OC & Modding Thermal paste dilemma

Hi guys,

I'm using a C2D rig with Antibiotic case (2*80mm + 2*120mm) which is still going strong. However, heat is troubling my PC (non-AC environment):

CPU:

I've decided to go for the Hyper TX3 (fan bracket version) - Cooler Master as a replacement for my Intel E8400's stock cooler (it has recently started making noise). I guess I'll overclock a bit (if the temps permit). 120mm coolers won't fit in my PC case.

Temps (stock Intel cooler): 50c idle, 70c full load (Prime95). :S

GPU:

I'm also going to apply fresh TIM to my 1month old refurbished GPU (XFX 8800GT).

Temps: 72c idle @ ~45% fan, 81c load @ 100% fan (gaming). :huh:

Is applying fresh TIM to GPU safe? :ashamed:

TIM:

So which TIM should I opt for? Arctic Silver 5 or Tuniq TX-3?

Both these TIMs have been rated A+.

I read many reviews and most of the reviews are saying that the Tuniq TX-3 is thick like putty/play-doh! :bleh:

Go for the Arctic Silver 5. But to remind you a single * drop on your temps wouldn't be effective until you are into heavy benching. Other alternative would be a MX2.

when you buy a TIM, let us know availability & price of TIMs. could not get any in mumbai about 2 weeks ago.

^^ Get a TIM in the following order --

Tuniq TX-2 [cheap, effective and runs well, have been using for paste month] > Arctic Silver 5 [needs time for curing, but once set you do not need to replace until you open the set-up to clean it] > Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 [really expensive] > Cooler Master HTK-002 paste [next to useless] > Local TIM [useless].

Tuniq TX-2 [cheap, effective and runs well, have been using for paste month] > Arctic Silver 5 [needs time for curing, but once set you do not need to replace until you open the set-up to clean it] > Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 [really expensive] > Cooler Master HTK-002 paste [next to useless] > Local TIM [useless].

Hope this helps, Sire.

Guys, thanks for your suggestions! :)

karizma.r2008 said:
what do you mean by refurbished gpu? gpu cannot be repaired.
My old XFX 8800GT's fan was jammed. So, Rashi replaced the GPU with a new one. The new one looks like a factory refurbished piece. I think the production of 8800GT has stopped.

PoBoy said:
when you buy a TIM, let us know availability & price of TIMs. could not get any in mumbai about 2 weeks ago.
No TIM in Mumbai? I find that hard to believe! :no:
Check with Prime, else order it from theitdepot.com

ALPHA17 said:

LOL, interesting conclusions!
Well, I won't be removing my (new) heatsink once I place it. I'm also going to apply the same TIM to GPU (it's hawt - check temps in 1st post). I'm still confused between Tuniq TX-3 or AS5. :S

Zloyd said:
Ya, even I'm leaned more towards this one. I don't wanna fry my chips :S and moreover TX-3 has also been rated A+ along with AS5 (check link in 1st post).
avinash4 said:
Go for the Arctic Silver 5. But to remind you a single * drop on your temps wouldn't be effective until you are into heavy benching. Other alternative would be a MX2.
OK, someone please answer this: Is there a problem if some AS5 gets on the PCB (by mistake/due to pressure)? I've read various contradictory claims about this one.

Also, I'm thinking of going for Hyper 212 Plus (fan bracket version) - Cooler Master instead of the TX3. :eek:hyeah:
Will have to remove the side 120mm fan and mount it from outside.
I think some users on TE are using this HDT cooler in their Bijli cases! :bleh:

LOL, have been using the local paste here and it works for me, however im not into overclocking and all......

Also yes, could not find TIM@LR last time i went there......

iChaitanya said:
Yup, I'm convinced. :)

Also, CM ThermalFusion 400 TIM comes bundled along with the CM Hyper 212+, so I'll use that. Rated A. I don't care about 0.5c or 1c temp difference.

Thanks for your inputs! :clap:

The TX-2 is rated as B -- 80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test | Thermal Interface Material,Thermal Paste,Heatsink Compound,80-Way Thermal Interface Material Best Thermal Paste Heatsink Compound Cooling Performance Comparison Benchmark Tests, and it is cheaper than the Thermal Fusion 400, was a win-win solution for me.

Of all the thermal paste's I've mentioned in my previous post, I've used all types except the Arctic Silver 5.

Cooler Master HTK-002 is not next to useless...my GPU temp wer arnd 70C during idle...i applied it properly...its 35c now :)
ALPHA17 said:

Hope this helps, Sire.

ALPHA17 said:

I didn't know that & when I went for artic silver I could not find anywhere in Nehru place DElhi,hence I got Cooler Master HTK-002 paste from SMC for Rs 150/- but it does cool a bit, not much.

my system is still showing hot when idle

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

on full load

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

my GPU temp wer arnd 70C during idle...i applied it properly...its 35c now
On gpu where do you apply the paste? open the fan & then apply or somewhere else?

Back