Unreal Tournament 3

Epic Studios launches Gears Of War for PC this year followed by the much anticipated game for this year Unreal Tournament 3 which was earlier called Unreal Tournament 2007. The game serves well for its franchise over the past few years. Although Gears Of war,Rainbow Six Vegas, Roboblitz, BioShock,Unreal Tournament were developed on the same engine Unreal Tournament seems to be more good looking compared to the other games developed on the UT3 engine:hap2:

Alright lets cut the crap and get down to business. I've tested this game on my system which is at stock and i almost blew my monitor off this time:(

11870.jpg

Hardware Requirements

Test System:
Intel Quad 6600 GO @ 2.4Ghz
Biostar TP35D2-A7
Transcend Jetram 2x1gb @ 800Mhz (5-5-5-18)
Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro 512mb @ 500Mhz (Ati Catalyst 7.11)
Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX @ 1280x1024
Logitech Standard Keyboard + MX518
Windows XP SP2
Minimum Requirement:
Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
2.0+ GHZ Single Core Processor
512 Mbytes of System RAM
NVIDIA 6200+ or ATI Radeon 9600+ Video Card
8 GB of Free Hard Drive Space

I don't have a 8 series card nor can i afford one at this point so all i could do was to test it on my stock card which has a concrete heat sink:hap2:
For testing purpose i locked the FPS to 60 instead of 62

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
54, 1797, 29, 31, 30.050

These are the actual frames captured by FRAPS 2.8.1

CPU:
Unreal Tournament does support multicore systems which means all dual core rig is just right for a smooth gameplay.
But this doesn't mean that single core systems are no good for UT3
(tested on AMD 3500+ single core) got a very good playable FPS with a Gforce 8600GT (bought it from Stormy).:hap2:

Memory:
A sufficient 512mb is more than enough for this game to perform well with all the systems.Although loading takes up more time and texture loading is not fast due to which the game stops for a second and then starts after the loading and unloading of temporary textures is done.:no:

Graphic Cards:
All i have to say is it runs on onboard 6100 also (good new for our very own XT). UT3 engine gives a slight bit of extra edge to those people who has a 512mb cards since the texture unloading is done faster compared 256mb cards ( but to get this edge tweaks are required at a certain extent)

This pretty much rounds it up for the Hardware Specs and requirements
lets head to game play & inside look at what UT3 offers.

Inside Unreal Tournament 3

This time to add a fresh new look to the game Epic Studios has done a spectacular job of Post Processing which render dynamic elements at run-time to take the load off your CPU due to which the game looks extremely stunning even if the resolution is lowered and played.

This time Unreal Tournament delivers a Campaign Mode(single player)
Yes there is a single player mode in this game with a strong storyline keeping you on your edge of the seat through out the game.
The game revolves around certain character Reaper,Malcom & the Necris race who has attacked your colony. This is all show in a cut scene manner where you can actually see some really high detail models and an incredible vast environment with brilliant lighting.

The multi-player aspect consists of Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Duel,Capture The Flag,Vehicle Capture The Flag,Warfare.
The first 3 are simple basic type of gameplay. Vehicle Capture The Flag takes place on a larger area with a wide range of vehicle at your disposal, the maps that actually put VCTF at a different level are suspense, Necropolis & Kargo.
Very well balanced map for strategic players. These map can actually go on for almost 3 hours if played perfectly i landed up playing suspense for 2 hrs with adept level bots. Warfare serves the same purpose like a CTF map but its with nodes it contains majority elements of Onslaught and VCTF. Objective is simple destroy the opponents node but this comes with a twist majority of players will find themselves running around for distance to reach the enemy's node for this purpose the new hover board is introduced controls are simple just move around with mouse, but you can't fire while on the hover board. Maps that you can enjoy Warfare are Downtown, Onyx Coast & Torlan.

The overall quality of the maps are awsome cliffy b the mind behind all these maps have strategically made them from a team based point of view this time UT3 focuses more on teamplay than individuality. Like certain tanks cannot be driven without 4 players controlling the tank and cannons.

Setting for Unreal Tournament 3

There aren't many options in video setting 3 slider in advanced setting and screen resolution on the main screen. I think this must be the only game to have such few options for video setting. I still feel there should have been more options for get mode control over graphics. But even these less setting server the purpose well.
Sound quality has changed the game has more aggression compared to the old UT games the whole techno music is kept aside making space for huge scores in Warfare and VCTF mode.

Comparison In Graphic Quality

All the images are captured by FRAPS 2.8.1 with setting
1280x1024, Texture level 1,2,5
the reason i chose level 5 textures because there is hardly any difference between level 3 and 4

The texture difference is huge between Level 2 and Level 5 nothing is similar even more foilage gets added as the texture level is incereased
Tweaks:

UT3 engine is highly tweakable which is good for gamers with a mid range systems that can come close to those high range systems. You can find some more tweaks here
http://www.techenclave.com/forums/unreal-engine-tweaks-100986.html
i've landed up finding some more tweaks

XXX:\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config

Open UTEngine.ini

OnlyStreamInTextures=FALSE <<< Change it to true this is where the 512mb cards gets the extra edge

ALLOWD3D10=False <<<<<change it to true works with DX10 cards & VISTA
MAXMULTISAMPLES=1 <<<<<<<<<<AA enabling can go upto x8

TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_LightAndShadowMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)

change the values by half on everything out here
e.g TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0)
TO
TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=1)
Again this is for those with the 512mb cards.

Final Thoughts:

Overall this is one action pack game for a quick change of pace from slow FPS games. Graphics are simply amazing with an awsome gameplay backed up by a strong storyline that will engulf you for hours to come combining with great sound for intense battle. Perfect Sci-Fi multiplayer for todays generation and yeah its not a system killer unlike Crysis :hap2: :clap:

Nice Review there Ero.

Keep it up :)

Reps Pending , Stupid rep system on TE doesnt allow me to rep you.

Spread some reps blah blah , i still dont understand the logic behind it.

The physics really doesn't come into play if u don't enable it in the setting otherwise there is the default rag doll physics like UT2k4

DarkNight said:
Good review! Finally my PhysX card gets to see some action....:hap2:

bade bade log bade vade baathey vade bade hardware vade bade flaming potential :rofl:

Great article dude. Finally a new game that i can use on my 7300 gt -_-' till I get the money for a new set of graphics:mad:

there isn't much of physics here if u have a multicore processor a slight bit of improved ware movement is visible in the map onyx coast of u look down from the edge other than that its nothing special its only when u enable hardware physics.

Back