PC Peripherals UPS and Surge Protector

Hi All,
I have a UPS in place which I believe also has an inbuilt surge protectors (heard all UPS do). I am running out of electric sockets to connect my devices like modem, speakers, printer etc. and so have bought a Belkin 8 socket surge protector. Now I have only 1 wall outlet, so I can connect either the UPS or the surge protector to it. That means either the UPS should be connected into the Surge Protector or the Surge protector should go into the UPS.
From an electrical point of view, is one method suggested over the other?

Please suggest if it should be Computer > UPS > Surge Protector or Computer > Surge Protector > UPS

Thanks!

Both are severely problematic if your devices are properly designed and operate correctly, though a UPS connected to a surge is slightly less so.

I suspect the Belkin is not properly designed from my experience with it. The problem is that the UPS generates a switch-on transient which will trip the Belkin which places a massive short-circuit on the line, which also happens to be a load for the UPS. In such a case (surprisingly) a cheap extension board works better.

I don't normally recommend multi-plugs adapters, a but a good one will be a much better choice for you. Crabtree has some nice ones, just get the ones without surge protectors inbuilt.

Back