Vodafone EDGE on iPhone 4

vb86

Adept
My aunt recently bought an iPhone 4 which is factory unlocked. Now, I know that Vodafone has some pricey iPhone data plans. I thought that these plans are only a must for people who have bought carrier locked iPhones from Vodafone in the past. Anyhow, I have got the regular Vodafone Mobile Connect Data Plan activated where I'm paying Rs. 198 for 3Gb.

I just want to confirm if the regular Vodafone data plans can be used on factory unlocked iPhones or not? If yes, please tell me the APN settings.

Thanks a lot!

Yes, it can be used. Am using the same.

Goto unlockit.co.nz from your iphone to download APN settings.... in the settings accesspoint should be "www" for Mobile connect and "portalnmms" for Vodafone Live

Lemme know if you need any more help.

The normal EDGE plans don't work out of the box on iPhone 4 when using Vodafone as there is no way to edit APN settings but as iq6886 mentioned , the above trick works perfectly . I am myself using the 99Rs/2GB/month plan.

the APN setting for VMC is www

no username and password. Using the same since December 2009 :eek:hyeah:

EDIT: If you have APN editing problems, log on to a WiFi network and go to UNLOCKIT.CO.NZ

click CUSTOM APN and select Vodafone - IN from dropbox, click install profile. Reboot and you're ready to go!

P.S - again using the same since December 2009 :eek:hyeah:

How good is the speed on EDGE? Where are you guys from - It really would help us all if you tell us your locations/cities too.

I have just started using Vodafone 3G in Mumbai Rs500 [500MB cap] scheme and am already raped after 9 days.....Rs1800/- see my recent post

terence_fdes said:
How good is the speed on EDGE? Where are you guys from - It really would help us all if you tell us your locations/cities too.

I have just started using Vodafone 3G in Mumbai Rs500 [500MB cap] scheme and am already raped after 9 days.....Rs1800/- see my recent post

Since I have never experienced 3G, so for me, the EDGE speeds are very acceptable. But it depends more on your area's tower that how many people are using the same service.

I get good surfing speeds in case i need to hook my iPhone with my laptop and download speeds are around 18-20 kBps... which is very acceptable in my case.

Thanks a lot guys. Actually, I was well aware of the APN settings for Vodafone since I've been using Vodafone for many years now. When I posted this thread, I was trying to guide my aunt over the phone and she couldn't find the APN editing menu. I met her in the evening and saw that there was no option to edit the APN settings.

So, I used the unlockit.co.nz solution mentioned above and now the data plan is working!

Thanks again!

Btw, is the APN editing menu hidden on all iPhone 4s? I'm surprised that it's not available even on the factory unlocked ones!

vb86 said:
Btw, is the APN editing menu hidden on all iPhone 4s? I'm surprised that it's not available even on the factory unlocked ones!

When I bought a Vodafone locked iPhone 3G, the APN settings menu was disabled so that for browsing, the customer has to opt for Rs. 799 UL plan for iPhone and not the Rs. 299 UL VMC plan. Had an argument on the same with the Vodafone store guy who was hell bent that I cannot use the 299 VMC plan.

Without jailbreaking, I used the UNLOCKIT thingy and showed him how the 299 VMC plan was working. Can't describe the guy's face :D

Some operators delibaretly disable this menu so that the customer cannot go for a cheaper data plan but only an iPhone specific data plan which is way way costiler that existing data plans in market.

Back