deltapage to know about the ddr2 ram prices and the reply said price drop isn't expected for atleast a month. ddr2 and the recession sailed in the same boat so now when were about to come out of it, the chip makers need to find a way to attract customers and create demand and hence the transition to ddr3. my guess is that the prices of ddr2 will increase further.

ramk.png

current ram prices

HoliC said:
So what are we supposed to do now..??
GEt the DDR2 rams anyways or upgrade[which includes a new mobo+ ram n may b proccy too.]??

Also after how much time will the prices drop of ddr2 ??

DDR2 price rally may last no more than six months, says analyst

Prices of DDR2 chips will continue to enjoy a rally and probably surge over those quoted for DDR3 parts, but the honeymoon period is expected to last for six months at best before DDR3 becomes the mainstream, ...

Sad.. i should have got the 4gb kit back in july for 3k..

Now the price is up by almost 1k..

will it increase further or stay around this mark ??

Back