Audio Time for an IEM upgrade. Head-Direct REZERO, RE0, or RE262, or Shure SE530?

sa_ill

Disciple
Oct 21, 2009
Hey all.

I've been using my Shure E5C for the past 4 years (bought them from the US for $600 in 2006!) and I'm absolutely attached to them. They've served me long. Their sound kept improving with age and everything I listen to is more of a spiritual experience albeit a musical one.

Now, the left earphone wire has clipped internally. It does work sometimes but then again some jerk messes it up. Considering the amount of abuse they have taken, they've still worked great. The E5Cs have made me a Shure loyalist.

Anyway, since I'm out of the warranty period and am on my upgrade cycle, I'm considering the following cans:

Head-Direct RE0 or RE-ZERO: never heard about this brand but noticed they're creating a lot of buzz and they need to be amped. I've never ever amped a can so I want people to share their experiences with being on the move and amping. I travel a lot, I mean, ALOT! Lynx-India is charging Rs. 4175 for the RE0 and Rs. 5315 for RE-ZERO.

Shure SE530 Again, this goes for my loyalty to Shure and how they make cans which are built to last, and keep getting better with age. But, they cost a lot. Lynx is chargind Rs. 32,000/- but I can get it from the US for $400/-. They dont need to be amped. I dont mind buying the Shures, but the Head-Direct are priced amazingly and sound attractive.

Head-Direct RE262 Costs 13,086/- from Lynx-India. Now, heres the dilemma: Should I dish out this much for the RE262? Also, do I need to amp them? If so, what amp should I use? Will a FiiO E7 suffice? Also, I really cant understand the difference in SQ between the RE0 and RE262. Is the exorbitant price difference justified?

I have made my mind that if I cant make my mind I'll buy the Se530's with my eyes shut, but again, the value for money that the Head-Direct cans are offering is very very attractive.

Also, if you all could help me in suggesting more places from where I can source these cans and amps from India it be great. Lynx-India’s DAC database is very underwhelming. I’d like suggestions on amps too, but justified whether amping and being on the move is feasible or not.

PS: The music genre I listen to: Mostly all genres, ranging from Classic Rock, Techno, Dubstep, Electronic, House, Female vocals, Indian Classical, Hip-hop, Pop, Indi Rock etc. I have high regard for strong/powerful/from the stomach vocals. Say, something like Laura Marling on Devil’s Spoke, or Robert Plant on [any god damn Led Zeppellin song]. Also, the bass I like is the really deep one. The vibrating one.

Also, I place a hell lot of emphasis on build quality and durability of all my products. There's a reason why I think German made products are the best. They're built to last, but I really cant go for the Sennheiser IE8s. They sound too, and I mean, too bloody artificial and coloured. I'm not a purist, but the IE8s are too much!

Cheers

Sahil

mukulymn

Adept
Dec 8, 2009
U can get re262 for $150 from head-direct. Very good iems and quite similar to 530 (I never heard 530, but as i have read)

esanthosh

Skilled
Jan 3, 2010
Coimbatore
Is E5C similar to SE530 signature? Are you looking for something similar? Then your choices from among the ones you listed would come down to RE-262 with an amp.

RE0 is analytical. Bass is not much in quantity, rolled off a bit. Mids are slightly recessed, thin. Treble has great extension, good sparkle and is considered one of the best with treble, just not under $100.

RE-ZERO is a balanced version of RE0. Same bass quantity, but it will feel more like bass. Mids are forward, not too lean. Treble in adjustment takes a back seat, is more laid back compared to the aggressive RE0, same sound stage.

RE-262 - I think you can read my review and see if it's the one you are after.

Let me also warn that if you place emphasis on build quality, RE0 won't satisfy you. RE-ZERO (the one bundled with HM-601 or the balanced cable version?) and RE-262 have better cables, but don't think they will approach the level of Shures. They don't have detachable / removable cables either.

Shure SE530 too had cable issues, breaks etc., from what I've read. SE535 fixes many of these quality issues and adds a bit more bass and treble, if I remember correctly.

sa_ill

Disciple
Oct 21, 2009
esanthosh said:
Is E5C similar to SE530 signature? Are you looking for something similar? Then your choices from among the ones you listed would come down to RE-262 with an amp.

RE0 is analytical. Bass is not much in quantity, rolled off a bit. Mids are slightly recessed, thin. Treble has great extension, good sparkle and is considered one of the best with treble, just not under $100.

RE-ZERO is a balanced version of RE0. Same bass quantity, but it will feel more like bass. Mids are forward, not too lean. Treble in adjustment takes a back seat, is more laid back compared to the aggressive RE0, same sound stage.

RE-262 - I think you can read my review and see if it's the one you are after.

Let me also warn that if you place emphasis on build quality, RE0 won't satisfy you. RE-ZERO (the one bundled with HM-601 or the balanced cable version?) and RE-262 have better cables, but don't think they will approach the level of Shures. They don't have detachable / removable cables either.

Shure SE530 too had cable issues, breaks etc., from what I've read. SE535 fixes many of these quality issues and adds a bit more bass and treble, if I remember correctly.

True, the RE0 is more analytical, as I've read. I think I like my sound sig a tad little coloured. Head-Direct is offering the RE262 for $160 which in my very honest opinion is a great deal, considering Lynx India is selling them for 13,000/-, and they dont have any Head-Directs in stock currently.

Have you ever ordered from Head-Direct? I want to know how it works out and whether I have to pay a duty.

Also, which amp should I use and again, is the amp + player combo suitable for frequent travelling? I'm planning to get a Sansa Clip+ although I already an iPhone 4.

Cheers

esanthosh

Skilled
Jan 3, 2010
Coimbatore
I've not ordered from Head-direct, but I think a few from here have (Fah33M can shed some light on it). The shipping cost is $10 world-wide. Duties are at the mercy of the customs official. Most times, IEMs escape levy of duty, but you can never be sure as even $15 worth of items have been levied duty at times. I am not sure about the shipping time - could be about 2-3 weeks, sometimes lesser.

You are better off pairing a neutral amp with RE-262 since it's already colored. I used iBasso T3 during the review. I've got Arrow 3G now, which has more power, but I have not tested RE262 with it. I have no idea about other amps like RSA amps (bennysachdev can probably help you there). IMO, iPhone 4 should be a good enough source. It should have enough power to drive RE-262, but will drain the battery faster. Clip+ would not be useful without an amp to pair (otherwise, battery life would be pathetic) as far as RE-262 is concerned.

You can consider SE530, e-Q7 as other choices. SE535 and e-Q5 lessen the midrange focus compared to 530 and e-Q7 respectively. Monster Miles Davis Tribute has a good midrange, but it also comes with loads of bass attached. But, from what I read/am told MD have a very good midrange.

You can also take a look at Westone 4. Though costlier than the other options, it could give you a midrange focused, smooth IEM with good build quality.

bennysachdev

Adept
May 5, 2009
I'm not really sure about price wise. The ck10 is definately cheaper than 13k if you order from amazon. And the sm3 should be between the 300-400$ price mark.

The Ck10 is a better and improved Re0. Which is why I recommended it. It has better imaging, sound stage, mids and instrument separation. Not sure how it compares to the Re262 as I've not heard it for more than 10seconds.

You can check out esanthosh's reviews on the ck10 and the sm3 for more details.

I wouldn't recommend getting an amp for an iem. It jus beats the whole comfort and portability aspect of Iems. If ur coming from shures(which to me are dry, cold and analytical sounding, from my exp with the srh840 and 440), I'd say try something more musical this time. You might love it or just about like it enough. Also do let us know what kind of a sound sig do you like cuz I haven't heard the e5c that you love so much.

sa_ill

Disciple
Oct 21, 2009
@bennysachdev

I'm almost on the verge of ordering the RE262 straight from the Head-Direct website for $150, which includes shipping. That makes it Rs. 6750/- which is a pretty sweet deal. I'm still open to other options, as I really rely on suggestions by people rather than reviews, so feel free to criticize/recommend my choices :p

Coming to my sound sig, well, I absolutely loved the Shures. When I bought them, they were an upgrade to Sennheiser CX 500. I hated the Shure for the first month and was actually depressed since I spent a massive $500 on them! The sound sig was so different. The Senns were bassy and at first I felt the Shure lacked a lot of bass. With time though, the sound grew into me, and slowly, I started noticing how absolutely perfect the mids were. The vocals sounded so so, SO good. Crisp. Exact. You could feel the throat of the vocalist buzzing in. The guitar riffs sound lively and just perfect. As the years passed on, I was constantly under the illusion the the E5Cs just kept getting better and better. I cant really say about the soundstage much, but in some tracks, I felt that the there were 2 huge 5 feet woofers right in front me! I'd called the Shure sig very spiritual and natural, not that coloured. I actually cant really say much on what sort of sig I like since I dont have much experience with a broad category of IEMS.

My close friend recently got a Sennheiser IE8, which came in great bundle, with all the bells and whistles. I borrowed it for a day, and the sound sig was so different. I felt I was thrown right in the middle of the concert stage, so it was good in a way, but then again, I was listening to Laura Marling, and her vocals, which arent loud but yet, are very powerful as she sings straight from her stomach, didnt feel like that on the IE8. They sounded good nonetheless, but still, that vibe I get that shes struggling for her breath while singing was only represented in the Shures. The Shures count for a very spiritual listening experience IMO. I wont say they're the best when it comes to Techno, Electronic and dub-step genres, which is what I'm really into these days.

The sound sig I prefer would be, somewhere in between of the Shure E5C and the IE8. Althought, I still want my mids as the Shure produces, absolutely flawless.

WingZero

Skilled
Jun 24, 2007
USA
You can get Shure earphone on 6ave.com

30% off on Shure's

use below mentioned coupon code.

Code:
AFLHEAD30

expires today

sa_ill

Disciple
Oct 21, 2009
WingZero said:
You can get Shure earphone on 6ave.com

30% off on Shure's

use below mentioned coupon code.

Code:
AFLHEAD30

expires today
Well I checked the site. They dont have SE530. They have SE535 which IMHO are overpriced even after a 30% discount. But thanks nonetheless.

esanthosh

Skilled
Jan 3, 2010
Coimbatore
sa_ill said:
Not really. Are they comparable, price wise and quality wise to the RE-262s?

Personally, I rate both SM3 and CK10 above RE-262.

You can perhaps refer to my RE-262 vs SM3 comparison to get an idea about SM3. But, it is nearly double the cost of RE-262.

CK10 is a different kind of a signature compared to mid-focused RE-262 and SM3. For me, it is the best analytical IEM I've heard thus far + it has perhaps, the thickest cable among universals. I did not mention it because I thought you were looking for something mid-centric.

My personal ranking is : SM3 > RE-262 and CK10 > DBA-02 > RE-0.

sa_ill

Disciple
Oct 21, 2009
Done deal. Have placed my order for Head-Direct HifiMan RE-262 for $149 approx Rs. 7000/-. Now, cant wait to get me hands on it! Head-Direct says it'll deliver it in 5-7 Business days. THE ANTICIPATION!!!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

One more thing, I also want to buy a Sansa Clip+, where do I buy them from? Cant find anything here.

FaH33m

Analog Vibes
Skilled
Apr 29, 2006
sa_ill said:
I wont say they're the best when it comes to Techno, Electronic and dub-step genres, which is what I'm really into these days.
eeks ! I guess I am a little late but Ive been using the RE-262 since last 2-3 days and all I can tell you is its not the IEM for the genres you've mentioned above . Ive been listening to EDM for almost 6 yrs now and that's the primary genre for me . The RE-262 just doesn't have that bass vibes and treble spark needed for electronica .

Also IMO , the 262 does need an amp to bring out what it does best - the mids and soundstage. The mids are amazingly smooth and detailed, the soundstage is pretty wide. Ive been using it with a Fiio E7 amp for last 2 days and the volume on the amp is close to full to get the decent listening levels I get with my TF10 straight out of Fuze on -1dB.(rockbox)Also even with +3 BassBoost on the amp , the bass on 262 feels lacking :ashamed: .

The 262 will be perfect for your other classical or vocal concentrated genres but not for something that needs good bass and treble .

strategy

Skilled
Feb 25, 2010
did you ask them weather you will be getting the TRRS ( balanced t) TRS ( Single ended ) adapter.

they charge 10 extra for that , make sure you get that if they did not include it already ( in the deal )

esanthosh

Skilled
Jan 3, 2010
Coimbatore
FaH33m said:
eeks ! I guess I am a little late

Heh! I had missed reading his last post (on IE8 etc.,) before posting mine. I have no idea how much bass Shure has, but it sure hasn't got too much based on whatever he has mentioned. CK10 can be used for Trance however ;)

RE-262 does not have the extension nor the punch. However, CK10 with Arrow 3G and Bass Boost at max, well! that's different! :p

@sa_ill,

Any specific reason you are looking for Clip+? If you buy Clip+, you will need to get an amp. Why not consider some other player with better output power instead?

sa_ill

Disciple
Oct 21, 2009
esanthosh said:
Heh! I had missed reading his last post (on IE8 etc.,) before posting mine. I have no idea how much bass Shure has, but it sure hasn't got too much based on whatever he has mentioned. CK10 can be used for Trance however ;)

RE-262 does not have the extension nor the punch. However, CK10 with Arrow 3G and Bass Boost at max, well! that's different! :p

@sa_ill,

Any specific reason you are looking for Clip+? If you buy Clip+, you will need to get an amp. Why not consider some other player with better output power instead?
Well, then suggest me some! I'm yet to get a player. Have a Creative Zen and an iPhone 4 at the moment. I wanna chuck the Creative Zen because its kind of old and its buttons are a little messed up but nonetheless it still sounds great with my Shures.

@Fah33m

Appreciate the heads up. Damn!! I was hoping they're good techno and dubstep this is such a bummer!!!

Regarding amps, I'm hearing great things about the Fiio E11, and am seriously considering getting it, its just out of stock at the moment. Would appreciate a heads-up from you guys. Also, if I wanna go for the E7, where do I get it from?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

strategy said:
did you ask them weather you will be getting the TRRS ( balanced t) TRS ( Single ended ) adapter.

they charge 10 extra for that , make sure you get that if they did not include it already ( in the deal )
Well, havent asked them but have sent them a mail now. Thanks for the heads up. Dont mind my noobness but whats the difference between these adapters and which one should I get? I'm too used to the clean and simple Shures!