Monitors want a TFT monitor

hello everyone,
hmmm.. i`m going for a over haul of my computer... but urgently need a monitor.. as my monitor is nearly 12 years old.. and its gone from bad to worse.
now i wanna buy a TFT monitor.... 15' or 17`..
i`m into games a lot. so need something with high response time... please help me pick a nice tft so i can play all my games pretty smoothly...
also links to some sites with good reviews will be helpful..
budget not decded yet..
aslo i need to know how viable is a SLI solution right now?? can i buy it? i mean what kind of budget would i need to buy a sli solution..
thnaks in advance

I would not recommend TFT. .The base models are around 9-11k for 15 inch TFT.
I would get a high end 17" monitor rather than a low end 15" TFT.
sli right now might not be worth it. AN sli setup will cost you anywhere from 35 - 80K
Minimum requirments for SLI setup
You will need an SLI board..
A8n sli etc around 11-13k
2x Nvidia 6600GT 11-13k each.
Keep in mind that a single 6800GT (which will cost about the same as 2x6600GT cards) will easily out perform 2x 6600GT in sli.
;)

Stalkersoftware said:
Keep in mind that a single 6800GT (which will cost about the same as 2x6600GT cards) will easily out perform 2x 6600GT in sli.
;)
3dmark has shown otherwise.. 2*6600gt will give you a few marks more than a 6800gt . but getting a single 6800gt will be the better option since it may work out cheaper and you can add another one later when you plan to upgrade

There was an ad in the local paper a few days back for a 15" Acer TFT monitor with inbuilt speakers for 9999/- taxes extra. It seems like a good price - I dont play games so response times are not that important.

A friend of mine has an Acer TFT monitor which he has used for 3 years and its image quality is very good.

Does anyone know if this ACER TFT is any good ?

bottle said:
3dmark has shown otherwise.. 2*6600gt will give you a few marks more than a 6800gt . but getting a single 6800gt will be the better option since it may work out cheaper and you can add another one later when you plan to upgrade
but dude 2*6600GT wud cost ya - 11.3k*2 = 22.6k
While a single 6800GT would cost ya 25.5k. So it works out cheaper that way. But still for hi-res gaming with aa and af set to high the 6800GT wud come out tops ! :)

hmmm.. ic.. so i should rather go for a CRt huh....hmmm saad..
ya i did chk out the acer man. the response time is way too high(or is it low??) .. around 23 ms...
its like they are selling foreign junk in india.. damn!
hmmm..
so an sli not good for now???
how long b4 sli will be worth upgrading tooo.. cause i want and need to upgrade to a new high end computer.. b4 july if possible...
also can someone give me like a complete config... for a sli solution..
including processor , mobo, graphics card, anything else i need ???

chic_magnet said:
ya i did chk out the acer man. the response time is way too high(or is it low??) .. around 23 ms...
its like they are selling foreign junk in india..

So it is a high response time display.... that does not matter like I said I dont play games. I will have a look at it and see if the display itself is EAZY on the eyes.

....... Low response numbers = less time = FAST display.... High numbers = SLOW display.....

So what you are saying ACER is dumping old technology over here.... Hmmmm..... :mad:

welll all i`m saying is that there are lower response number TFT's available abroad at just a few extra bucks.... and the one acer is introducing here was already selling abroad like a pancake... but now the tech has become kind of old.. with the intorduction of newer TFt's willl low response times...
anyways please do help me on making a good gaming rig.,... please.

ohh btw i would also like to know is it worth buying a dual-core processor when its released? cause i really don`t think.. frm looking at all that i hae read on a few sites that its gonna make any difference to a majority of the apps which are designed only for a single processor..

IMO, SLI will be worth when dual cores and games that support SLI come out. Even today 2x 6800GT or Ultra cards in SLI are bottlenecked by the CPU.

What is your budget on the rig?

Samsung has a 16ms 15inch TFT model listed in its site. The list price is around 14K. Should be available for 12-13K. The model no is 510N.

510N is for 12.8k just got one for a cousin, pretty good response times only thing 1024*768 resolution looks very hazy.. IMO 15 inch TFT are not worth for Gaming.

Also SLI cards show upto 80% increment in speeds, but yes a 6600GT SLI aint worth it.BTW get a 6800 GT and an SLI mobo.. so in future you can go SLI. But then again a G80 maybe as fast as 2 * 6800 GT's...

ya stakersoftware i was thinking that same man.. but the problem is i wanna upgrade now... so just after a few months the dual cores ae also coming out.
also i read that present mobos can be made dual-core compatible by flashing the bios.. so then i say.. will it be worth to buy a 939 socket sli mobo right. now.. when dual-prcy comes out .. flash the bios and buy the procy..
also me not been able to figure out what the cost will be like. cause someon siad.. here. that it can anywhere between 35-80k.. thats a lot of difference.....
also i can buy a single card and then later buy another one.. when the bottleneck for games will reduce. what say...
aslo i `m not sure what to look out forr when buying a highend rig.... please guide me through this procedure...
i did chk that monitor count_down.. but there are others like samsung syncmaster 172t with 12ms of response time..hope its avaiable here..
achah i also read that you can get a personal computer form abroad without paying customs. so can i include a lcd monitor with it?? also is there any specific cost limit of the computer.. ie only till a certain limit will the pc be free of custom duty??
please help!

chic_magnet said:
native resolution is the one thing that puts the tft on the back foot...man....
also whats a g80 card? any links for the card..

G80 is a next gen Nvidia chipset, little is known about it. But if it wanna compete with R520 has to nearly 2x a 6800 GT

Aces170 said:
510N is for 12.8k just got one for a cousin, pretty good response times only thing 1024*768 resolution looks very hazy.. IMO 15 inch TFT are not worth for Gaming.

How will the 510N be for work? I am thinking about getting a monitor for myself. As I have a 17 inch CRT which I'll use for games, I plan to use the new monitor mainly for work. I was told that TFTs give less eyestrain than CRTs and 15 inch TFT has almost the same viewable area like a 17 inch CRT. So, @12K, the 510N seems a good deal. Want to know your views.

I hope I am not hijacking the thread!!

For work purposes at 800*600 resolution the monitor is very good, does not give an eyestrain, but the same for a 17 inch CRT @85 hz and with Contrast set to low. Personal ly setting the contrast to low reduces a lot of eyestrain especially if the room is well lit.

ok i got a new question....

i really do wanna go for a tft monitor..
say the monitor has a native resolutiion of 1600*1200
also i got 2*6600gt`s ... ok .. and i play all the games at 1600*1200 presently. and till say 2 years..
but then my cards can't handle the games at resolutions of 1600*1200.... so now i have to lower resolution .now..
so will i get problems with my tft not displaying properly cause of reduction in resolution and as a result me not getting that good a performance..
please help me with this..
aslo would like to know what are the numbers like.. 2-3-3-5 or 2-2-2-5 indicate when talking about memory latancies??
which would be a good memory stick (512*2) for an asus a8n mobo....
i`m thinkinh of ocz or even crucial.. please tell me... what sould i go for.. if possible the memory make and model..
thanks in advance..

oh one more question....
i`m thinking of getting the amd 64 4000+(clawhammer) procy.... with asus a8n-sli mobo..
so tell me... would it be worth now to buy 2*6800gt(evga) ..
or should i go for 2*6600gt....
i wanna buy 2 cause i won't get another oppurtunity to buy anything again :((..
also would wanna know how cheap would it be to buy all the products in the USA assemble it there and bring it over here....
can someone give examples and also cite from where i can get information on import duties on assembled computers..
thanks again!

Back